What is the greatest game ever played at BDS at Grant/Hyundai Field?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The 51-48 win in 99 was special. First of all it is the last home win we have had against UGA. But the second and most important reason is the fumble at the goal line at the end of regulation. I was (and am) a Season Ticket holder and took Marta that day. The fumble being called and feeling the game was absolutely stolen from them (and it was) drove UGA fans crazy. And to top it off the blocked FG on 3rd down and then converted FG on 4th down made their fans even more crazy (though those plays were legal and a brilliant strategy by our head coach). It made the win even more special and hoping/waiting for another home win against UGA.
I convinced that after that 1999 game the SECheat said, “Never again.” Up until 3-4 years ago the visitors brought the refs and my experience watching many of those games in person has left me almost certain that they were instructed not to let Tech win if at all possible. One would think that Tech might get some reciprocal love from ACC refs in Athens, but their incompetence negates any that may be present.

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow
My first GT game.

1703792882849.png

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
ND got boatraced by Southern Cal that year too.
They went into Sugar at 9-1-1.
So no.

I go for 99 UGa or 08 FSU.
ND was 9-0-1 when they met USC and lost 23-3. They had a great D that season but their O was suspect at times. UGA had Herschel.

Last edited:

GoldenBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
You’re young, so I’ll forgive this. But IMO this is a very toxic attitude. Enjoy every Tech accomplishment and ignore secondary effects, even involving UGA.

I was a student at that game, and my memory is that we never sat down. Incredibly exciting.
I agree. We were in an electric field from start to finish, actually an awesome human experience.

Historical note: Notre Dame was No. 1 until this game but they played and lost to Ugag in the Sugar Bowl.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Just so that y’all know — and today, I’m sure many will think it’s funny (I do), but it’s true — at my high school’s end-of-regular-season football banquet, for entertainment our high school football coach used a movie projector to replay the entire 1962 Alabama-Georgia Tech football game.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Just so that y’all know — and today, I’m sure many will think it’s funny (I do), but it’s true — at my high school’s end-of-regular-season football banquet, for entertainment our high school football coach used a movie projector to replay the entire 1962 Alabama-Georgia Tech football game.
That’s awesome!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
When I played Gray-Y (I think it was called) football in a Dekalb County elementary school (called grammar school) our coach did the same at our year end banquet only it was Tech beating uga.

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow
I was in the lower east with the rest of my student brethren that day. It was truly a game for the ages.
I was 7 years old and there with my grandparents. Their tickets were in the upper west.

Two distinct memories I have from that game, the smell of pipe smoke and a lot of ND fans, actually looked like leprechauns.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
I haven’t been around too long so my answer may be a bit more recent than y’all’s. But 2015 FSU still gives me shivers to listen to the playcall. Being there in person was electric

GT05

Jolly Good Fellow
Taking about great memories of Tech football is awesome in knowing that we are turning the page and going back to those days, soon

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
Taking about great memories of Tech football is awesome in knowing that we are turning the page and going back to those days, soon
Imo the Duke 2022 game feels like a major inflection point.

CBKs first home game. Homecoming.

A back and forth grit your teeth battle to OT. Previous coaches and teams would’ve rolled over and said “that’s a good loss.” But this team had a different goal and energy. Felt like that’s when the team truly became Brent’s

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
Fog bowl against UGag in 1985 with Gary Lee's return and Ted Roof willing the defense with a broken leg... That's probably the best home game I attended, followed by Clemson in 2011... Was at the GT-UVA game in 1990 with my mom, who said the only game that rivaled that one was the 1962 'bama game, which she also attended...

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Your Mom
Fog bowl against UGag in 1985 with Gary Lee's return and Ted Roof willing the defense with a broken leg... That's probably the best home game I attended, followed by Clemson in 2011... Was at the GT-UVA game in 1990 with my mom, who said the only game that rivaled that one was the 1962 'bama game, which she also attended...
is right! 1962 Bama. Was that the only time we beat No.1?