What is the greatest game ever played at BDS at Grant/Hyundai Field?

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I have to go with the 1980 Notre Dame game when we beat them 3-3. No one and I mean no one gave Tech a chance. One of the local sports celebrities allegedly said that Tech had no business being on the same field as Notre Dame. Those were dark days for Tech football, almost as bad as when TFG was here. Only 41,000 showed up. Everyone was a dwag fan and they were playing the same time we were. Our defense played lights out and were later recognized by Sports Illustrated back during the days Sports Illustrated was the go to sports authority.

Go4Tech

Jolly Good Fellow
During my sophomore year; I don't know if it was greatest...but certainly most unexpected:

This article is Furman Bisher at his finest. How I long for sports writing like this....

Agree. Was at that game!

Called my dad after the game to tell him first hand about it versus letting him find out via the TV banner scroll.

THWG!

Also agree, Mr. Bisher could write a story to make you think you were there!!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The 7-6 win over undefeated No. 1-ranked Alabama in 1962.

Bobby Dodd and Billy Lothridge over Bear Bryant and Joe Namath.

An intense, slobber-knocking nail biter from start to finish. The greatest game ever played on Hugh Inman Grant Field.

Easily.
As a RAT On THE GAME OF THE WEEK in 66 we beat #3 Tennessee 6-3. Kim King was qb and I think he quick kicked to flip the field. We had great ol, legendsry rb Lenny Snow, Lynn Bias and Crag Bynam as wr. Still 6-3.

Was at Tech 2 years before i realized we were not in SEC.
Moved to Texas then returned for 40 th Homecoming against Vt on Thursday night. That game was so good they band refused to stop playing ramblin wrek till they tore down the goal posts. The young engineers rammed it up in west stands and broke off the posts They took them around campus and finally delivered it to TFPrez.

Gtyellowjackets

Jolly Good Fellow
Supposedly the 1927 uGAg game when they were ranked #1 and we won and knocked them out of the Rose bowl. We won the Rose bowl the next year. The UGAg lawyers in the state legislature were so incensed as they saw that many of the GT players were majoring in Commerce (present day Business) and had the program removed and given to the Georgia State night school a couple of years later (1932) in an effort to undermine GT’s football program. The GT School of Commerce was the top in the South at the time (founded 1914). Industrial Management was added in the mid 1940s as sort of a make up for dropping the Commerce dept from GT. After all the programs are supposed to drive the state‘s economy, but the dumb dwag fans just want to win football games. The GA State legislature and BOR have a long history of undermining GT in order to damage its athletic program in order to boost UGAg. And the state of GA suffers for their stupidity.

Last edited:

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Couple weird games - cold but important 6-3 win over Va, Tech in 1990. Had to have that game late in year on 11-12-90. Sisson field goal at 5 minutes to tie and 38 yarder to win with 8 seconds left. UGA and Gary Lee kickoff return for a TD in the fog in 1985 20-16. Four better games attended not at BDS. Citrus Bowl 41-23 over Nebraska 1990, 2014 Orange Bowl 49-34 Missie St, 1999 Gator Bowl beating Notre Dame 35-28, and 1990 UGA in Athens for undefeated season 41-23.

gtbb

Georgia Tech Fan
I'd say UGA 1985, Clemson 1990, and Notre Dame 1980 were all up there as the greatest game(s). My personal favorite game that I attended was 1989 UGA. I was at the '85 game, but I enjoy '89 more, for some reason.

An underrated game: During one of my junior years, 1986, we beat Tennessee in what seemed like an upset. It was a night game in the rain, with about 30-35K people, and we had a great struggle with UT, winning at the end when UT's FG attempt hit the upright and bounced back into the end zone. The crowd just erupted. It was great. The atmosphere was pretty good, because the people that stuck it out were the hard-core fans. I was pretty drunk at the game, and celebrated into the night...

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I attended the ‘99 and ‘00 games.

Great wins.
The 51-48 win in 99 was special. First of all it is the last home win we have had against UGA. But the second and most important reason is the fumble at the goal line at the end of regulation. I was (and am) a Season Ticket holder and took Marta that day. The fumble being called and feeling the game was absolutely stolen from them (and it was) drove UGA fans crazy. And to top it off the blocked FG on 3rd down and then converted FG on 4th down made their fans even more crazy (though those plays were legal and a brilliant strategy by our head coach). It made the win even more special and hoping/waiting for another home win against UGA.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
Couple weird games - cold but important 6-3 win over Va, Tech in 1990. Had to have that game late in year on 11-12-90. Sisson field goal at 5 minutes to tie and 38 yarder to win with 8 seconds left. UGA and Gary Lee kickoff return for a TD in the fog in 1985 20-16. Four better games attended not at BDS. Citrus Bowl 41-23 over Nebraska 1990, 2014 Orange Bowl 49-34 Missie St, 1999 Gator Bowl beating Notre Dame 35-28, and 1990 UGA in Athens for undefeated season 41-23.
I was at that VT game. Froze my *** off