What is GTSWARM?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Being critical of a player for failing to make a play or a coach for poor play calling, for example, I have no issue with. When you start with personal attacks on players or coaches, in my opinion, is when the line is crossed.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This board is already sooooooooooooo much better than the other boards it's not even funny. Just the fact that we're having this discussion with and open minded mod says it all.

That said, I'd hate to see this site devolve into pissing contests over who likes the coach and who doesn't. Those things are never decided by mutual, respectful debate and always end up being more about the posters who are arguing than the points either are trying to make. I've been guilty of letting my temper or ego get the best of me on other boards and I appreciate this board more than you know.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
A tale of the tape feature would be awesome. Steebu / Stylee (iirc) from bbuzzoff have done this very well. If we could get one or both of them here, that would be cool.

Otherwise, my one suggestion would be that we distinguish between emotional reactions or opinions and propositional claims. Someone who makes the latter should have to be willing to defend it. We all have the right to our own opinions but not facts

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I've just have a couple of thoughts (for what they are worth). First, I want to thank everyone who contributes to keeping this board up & going. Second, I will never be able to contribute much in the way of analysis, projections, etc because I just don't have that ability. Truth be told, I probably only understand about a third of what is talked about when it comes to analyzing the games BUT I enjoy reading about my favorite team....

All of this for me too :)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I love to talk Tech sports with like-minded fans; "like-minded" being people who genuinely interested in the success of our programs. I gravitate towards optimistic and/or pragmatic attitudes: I tend to avoid pessimists, narcissists, belligerents and trolls.

I came aboard here because the talk was about X's and O's, recruiting, and analysis. It was so refreshing to go through a thread where each contribution to the thread was meaningful. I only contribute when I have something to say, which is part of the reason my post count has always been so low on other boards.

I also liked the fact that personal attacks aren't allowed and the language is such that I can allow my 13 year old son participate. This is the only board I feel comfortable with him on.

I am grateful to Eric and the rest of they guys that put their efforts into making this such an informative site. Being in Chicagoland, GT doesn't get much coverage. I don't care for the AJC, and I have to weed through so much "look at me" garbage on other boards for that kernel of information that many times I just give up. GTSwarm has provided what I used to get from GTSports before it went dormant.

Thanks guys.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I fear that it doesn't matter what gtswarm has been. It seems to me that as a lot of the bbuzzoff folk who like to post their opinions about cpj without defending them with rational bases come here to shout their chowder, it will become bbuzzoff. Just my opinion.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I fear that it doesn't matter what gtswarm has been. It seems to me that as a lot of the bbuzzoff folk who like to post their opinions about cpj without defending them with rational bases come here to shout their chowder, it will become bbuzzoff. Just my opinion.

Truly hope that that doesn't become the case....

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm from gtsportstalk, formerly bbuzzoff, and I can say there's only one guy like you described on this board, Atl1, and he's been here a long time.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I'm from gtsportstalk, formerly bbuzzoff, and I can say there's only one guy like you described on this board, Atl1, and he's been here a long time.
What is it that I say that doesn't have merit or don't have bases?
I was a member of gtsportstalk as well as atllove.
Before it's demise I considered this board the "Homer" board in comparison to the other message boards.
I came to this board through Eric after he stated he was started a board to follow recruiting info, since then it's grown. I like it. I miss the X & O post of the other board but that's probably coming. Personally I think opinions on this board need to be more balanced. If you think I'm bad wait till Helluva, AllGT, and others make it to here.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
What is it that I say that doesn't have merit or don't have bases?
I was a member of gtsportstalk as well as atllove.
Before it's demise I considered this board the "Homer" board in comparison to the other message boards.
I came to this board through Eric after he stated he was started a board to follow recruiting info, since then it's grown. I like it. I miss the X & O post of the other board but that's probably coming. Personally I think opinions on this board need to be more balanced. If you think I'm bad wait till Helluva, AllGT, and others make it to here.
(this is not specifically targeted at you, per se. It is targeted at individuals at other boards I've encountered.)

I don't mind opinions contrary to mine. It's all in the way those opinions are expressed. Three commonly occurring things on other boards get very tiresome, imo:

1. Incessant repetition of the same talking points, over and over and over with no new evidence, data or ideas. For example, when guys continually throw up CPJ's record vs "the big 4." We get it, and we're not stupid. We haven't done well pulling out those games. To use that as your trump card in every single argument is weak.

2. Thread trolling. Turning every thread into a "I hate the coach" discussion or hit and run sarcastic jokes at the coach.

3. Belittling fellow posters with condescension. I agree, that everyone has a right to an opinion. But nobody has the right to assume their opinion is any more right or valid that anyone else's and to imply someone else is a dumbass for having a different opinion is way over the line. This type of discourse is commonplace on Stingtalk. If that's your thing, have at it over there. (As to this point, I admit to have being sucked into doing this in the past. When I read something of this sort I sometimes respond in kind. Shame on me for doing so.)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure if there is a history with ATL1 on other boards since I rarely visited bbuzzoff or gtsportstalk. Based on discussion on this board and what I want the board to become, I think his points represent a big enough portion of the fan base to be very relevant. Calling out him or other fonts is not helpful. Yes, ATL1 may be emotional, but so are others who do not see some element of truth in his posts re: CPJ or the offense.

Not every argument can or should be won on stats alone. Ben Roethlisberger is not better than Peyton Manning because he has more Super Bowl rings. Alex Rodriguez is not one of the greatest baseball players of all time because he builds his stats on middle relief and struggles in the limelight of the big moment.

I agree that stats have a place in every debate but it's not the end all be all. Perception sometimes ends up being reality, and if we don't respect folks who make points on perception then we will just have the "sunshine and rainbows" board that I don't want this to become either. Everyone on this board is coming from the right place i.e., we want GT to win and win often. In the end folks just disagree on the best way to reach that goal, and it's ok.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure if there is a history with ATL1 on other boards since I rarely visited bbuzzoff or gtsportstalk. Based on discussion on this board and what I want the board to become, I think his points represent a big enough portion of the fan base to be very relevant. Calling out him or other fonts is not helpful. Yes, ATL1 may be emotional, but so are others who do not see some element of truth in his posts re: CPJ or the offense.

Not every argument can or should be won on stats alone. Ben Roethlisberger is not better than Peyton Manning because he has more Super Bowl rings. Alex Rodriguez is not one of the greatest baseball players of all time because he builds his stats on middle relief and struggles in the limelight of the big moment.

I agree that stats have a place in every debate but it's not the end all be all. Perception sometimes ends up being reality, and if we don't respect folks who make points on perception then we will just have the "sunshine and rainbows" board that I don't want this to become either. Everyone on this board is coming from the right place i.e., we want GT to win and win often. In the end folks just disagree on the best way to reach that goal, and it's ok.

Thank you for posting this. Well said.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

I agree. But civility is paramount. With the apparent demise of GTsportstalk, if some of those guys come over here, the mods here are gonna be busy.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I agree. I just think that people who are expressing subjective perception and feeling should not post like it hss an objective basis.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I agree. But civility is paramount. With the apparent demise of GTsportstalk, if some of those guys come over here, the mods here are gonna be busy.

I try not to attack anyone on any board, but I've been attacked numerously here, and sometimes I haven't responded well. For that I apologize. I don't just throw shade at CPJ either, I give credit where credit is due. The GPA and graduation rates are a positive, the performance on the field a negative, his recruiting a negative. The only member who I've seen provide a reasonable explanation for their support for this coach is Boomer, yet I have to provide a thesis when I post. In truth, I have provided reasons as to why I feel CPJ should be removed many many times, but honestly I hope I'm wrong and he turns things around and makes the program an upper echelon program to which it should.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I try not to attack anyone on any board, but I've been attacked numerously here, and sometimes I haven't responded well. For that I apologize. I don't just throw shade at CPJ either, I give credit where credit is due. The GPA and graduation rates are a positive, the performance on the field a negative, his recruiting a negative. The only member who I've seen provide a reasonable explanation for their support for this coach is Boomer, yet I have to provide a thesis when I post. In truth, I have provided reasons as to why I feel CPJ should be removed many many times, but honestly I hope I'm wrong and he turns things around and makes the program an upper echelon program to which it should.
Personally, I don't think you're all that bad. Some of those guys on TOS...... I hope they never make it over here. One thing that sticks in my craw is when guys don't put CPJ's performance into it's proper context. Context varies from school to school. The playing field is very unlevel. It heavily favors schools that do not challenge their players academically. We have no way around that. It limits who we can offer, but more importantly it limits who's up to the challenge. There's very few blue chippers that are and those guys have schools with even higher academic and athletic presitige luring them away.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

I agree. I just think that people who are expressing subjective perception and feeling should not post like it hss an objective basis.

Agreed on all of the above. For good discussion it's imperative to listen to counterarguments. Listening means being willing to change your opinion based on what others are saying. If your opinion is set in stone no matter what, then you're not listening and may as well not post.

To those who cite wins/losses alone - i.e., mainly the CPJ and offense detractors - just remember that Ben Roethlisberger is not better than Peyton Manning, and that Trent Dilfer was not better than Dan Marino just because the former won more Super Bowls. Plenty plays into wins/losses aside from a coach, an offense, and it's QB.

To those who cite points per possession and yards per play - i.e., mainly the CPJ and offense enthusiasts - just remember elements of feel, being clutch, and making plays when it matters (Derek Jeter vs. Alex Rodriguez) have their place in determining success.

The grey area is the space between taking wins/losses at face value alone vs. breaking down the reasons for wins/losses. Neither is an absolute indicator of success, and everyone just needs to play nice in the grey area. Getting off my soapbox now...