What is Butker's Problem?

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Good point Boomer. Butker's mechanics are awesome and he isn't missing by much. He is way ahead of where Scott Blair was at comparable points in their careers.

And for those who have forgotten Blair became extremely consistent by 2009 and IIRC made 5 FGs in the ACC championship game vs Clemson.

I'm really not worried about Butker. He has a lot of it figured out and just needs reps and adjustments. Smart kid too...should be able to handle the mental side of things.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The good news is he has the talent. The bad news is the problem is in his head. The coaching staff has to figure out how to get him past the mental thing. Each player is different, some need to be benched, some need to be coddled, some need to be left alone. I sure don't know.

Yesterday the miss was partly on the wind. I saw the ball take a prompt jump to the left about half way there.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I am sure nobody wants to hear this, but the miss at Pitt was heading towards the river. It is the open end of the stadium and when the stadium first opened pro kickers had problems on that end of the stadium. If I remember correct there is something about the wind off the river that doesn't show itself with the flags at the top of the uprights. He has had a rough season but I am sure he will correct the problem.

So, what you're saying is that he missed the kick because the city of Pittsburgh sucks?

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
The good news is he has the talent. The bad news is the problem is in his head. The coaching staff has to figure out how to get him past the mental thing. Each player is different, some need to be benched, some need to be coddled, some need to be left alone. I sure don't know.

Yesterday the miss was partly on the wind. I saw the ball take a prompt jump to the left about half way there.
I don't think it is in his head. He hits the the ball well every time. Seems like more of an alignment problem. The announcers mentioned the crazy winds at that end of the stadium.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
It is good thing we are a good 4th down team, FG kickers really can go in bad streaks esp when they have few chances

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
What is the original poster's problem?
I don't have a problem, except in my dissatisfaction with Butker's kicking, which I characterized as "erratic"... I think this is a fair characterization, given the number of missed kicks that should have been made - if he didn't have a problem of one sort or another...

Kid has a hell of a leg, and I agree - he strikes the ball exceptionally well... He's just not putting on the right line for some reason...

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
He is a kicker therefore by default he is a head case. He has earned his schoolly for his kick offs if nothing else. He just needs to get his head together and kick with confidence on the field goal attempts. He can do it. The question is will he do it. We may have to find another field goal kicker for next year if these problems persist and just let him handle kick offs.

Go Jackets!

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
At this point, if we were down by 2 against Ugag with 3 seconds left with a 35-yd field goal attempt from the left hash to win the game, who do you go with? At this point, I'd put the backup kicker in for that situation. If it was a 55 yarder, sure let Butker do it as he's the only one with a chance to do it, but if it's a shorter one right now, with a game on the line from the hash, I'm not feeling confident with him. I do agree that he's got the stuff to be a great kicker and that he will probably eventually figure it out, but in the meantime, the fate of a program is on the line.

Declinometer

Banned
His kickoffs have been great. Just one out of bounds I think. Very few returns. I recall to often in the past kickoffs to the seven yd line.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Golfers, baseball pitchers, and field goal kickers. It happens to most all of them at one time or another. Some recover; some don't. I believe Butker will be fine.

FatPat

Jolly Good Fellow
I have been watching this thread unfold and biting my (what ever I could find) - I have watched this boy play since high school, at that time it was like "oh ****" all they have to do is get past midfield and it is another 3 points! So many are sterio typing him as your typical head case kicker, he is not- the boy is an unbelievable athlete in many sports and just happens to have a great leg! For those that Sunday morning q.b. - the average snap to the holder is .2-.4 seconds- when that snap starts the holder (which I know who is, but like someone to post it after for his recognition, has to catch it after 7.5 yards - spin it if needed and tilt it appropriately!!!! It is a three man process that is started in a half of second! Now Harrison kicked 50 plus field goals in high school, the cross bars are closer in college. High school kickers kick off of a block, every kicker of national rankings including him kicked like college off the grass or on a 1/4 inch block so the high school holder knew where to put the ball. Before you judge him, come to a game early - like 90 minutes before and watch him wArm up- he will set up almost at the sideline and drill the uprights! Just saying! His mechanics are unbelievable, his head is true- let's not get into his head. Trust me on this!

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I have been watching this thread unfold and biting my (what ever I could find) - I have watched this boy play since high school, at that time it was like "oh ****" all they have to do is get past midfield and it is another 3 points! So many are sterio typing him as your typical head case kicker, he is not- the boy is an unbelievable athlete in many sports and just happens to have a great leg! For those that Sunday morning q.b. - the average snap to the holder is .2-.4 seconds- when that snap starts the holder (which I know who is, but like someone to post it after for his recognition, has to catch it after 7.5 yards - spin it if needed and tilt it appropriately!!!! It is a three man process that is started in a half of second! Now Harrison kicked 50 plus field goals in high school, the cross bars are closer in college. High school kickers kick off of a block, every kicker of national rankings including him kicked like college off the grass or on a 1/4 inch block so the high school holder knew where to put the ball. Before you judge him, come to a game early - like 90 minutes before and watch him wArm up- he will set up almost at the sideline and drill the uprights! Just saying! His mechanics are unbelievable, his head is true- let's not get into his head. Trust me on this!
I have watched him before games and at scrimmages as well and Butker has unreal talent and an amazing leg. I understand why CPJ says if he works hard at the game he can kick in the NFL one day. This entire thread is built not on his body of work but on one kick at possibly the hardest goal post to connect with in football that NFL kickers routinely miss on. But I would have just nuked this thread based on the title alone. I am not amused at a thread title that mentions one of our SA's by name in an a-hole question of "what's his problem?"

I have shared before my views on how or when to utilize Butker if it is kicking from the hashes and have no problem going for it on some 4th downs if we haven't gotten the ball into a position that plays to the current strengths of the place kicking team and Butker. But for all the talk of "gonna cost us a game" so far Butker actually did have a game winning field goal. So far e is 1-0 if we are keeping score of games he "wins" or "loses."

FatPat, Sounds like you can bring some insight into Butker and the kicking game so please do anytime.

FatPat

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks Bruce, everyone needs to realize, special teams- punts, field goals or extra points- they are more then a one man game and you only have one shot- Offense you have multiple (up to 4) do overs! Kick or punt. You have one shot!

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I have watched him warm up. He is not consistent with his alignment. He should consider practicing his angles on a field without stripes.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have watched him before games and at scrimmages as well and Butker has unreal talent and an amazing leg. I understand why CPJ says if he works hard at the game he can kick in the NFL one day. This entire thread is built not on his body of work but on one kick at possibly the hardest goal post to connect with in football that NFL kickers routinely miss on.

disagree with your premise - this thread is NOT the result of one missed kick last Saturday but rather based on his body of work (on FG's, not kickoff's). "Unreal" talent cannot be judged from warmups - it has to translate to the field. Too many athletes, in too many sports, look good in practice but cannot produce in game situations. For proof, watch me hit golf balls on the range. Then play 18 holes with me.Sadly, it's not the same.:(

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I really want Butker to succeed. I think everyone on here does.

The body of work for GT is 7 of 12 FGs this year and 10 of 14 FGs last year. Last year he was 53 of 54 in EP and this year he is 36 of 36. KOs are great this year with him being 3rd in the country in distance and 5th in TB %. Yes he has only had one OOB - in the GSU game out of 49 KOs. Last year he had 4 of 83 OOB.

So he is damn good and has gotten better in all areas except for FG accuracy. Last year to start the year, his extra points were more erratic and low. I think the one which was blocked was low. But he fixed that. Also his placement of the ball on KOs was a lot less consistent than this year. I have also gone and watched Butker warm up FG kicking and he is really good off the stand.

FGs are hard to make, but most other teams (like 107) have more accurate FG kickers this year. In the Pitt game, I think the wind grabbed the ball but that wasn't the case for the other 4 misses.

I have no idea what it will take for him to get better, but based on improving EPs and KOs it is likely to happen.