What If...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
...Austin Jackson had actually shown up to play basketball (and baseball) for GT?

-Rated 4 star PG

-Paul Hewitt's record during the 4 years AJ would have been here:
2005-2006: 11-17
2006-2007: 20-12 (NCAA 1st round)
2007-2008: 15-17
2008-2009: 11-17

-Does Javaris Crittenten (#3 PG for 2006) sign the following year if Austin Jackson comes?

Hind sight being 20/20 I'm glad he didn't. I must confess at the time it did give blewit a credible excuse to the point guard woes that has since transpired. He was a huge loss at the time. He spurned us very late in the process, which left blewit no real chance to find a adequate replacement. Jarvis wouldn't have came and again the 20/20 thing that might have been best for us and him. He was looking for the lottery ticket at Tech. Jarvis wasn't ready for the NBA when he left. That whole class could be a picture in the book what has gone wrong with college bball.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Probably doesn't change much of anything IMO. Hewitt would've still gotten fired around the same time. The valuable assistants were already gone and that's where the wheels seemed to start coming off.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
What if Baron Davis' grandfather hadn't died and he'd decided to go to GT instead of UCLA?

Also, I'm booing you from my office @Techster . This thread has the potential to go bad places once the HewHate gets revved up.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I knew a former Hewitt player from Sienna at our golf club. I asked him about his opinion of Hewitt as a coach during our last couple of years with him, and he had nothing to say, good or bad. Usually a former player will only speak in positive terms and will not be critical of former coaches. He had nothing to say either way so I took that as a negative. The next year was Hewitt's last year at GT. The guy played in Europe for several years and is now is an assistant coach in a small college. He was a good college player and held one of the offense records at Sienna. So I figure he was credible. He has moved away from our area so I don't get to talk basketball with him any more.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
We'll need video of this, or it didn't happen.

Went something like this ....
BooThisMan.gif

You owe me a hat.

Also, see what you've started?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
...Austin Jackson had actually shown up to play basketball (and baseball) for GT?

-Rated 4 star PG

-Paul Hewitt's record during the 4 years AJ would have been here:
2005-2006: 11-17
2006-2007: 20-12 (NCAA 1st round)
2007-2008: 15-17
2008-2009: 11-17

-Does Javaris Crittenten (#3 PG for 2006) sign the following year if Austin Jackson comes?

Good point---I ALWAYS thought this was the key mistake of Blewiits time.IT seemed EVERYBODY knew the guy would get a million bucks and go baseball --BUT Blewitt. Why you would not have a backup plan for that?, it sealed his fate.You don't play good winning college bball without a real PG. (see Gregory)