What GT Does-Gap Running (Power/Counter)

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
So, there has been a lot of talk on this forum about schemes and using players, and such, so I thought I'd do a little piece showing what it is that you guys actually do, so that if you're watching the game, and want to rewind a play and understand what's actually going on you can.

Before we start this, we should talk about what the problem is that offenses are trying to solve, before we talk about how they plan to solve it. (As you guys are engineers, this should appeal to you).

The basic problem in the run game is as follows: As the offense, we're required to freeze for a full second before the play starts. The defense is not. That means that although we know where we want to go, what we DON'T know is whether there will be a guy lined up in the way. We have to plan for him being in the way, though, because if we just HOPE we can guess right, and there won't be somebody there, we'll win 50% of the time which….not good enough.

Over time, offenses have devised 5 basic strategies to solve that problem:
1) Have your blocker be better than him, and kick his butt out of the hole (AKA be Alabama)
2) Don't run it (AKA be Mike Leach)
3) Double team him with blockers (AKA Zone Running)
4) Change where you're going to run it if he gets in the way (AKA Option running)
5) Give your blocker a running start (AKA Gap Running)

We're going to start at the end with Gap Running, because, interestingly enough, it was basically the first solution anybody ever came up with, and they came up with it a LONG time ago. 1908, specifically. The basic idea was "we can't guarantee that our guy is just going to be able to beat their guy in a fair matchup, so we're going to give our guy the advantage of a running start because (As you guys know) F=M*A.

So, as I mentioned in 1908, at a place in Carlisle PA at the Carlisle Indian Industrial School, a guy named Pop Warner came up with an offense called the Single Wing, and the bread and butter of his offense was a play called "Power". (Clever, I know).

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
It looked like this (the positions had different names then, but I'm going to use the modern equivalents, to make it easier to understand, so you Single Wing purists out there give me a break). In this setup, the offense wants to run outside the right TE, but unfortunately for them, a guy named "E" is right there. (Circled)
1631823730584.png

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
He was set up EXACTLY where the offense wanted to go, so what did they do about it? They said, well, lets give EVERYBODY ELSE on the offense an angle advantage (meaning they don't have to win for the play to be successful, they just have to achieve a stalemate), and set it up so we only need ONE guy to win, and to help him, we'll give him A) a running start and B) some backup. So they said "FB, you line up behind the line, and you go hit the living hell out of E. If you can't beat him, don't worry, we've got G running behind you with a head of steam, and if he'll clean up if you miss. If you don't miss, he'll go hit somebody else. Everybody else? Get in the way of somebody". They direct snapped it to HB (or had QB hand it to HB) Et Viola, we have "Power"
1631823758382.png

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Truth be told, the play hasn't changed much in the hundred and 13 years since. You have "kicker" (the first guy through), and you have a "wrapper", second guy through. Everybody blocks down, sealing the hole, the Kicker kicks out the first guy in the way, the wrapper cleans up anything left.

(interestingly enough, if you switch the guys doing the kicking and the wrapping, the play is called "Counter", which I'm sure you've heard as well)

Here's Wing T Power (40s-70s)
1631823800003.png

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Why, perchance, do you think the basics of the play have not changed in a century? It's the same reason sharks and alligators look the same as they did umpteen million years ago: When you stumble onto something that works REALLY REALLY well, you stick with it, and Power never stopped working.

Which brings us to Georgia Tech, and "modern spread offense" and "NFL Schemes". The thing is, that's not BS, it's just that Football coaches aren't stupid, and if something works, they won't SAY it's a 1908 scheme, but they'll sure as heckfire run it.

This is from GT's first possession against NIU.

Right here, you guys block down with the TE and T, and kick with the pulling G and Wrap with the pulling C. If you WANTED to say that this is closer to buck sweep, it wouldn't make my head explode, but I'm gonna say it's power and you can fight me if you want.

It's not one way traffic. Almost everybody runs power. Here's the flip side (watch the replay of this play too, it's crystal clear):

Here we are again (A gap power):

Here we are vs Kennesaw State (this is actually counter, you can tell by the way the back takes one step right before he comes back left):

Long story short, if you see an offensive lineman pulling around the back of the play leading the RB through the hole (as you will, every time you watch GT or basically any other team), you're looking at something that was invented the same year as the Ford Model T (the predecessor of the Rambling Wreck, which is a 1930 Model A), and hasn't changed much since.

The formations are a little different, the snap went from direct, to under center, back to direct, back to under center, and back to direct again, the exact positioning of the backs changed (although they ended up pretty much in the same places as in the beginning), the position names changed, but it's the same stuff.

TL/DR: Sharks are still scary.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Very neat stuff! Thanks!

Looking at it from the point of view of what could go wrong, it seems to me making anything but a short gain would require the larger and slower tackle getting a body on a quicker, more agile inside linebacker. It probably doesn't take but a second for the safety to see it is a running play and be in on the play pretty quickly.

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
I love this. It's along the lines of how Malzhan talks about how much of his run game is based out of the old Tubby Raymond Wing T, just out of the gun with a lot of window dressing.

It's fun to see the old Green Bay sweep that Lombardi used to run.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Note: I've got a couple of these in my head for different things you guys do a lot, but I am coming off knee surgery so it may take me a week or so to get them out.
Get better champ. Hope it’s a quick recovery.

I know you know running.. any chance you delve into that other thing they do with the ball?

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Get better champ. Hope it’s a quick recovery.

I know you know running.. any chance you delve into that other thing they do with the ball?
I could, but tbh without all-22 film it's a little tougher to make it compelling because TV angles don't let you do a great job identifying coverages pre-snap (they're zoomed in pretty close), and the art of the passing game is largely about knowing what you're going to be looking for before the ball is snapped. I could do a piece on PA (after I do the running games that set them up). I could do a piece on packaged RPO's. I could do a piece on various Triangle Stretches, but due to the nature of TV broadcasting, I'm not sure it would be as compelling.

slugboy

Staff member
I could, but tbh without all-22 film it's a little tougher to make it compelling because TV angles don't let you do a great job identifying coverages pre-snap (they're zoomed in pretty close), and the art of the passing game is largely about knowing what you're going to be looking for before the ball is snapped. I could do a piece on PA (after I do the running games that set them up). I could do a piece on packaged RPO's. I could do a piece on various Triangle Stretches, but due to the nature of TV broadcasting, I'm not sure it would be as compelling.
No, the ACCN and Sinclair camera angles are weak. I’m so jealous of the people who can get a view where they can see who blocks whom or where the coverage is. I’d really even settle for a view with a good quadrant where you could see about most of the play developing.