What GT Basketball needs to be again...

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer

I was 9 when this happened. My father and brother were at the game. I was listening on the radio at home. I tore through the house like a crazy person when 3D did his thing. I want to get back to this era of basketball at GT.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Was at that UNC Game as well. As mentioned it was SR night for Tommy Hammonds. D3 was really juiced for that game - he was almost bouncing off the walls in pre-game warmups - I remember turning to a friend before the game started and telling him - 'Dennis is going to win this game for Tommy if he has to'. Wish I had built a better paper airplane though.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I'll also add that Dennis Scott avg 40.2 mpg in ACC Games that 1990 season as GT played 3 OT games. That is the highest mark in ACC history.
This was also aided by the fact that BC didn't play a deep bench. I remember someone saying once that if BC had 8 Matt Harprings he would've only played 6 of them.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Exactly, D3 actually made fun of this at the Alumni game, saying coach never took him out of the game.
That was part of Bobby's recruiting style - he would basically recruit one kid for a position and let him know he was the guy. More times than not it worked, but when it didn't he really had to scramble. When kids started leaving early - that style of recruiting just didn't work anymore - any misses at all and your next year was toast.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Found this, good read:

http://www.theshadowleague.com/articles/lethal-weapon-3-the-legendary-trio-who-was-must-see-tv

ETA: The 2 plays starting at about the 30-second mark will make you want to just stop watching altogether, build a time machine and go back to 1990.

KA is the reason I became a Tech fan. I'm not from Atlanta or even Georgia for that matter and didn't attend Tech. I was 10 years old when I first saw a GT game and fell in love with the way Kenny played the game. Tried to pattern my game after him and wore #12 through youth leagues, high school, AAU and college. Man, I'd love to have those days of Tech hoops back.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
KA is the reason I became a Tech fan. I'm not from Atlanta or even Georgia for that matter and didn't attend Tech. I was 10 years old when I first saw a GT game and fell in love with the way Kenny played the game. Tried to pattern my game after him and wore #12 through youth leagues, high school, AAU and college. Man, I'd love to have those days of Tech hoops back.

I'm from here but really didn't stumble upon GT bball until Lethal Weapon 3. I was about 10-11 as well and I've been a huge KA fan since then. They don't make 'em like him anymore. So smooth. Just a naturally born PG.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I found a few videos of complete games from this season. Here is the ACC Championship game against UVA and the NCAA 2nd round game against LSU. I also found the Final Four loss to UNLV. Anyone have some of the other games in full? Also found a loss at Duke, yuck I can't watch that one.

Oh, just found the Elite 8 game against Minnesota in two parts: First Half and Second.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I remember watching the sweet 16 game as a 10 year old with my uncles and older cousins. All of whom are huge Mich State fans. One was Magic Johnson's HS coach and best friends with Jud Heathcoat. These guys live and die Spartan hoops. I was in awe of how much swearing and anger there was in that room when my boy KA hit that shot. Lol. Ahh memories...