What goals would yall like to meet this season?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, people put up with a limited fielding range when you’ve got a slugging percentage near a thousand (Dillan Shrum of Nevada had a 0.968 slugging percentage this past season 😳)

Baseball is more "OR" on offense and "AND" on defense. Basketball is similar. Football doesn't make players play offense and defense, but basketball and baseball do. If you look at the Atlanta Hawks, Trae Young is an MVP on offense and a liability on defense, and the team is headed for a lottery pick unless things change this season.

When you're at the plate, it's time for INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT, but when you're in the field you're part of a TEAM.

Oh, I went all Capone on the thread...

Even then, like it was mentioned earlier, is only kind of true. Even an absolute slugger at the plate only bats one out of nine times.

I'd rather have 9 guys hitting .300 than 8 guys hitting .200 and one guy that gets on base 10 times out of 10. (these numbers were pulled out of my ***, but you get the point)

Y'all aren't going to make this a "discussion" of where some point guard grew up are you? (Kidding) For some reason that type of argument hasn't gotten here in the genteel baseball posts. (I'll finish my Zima now, thank you.)

Of course you are both right, it's a matter of degree. Maybe take 1 as the ultimate OR, like golf. And 10 as the ultimate AND, like crew.

So hitting is close to a 2, mostly just get on but situational in that you need to be able to play small ball and bunt for the team. ;) Pitching is probably a 2 or 3 since the pitcher needs a good catcher to frame the pitches and block his wild ones and his defense to cleanly field ground balls. Fielding is lower if other players are involved.....

I'd argue that like any team, it starts with individual performance and assisting other players, so baseball is more an OR sport than AND sport. Like maybe a 3 or 4 ......

BTW, that Capone video is disturbing.

31 days to opening pitch.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Definitely, similar to basketball with the impact. 3 of my favs if I remember correctly: Xzavion Curry became our Friday night ace as a FR, I think I remember Mark Pope was a Friday night ace as a FR, and Deck McGuire owned the cesspool in all 3 starts in his FR year.
Curry did start our first ACC series on Friday as a freshman. I was there. At Miami. Didn't go well.

I believe Pope was a mid-week starter that dominated Georgia his freshman year. Then became a Friday night guy.

Don't recall with Deck, but I suspect he wasn't the Friday night guy his first year. Very few Tech pitchers are the Friday night ACE as freshmen. From my experience, they usually grow into the role, usually as midweek starters, but sometimes as Saturday or, more likely, Sunday guys.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
The #1 goal I would like to meet this year is NO SIGNIFICANT INJURIES! I believe Cort was ineffective last year due to an injury rehab that didn't progress the way they hoped. Finley was lost for the season for TJ, I believe. Had logged one of the fastest pitches observed by D1Baseball to that point in the season when we lost him. I also believe there were other pitchers that missed starts due to "fatigue/injury", like Crawford, maybe Archer, others? Parada was out for a while as well, if I recall. Let's stay healthy this year and take care of business.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The #1 goal I would like to meet this year is NO SIGNIFICANT INJURIES! I believe Cort was ineffective last year due to an injury rehab that didn't progress the way they hoped. Finley was lost for the season for TJ, I believe. Had logged one of the fastest pitches observed by D1Baseball to that point in the season when we lost him. I also believe there were other pitchers that missed starts due to "fatigue/injury", like Crawford, maybe Archer, others? Parada was out for a while as well, if I recall. Let's stay healthy this year and take care of business.
You NAILED it, Cincy!

Arkansas takes a blow in the injury department. Their projected Friday starter done before they start. These kinds of things really get to me. Hoping the best for this young man.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't follow baseball closely but isn't this the same complaint at the start of each year? For those of you with more knowledge on the topic, is there any reason to believe it will be different this spring...returning experience, players coming back from injury, transfer portal, incoming freshmen?
CDB has "his guys" in place now. Hopefully we will start to see improvement in the performance and #s with our pitching staff.

I felt like when Ramsey came in I saw a real difference in how we approached each at bat and in general, how we played the game. Hope we see that change take hold with the pitching staff this year. Although I have no inside information, just based on what I see from the "outside looking in" and based on CDB passed history, I feel confident we will see improvement.

SJ

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
CDB has "his guys" in place now. Hopefully we will start to see improvement in the performance and #s with our pitching staff.

I felt like when Ramsey came in I saw a real difference in how we approached each at bat and in general, how we played the game. Hope we see that change take hold with the pitching staff this year. Although I have no inside information, just based on what I see from the "outside looking in" and based on CDB passed history, I feel confident we will see improvement.

SJ
It should go like this, right...?

A = Previous coach + Previous coach's guys
B = New coach + Previous coach's guys
C= New coach + New coach's guys

A < B < C

Is that the progression so far? I don't know.

Also I hear/see this "his guys" thing more lately across sports... has that always been a thing? Coaches get a few "free" years of low to zero expectations of much improvement. Is that the correct paradigm?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It should go like this, right...?

A = Previous coach + Previous coach's guys
B = New coach + Previous coach's guys
C= New coach + New coach's guys

A < B < C

Is that the progression so far? I don't know.

Also I hear/see this "his guys" thing more lately across sports... has that always been a thing? Coaches get a few "free" years of low to zero expectations of much improvement. Is that the correct paradigm?

Football its been A>>B=C.
Basketball its been A<B<C.
Baseball its been too long to judge the HC, but Ramsey is better and DBo has to improve this year since we had the second to worst ERA in the ACC last year. He will.