What does this mean for college athletics?

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer

Mods, please feel free to move this to whatever forum is appropriate.

Can someone help me get my head around

1). Why a group of college athletes would want to vote to unionize?

2). What would it mean to college athletics if this goes forward?

My gut reaction to #1 is that this is a bunch of Ivy League kids who have no idea how good they have it and are either blinded by their “privilege” or trying to make some sort of political statement against the establishment.

My gut reaction to #2 is that with NIL already “out of control” (IMHO), the athletes in the major sports at larger universities really wouldn’t want to have anything to do with unions, however, the non-revenue sports and smaller schools (which I considered the last bastion for where you could still have scholar/athletes) could be completely destroyed by this if it goes to its full fruition.

That is just my very simplistic view.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I doubt it is a coincidence that this happens shortly after Virginia and Tennessee won their hearing against the NCAA.

So if college players unionize, and the NCAA is unable to enforce their own NIL rules it could lead to high major players fighting for equal compensation for players at the low major level where revenue is not generated on the same level. You can see where this is going.

Your view is not a simplistic one, its the basic reason why certain people dislike Yes men like Jeff Goodman and Rob Dauster who just continually support the erosion of the fabric of college basketball in the interest of maintaining their access to actual talent (players) while exploiting young writers to crank out content for them for little to no compensation.

slugboy

Staff member

Mods, please feel free to move this to whatever forum is appropriate.

Can someone help me get my head around

2). What would it mean to college athletics if this goes forward?

My gut reaction to #1 is that this is a bunch of Ivy League kids who have no idea how good they have it and are either blinded by their “privilege” or trying to make some sort of political statement against the establishment.

My gut reaction to #2 is that with NIL already “out of control” (IMHO), the athletes in the major sports at larger universities really wouldn’t want to have anything to do with unions, however, the non-revenue sports and smaller schools (which I considered the last bastion for where you could still have scholar/athletes) could be completely destroyed by this if it goes to its full fruition.

That is just my very simplistic view.

Long hours. No pay. No health care benefits. Risk of injury. Sometimes abusive coaches.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

Long hours. No pay. No health care benefits. Risk of injury. Sometimes abusive coaches.
The same reasons minor league baseball players fought to unionize. It gives the players power to negotiate, and not just be at the mercy of whoever makes the rules. We (as collective people) will always be stronger together than as individuals. I don’t know what the endgame is for college athletes unionizing will be, but at the very least I bet it will provide some order for the absolute cluster **** that we’re seeing now.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

No healthcare benefits? No pay?

These kids/men receive tremendous medical care. They receive stipends according to their scholarships in most cases. They receive, food, tuiton, room and board and one of the best educations in the world. Im not buying.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow

I hope it’s okay to put this here. Just smh on where college football is today. I’ve always wanted players to get spending money but I never intended for players to act like some of the Alabama players and I’m quite sure it’s just not Alabama players. I hope it fits here lol

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

I hope it’s okay to put this here. Just smh on where college football is today. I’ve always wanted players to get spending money but I never intended for players to act like some of the Alabama players and I’m quite sure it’s just not Alabama players. I hope it fits here lol

It tipped the scales for Jay Wright, K, Roy, Boeheim, Brey and others to be sure

slugboy

Staff member
No healthcare benefits? No pay?

These kids/men receive tremendous medical care. They receive stipends according to their scholarships in most cases. They receive, food, tuiton, room and board and one of the best educations in the world. Im not buying.
I think there’s a world of difference between the amenities at Texas or USC compared to East Carolina or Idaho State. Texas players aren’t unionizing.

I’d say Texas athletes have spectacular health care—at least the stars do. At Jacksonville State, I’d think they don’t.

Dartmouth is an Ivy, and should have well heeled alumni. I still think athletes there are going to be less pampered than a kid at a major, and nowhere close to a factory. I also think that, if I had gotten a full scholarship and stipend at Dartmouth that I’d still have been one of the less flush kids on campus.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
See if the stars are receiving tremendous healthcare compared to the 13th guy on the roster, that would be a reason to unionize because thats bullspit.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
See if the stars are receiving tremendous healthcare compared to the 13th guy on the roster, that would be a reason to unionize because thats bullspit.
If student-athletes are deemed independent contractors, it doesn't matter. Universities don't have to negotiate. They can just replace them at the end of the year.

slugboy

Staff member
I don’t know for sure, but my guess is that for an ACL injury, your all-conference guy gets flown to Dr James Andrews, and your bench player gets the local surgeon.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought I read that the players can legally get help from unions when trying to form in private schools, but not in public schools.