What do we see first?

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
CPJ has been clear about getting back to the option. Since we are still in the offseason, and there is nothing better to do in the offseason than to speculate. What nuance of the offense do you think we will see first this season?

Diamond, the pistol, hurry up?

What say you?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Diamond definitely out.
Maybe a little hurry up in 2 minute situations.
I think we'll see some of the sets Brian ran in UC Sandibisco (sp)

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A well executed 3TO and counter option like it is the only thing the team practices.

I want to see a run heavy hurry up in the right situations: Last 4 minutes of the 1st half or behind in the last half of the 3rd or whole 4th quarter.

Midline and Speed Option with Byerly/Laskey all year long.

Speed Option and Fake Rocket Toss Boot Leg Pass to BB with run option with JT all year long.

I want to see the AB be able to choose "inside" or "outside" without applying brakes on the rocket toss like Godhigh. (I have seen Synjyn and Zenon accomplish this at the end of 2013)

The QBs to throw in 3 second or less time frame (even if it is away).

An effective answer for Clemson's random CB blitzes. Key word is "random".

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I would like to see some kind of power off tackle play that begins with the QB faking the give to the BB (who ends up blocking) and who then hands it to the A-back out of the motion. In other words, I want to see some smash mouth against those teams that try exotic defensive maneuvers thinking Tech is just going to try to finesse the unblocked lineman.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Honestly I think he would be retarded to not run the diamond or some shotgun option..thats what JT was best at..I never understand why coaches don't implement some of what the players did best in high school to maximize their potential..especially in JTs case. It is very similar to what we do and he works best in space while giving him more time to react.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
Honestly I think he would be retarded to not run the diamond or some shotgun option..thats what JT was best at..I never understand why coaches don't implement some of what the players did best in high school to maximize their potential..especially in JTs case. It is very similar to what we do and he works best in space while giving him more time to react.
Unfortunately, JT doesn't reside in a vacuum. The rest of the team didn't do this well last year, outside of the Duke game. Has to be something the whole team can excel at. That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing a little of everything once the base offense is established.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
What nuance of the offense do you think we will see first this season?

Trey Klock lined up as TE

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Off topic for second
Defense - per half = 2 7 man blitz, 5 6 man blitz, all rest 5 man blitz.
2 sacks per half, 4 forced fumbles per game, one defense score every two games, 3 3 and outs in second half.
Back to topic
Break the TO
Naked bootleg full run by qb next play naked bootleg left - stop pass deep to smelter , fake reverse the pass even if covered, just call something exciting.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, JT doesn't reside in a vacuum. The rest of the team didn't do this well last year, outside of the Duke game. Has to be something the whole team can excel at. That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing a little of everything once the base offense is established.

I guess you mean the O-Line. They haven't played well for a couple of years now. So that isn't going to change anything.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That would be nice. Especially since other teams seem to be taking cues from VT on how to line up against us.
Well we saw Roof mimicking VT in the Spring game and Byerly handled it well. It wasn't VT out there so who knows. Having the right qb makes all the difference in the world.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I've been told it was Vad's fault. Since he's gone we should be a whole heck of a lot better at everything. Sorry...just busting chops.

CPJ's very first play at GT was a deep pass down the seams to Embry Peebles (or was it Roddy?). Then we went on a streak of 2 straight years where we scored long TDs within the first few plays off the option. Dwyer scored on the first play off a speed option against Jacksonville State, Nesbitt off a 3O keeper in 2010 on the 3rd play.

CPJ has hinted that he's going to add wrinkles only "flex option fans will recognize", and also said (along with a few of our players) that we'll see some HUNH. We'll see.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I hear several people saying no more diamond. Although I agree for the most part and feel we will see Flexbone 90% of the time, I wouldn't rule out any formation/set. CPJ is a mastermind of offensive scheme. I'm sure the diamond formation and pistol formations aren't the only cards he has up his sleeve if he chose to play one...

I recall one game we were 3rd n goal and CPJ threw in an altered version of the Power I. Just saying. I wouldn't put limits on what that man might throw at a defense.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Well we saw Roof mimicking VT in the Spring game and Byerly handled it well. It wasn't VT out there so who knows. Having the right qb makes all the difference in the world.

What VT did against us last season wasn't a surprised. CPJ and our players said after the game they practiced for exactly what VT did last year. Players just didn't execute. We just got out-coached and out-executed last season by VT. CPJ has been running this offense for 25+ years. VT isn't the first team to shoot gaps and bring pressure before the snap.

Hopefully this year we just execute better, and our coaches adjust better.