What can we learn from Army vs Navy?

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
I ran the CPJ offense for three years as the OC for my son's youth league team. I designed a play that I wish Tech would run. It would go AB in motion for what would be a fake rocket toss. The B would take one step toward the play side and then cut behind the QB. The QB would give the ball to the BB and would then hit the outside gap. Always went for a long gain.

There is a play or two very much like this in the playbook. It isn't called much. I doubt it's been called more than once or twice in the past two years.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
When watching this game, I couldn't help but think of the often discussed topic on the boards of what is the impact of lots of preparation time by our opponents? No defense could be as thoroughly familiar with the TO as these two teams. They have whole seasons of preparation time.

It seems to me no matter how well you know what might happen on a play, it often comes down to individual matchups. Can the quick, shifty quarterback slip by the sure tackling safety or linebacker, or does the sure tackler make the tackle? Does the blocker get in front of his man, or does the defender get past him in time to make the play? Does the hard running B back bull his way for yards after contact, or does the tackler take him down cleanly? And so on.
Don't think we'll learn much from the Navy side. They ran from the shotgun all day and according to the Navy beat writer in Annapolis ran almost exclusively the zone read. Seems odd but maybe with all the injuries it is how they simplified the offense. Coach "N" -- sorry -- went no further than to note the short turnaround from the conference championship game. Army looked like a slower GT.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
After reading that pressor I think Cook will probably institute a gun option base with some under center, and they going tempo.

Should be a fun offense to watch if that's the direction.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Those that have never played the game should remember it all goes back to fundamentals. Blocking, tackling, execution, scheme, effort, etc.

I like the creativity, but my guess is that Clemson's and Virginia Tech's backside OLB and DE are a bit more disciplined and would probably make the tackle. Unless there was more to it than what you're describing? Pull the playside guard and have him kick the backside DE, backside tackle climbs to the LB?

Or maybe the other kids were biting so hard on the rocket action that the backside linebacker ran himself out of the play?
Yes, the backside was undisciplined. But you can also use the backside tackle to block the back pursuit. Understand the B back does not go way outside. He hits the hole where the tackle was.