His conclusions are much different than what I’ve seen posted around here, but it lines up with what the PFF people are posting
- The DL is playing OK. Not amazing, but middle of the conference kind of play.
- The front 6 is the strength of our defense.
- Walton and some other DBs are playing well. Our safeties played pretty well. We are not getting disruption out of the secondary though.
- He critiqued the play calling, but in a fact-based way. We don’t run the plays that we block well. We should fix that.
- Sims makes some head scratching plays. He is a fantastic QB when he’s not pressured, but that’s unusual
- Our RBs are good.
- He puts a lot on Patenaude’s plate, but I think it’s a combination of Key and Patenaude that need to sit down and find our strong suit and work to it, and fix the problems in the blocking that doesn’t work
- Thacker and Collins need to find ways to bring pressure on D and fix coverage issues in the secondary
- Our issues are fixable, or at least we can scheme around the bad problems
I wonder how much of this is due to the OL injuries? I know that we are slowly expanding our playbook as the offense matures, but maybe the playbook is more limited than we would like to believe? Or it could be that the younger OL are killing it in practice and flailing under the pressure of a game. It might be that right now we just aren't capable of consistently blocking the plays we are most comfortable running.