What can GT expect in OFEI and DFEI rankings with current recruiting numbers?

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I was thinking more along the lines of if we play Moneyball in recruiting (and thus overachieve on the field), what level of performance is reasonably achievable from an SP+ standpoint? The fact that only 2 teams that had middle-to-slightly-above-average recruiting managed to break through 20 SP+ in both 2016 and 2019 data would seem to show that the Moneyball approach is unlikely to consistently achieve elite results without elite recruiting. Not saying we shouldn't take the Moneyball approach, since we are unlikely to have elite recruiting, only that it tends to take you only so far. I made a similar argument (in principle) in an earlier discussion about UGA's transition from Richt to Smart. Just an observation, not necessarily a recommendation for us.
We're #1 in Industrial Engineering, #5 in Computer Engineering: #6 in AI, #4 in Data Analytics. We're #3 in Business Analytics, #4 in Quantitative Analysis.

If there's any D1 school in the universe, we should be the D1 school that leverages all of the above to deliver elite results without elite recruiting.

You add that to our prowess in Biomed, Mechanical Engineering, etc and there's no reaosn we're not cutting edge at damn near everything when it comes to sports. With our Business school, there's no reason our management of the AA is atrocious & our game day operations suck balls.

We have so many more resources than anyone else & all we can strive to do is whatever anyone else is doing. They should be trying to figure out how we're doing it not the other way around.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
We're #1 in Industrial Engineering, #5 in Computer Engineering: #6 in AI, #4 in Data Analytics. We're #3 in Business Analytics, #4 in Quantitative Analysis.

If there's any D1 school in the universe, we should be the D1 school that leverages all of the above to deliver elite results without elite recruiting.

You add that to our prowess in Biomed, Mechanical Engineering, etc and there's no reaosn we're not cutting edge at damn near everything when it comes to sports. With our Business school, there's no reason our management of the AA is atrocious & our game day operations suck balls.

We have so many more resources than anyone else & all we can strive to do is whatever anyone else is doing. They should be trying to figure out how we're doing it not the other way around.
I had a similar thought today. We (the AA and the Hill) should absolutely be leveraging all our elite academic capabilities to help us excel in sports.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I had a similar thought today. We (the AA and the Hill) should absolutely be leveraging all our elite academic capabilities to help us excel in sports.
Unfortunately too many of the academics turn their nose up at sports as worthy of brain-power. I work with one very well respected Professor who enjoys football, but for the most part they aren't 'into it.' I think Cabrera's open endorsement of our sports program will help. And the raising stakes in CFB should make it worthy of study as a business.

Maybe we should use some of the academic endowment to create a multi-disciplinary program of "Sports Data, Science & Business" with an endowed Chair and the funding to do some serious research into the business of sports at the college level? That would be one way for the Academic side to help the sports side and legitimately get money across the firewall. It might also help with recruiting if we created a "Data Analytics - Sports" program...

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I've got an idea...and I'm just spit-balling here...but what if we were to hire a coach who installs an offense that most other teams don't see regularly and haven't adequately prepared for? Something our coaches and players know better than our opponents do?

Could that possibly work?
Totally agree. However, imagine a unique offense like this that is also attractive to recruits and fans. Hmmm.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I was thinking more along the lines of if we play Moneyball in recruiting (and thus overachieve on the field), what level of performance is reasonably achievable from an SP+ standpoint?

Just so I understand the terminology, what are we calling “Moneyball” here for recruiting?

I suppose my instinct is that someone like Darren Waller was a “moneyball” recruit, insofar as he was a mid-3 star guy who was being recruited as a safety by other schools. Our coaches saw potential as a wideout, got a commitment without having to beat out a lot of bigger programs, and it’s fair to say he over performed relative to his recruiting ranking

Jalen Camp, a 2 star, was probably a diamond in the rough, rather than a Moneyball type?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Just so I understand the terminology, what are we calling “Moneyball” here for recruiting?

I suppose my instinct is that someone like Darren Waller was a “moneyball” recruit, insofar as he was a mid-3 star guy who was being recruited as a safety by other schools. Our coaches saw potential as a wideout, got a commitment without having to beat out a lot of bigger programs, and it’s fair to say he over performed relative to his recruiting ranking

Not really sure Waller really over performed relative to his ranking while here. He had 51 catches for 971 yards in three years here topping out at 442 yards his last year here.

ugacdawg

Georgia Tech Fan
I think we have a lot more in common with Cincinnati. This year Cincinnati is #41 in overall FEI, and they were #8 in 2021 when they were in the CFP.
There is zero question that the Bearcats have had better coaching recently than Tech, but the real advantage to making the playoff was schedule. If UC played Tech’s schedule there is no way that team would have made the playoff. I still contend they got a fast pass because of all the media moaning about a poor G5 never making it in.

I've got an idea...and I'm just spit-balling here...but what if we were to hire a coach who installs an offense that most other teams don't see regularly and haven't adequately prepared for? Something our coaches and players know better than our opponents do?

You just described Tennessee this year. A coach like Chadwell might make GT dangerous again… and make teams like UGA have to dedicate summer and Fall time to like the Vols did and Tech used to. I think you should get Bill OBrien myself…

slugboy

Staff member
There is zero question that the Bearcats have had better coaching recently than Tech, but the real advantage to making the playoff was schedule. If UC played Tech’s schedule there is no way that team would have made the playoff. I still contend they got a fast pass because of all the media moaning about a poor G5 never making it in.

You just described Tennessee this year. A coach like Chadwell might make GT dangerous again… and make teams like UGA have to dedicate summer and Fall time to like the Vols did and Tech used to. I think you should get Bill OBrien myself…
In 2021, you had Bama, UGA, Cincinnati, and Michigan. It was one of those years with 4 teams, but it could have just been two teams. I agree that Cincinnati was a sweetheart team because they were G5, but Baylor and Ohio State and Notre Dame didn’t deserve to be in more that Cincinnati. Alabama would have crushed whoever they faced 3-25 (or 3-131). I’m not sure that Michigan deserved it that much more than Cincinnati, or that changing the semifinals around would have changed much unless Bama and UGA played in the first round.

I just think it’s a faster path to get Tech watchable again by focusing on coaching than on recruiting. We’re not outbidding Texas or Texas A&M for 5* athletes. This isn’t new either, it’s just MORE than it was 25 years ago.

If you look at the chart like a map, I just think it’s easier for a school like Tech to sweep out to the right and play good football first and build recruiting off of playing well than to take the same path that Texas or Texas A&M is of leading with recruiting. Unless we get a lot of real estate magnates and oil barons in our next graduating classes, that’s not our path.

I don’t think we have to play a scheme like Leach does, but even Kentucky figured out how to make the most of where they are (so much so that they’re complaining they don’t win enough now). I don’t think Kentucky is playing the same game that UGA is—they aren’t pulling in top 5 classes every year—but they’re a really good team now.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
In 2021, you had Bama, UGA, Cincinnati, and Michigan. It was one of those years with 4 teams, but it could have just been two teams.

really, hasn't that been the case since this all started??....it seems like the first two games are always scrimmages. The gap between the #1 and the #10 team used to be much smaller. Now a #6 or 8 team is much closer to GT and their Coastal brethren than they are to the top 2 teams. That is why going to 12 teams is absurd.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder if you could do a bunch just on the prep side with the right technology. Someone at Tech should build a really robust VR training environment and some 3d scanning of live games at BDS to build VR drills of game situations against top opposing players. “Can you find the right angle to chase someone this fast down” from all over the field with the ability to do infinite reps of practice, and similar. Or re-run plays at 50% speed, 75%, 100% over and over and over again.

Like film review but interactive.