• Time management during games

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Turnovers

Votes: 12 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I’m not following you; what did you mean by reading incomprehension?
😊
I think one of the things about Tech grads (and maybe this extends to sidewalk fans by association) is that we are super interested in precision. Regardless of the accuracy of a statement, if there's just a slight tweak needed to make it better align with what we think or feel, we are quick to point out that slight variation instead of just saying, "yeah, close enough." I'm as guilty as most (but not all).

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Just reading through the responses to this thread it is apparent and obvious to me that most of our fanbase has a better realization of our problems and possible solutions than our coaching staff do, (or if they do, they are too stubborn to address them).

All right @Jerry the Jacket....I am taking the bait here and know I shouldn't. But this is so superbly crafted that I have to ask, just to satisfy my own curiosity. Do you honestly believe what you typed above? If not, well done sir. If so, I have no response and will simply commend you for a well written post.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Ever since I joined this board , maybe 10 years ago, I ( and others ) have whined about OL depth. What is the fix for this ? Can't we get a true 2 deep with quality on our OL ? Are we recruiting too many "projects " ? We used to blame Sewak , now Key is getting some heat. Are we just expecting too much ? When Cooper, Johnson , Cochran and Kirby leave after this year will things improve or drop off ? Any thoughts ?
Its pretty concerning that we will lose most of the contributing upperclassmen off of an already bad OL. Im not sure how we improve unless we hit the portal hard again this offseason and the guys we get pan out a little better.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Just reading through the responses to this thread it is apparent and obvious to me that most of our fanbase has a better realization of our problems and possible solutions than our coaching staff do, (or if they do, they are too stubborn to address them).

For me, the elephant in the room is our poor offensive line performance. I know we have limitations in talent and now more with injuries but you have to acknowledge that and plan around it. Many of the suggested formation changes and revised play calls seem to me obvious things our coaches should have already been doing. This is not a short-term problem that will fixed. It will take years of recruiting and development to resolve this problem. It is apparent that those in the pipeline are not in a position to provide any immediate relief and that concerns me greatly. I would have expected this position to be in a much stronger position based on the perceived quality of recruiting acumen and the development skills of the current coaching staff.

One of our true strengths is the running game. We are not maximizing the potential and talent we have there. This one is simple. Feature Sims as a runner and play off of that We are. You have to get Gibbs in space. He can not create his own holes This is not true and is not capable of running between the tackles this is not true, so let's forget that. You could put him in the slot or just use him on screens and wheel routes, but for God's sake, no more inside hand-offs he's actually been very successful in inside runs. He's also been stuffed a little lately, but that's because the defenses have been run blitzing. Do what it takes to stop the run blitz and all of a sudden Gibbs starts making those guys miss up the middle again. So would JP and Dontae. Smith needs more playing time. Smith has been getting more playing time. He's also been less productive, just like the rest of the backs. It's more how the defenses are playing us that our RB's. I think he has demonstrated to this point, he has the best ability to make something out of a play even with the limitations of our offensive line. I disagree with this. Each has their own skillset and they're different from each other. Dontae is a slippery runner and can make players miss in space, just like Gibbs. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the acceleration or top speed Gibbs has. He's a fantastic back in his own right. Unfortunately for Mason, I think he has been relegated to the position of being a protector in our passing game and a red zone short-yardage option. That is still a problem, even with his talent due to our lack on a dependable offensive lineman that we can absolutely rely on to make a block when we absolutely have to have it. I think Griffin might be as effective as Smith but it looks like we may never find out. It just seems like a huge waste of talent not to utilize his ability in some manner.We're not in practices, nor do we know the injury status of all the players.
The other issue is the play calling. Really? Based on what? Are you sure it's not execution that's the problem? Just asking because I don't think I can tell the different between poor playcalling and poor execution of good playcalling. Both are going to result in ineffective plays Something needs to change here. I agree. But I think it's more about execution than play calling. When the players execute we seem to be pretty successful. Coach P certainly has the experience and qualifications to be in his position. I'm not sure what he is thinking sometimes. That's why you're a fan and he's an OC at a P5 school. He knows much more than we do. He's also with the players every day, so he knows what they can do. I know he probably runs some plays he knows have a low percentage of success to set up other plays and improve their chances of succeeding but it just has gotten to the point where his calls are preventing successes as opposed to enhancing our chance of success. If I were Coach Collins I would consider changing the play-calling responsibilities to someone else on the staff. 🤦‍♂️A fresh set of eyes if you will. This could even be done by someone on the staff that is in the current position of an offensive analyst. We just can not continue to call plays that prevent our team from realizing the outcomes we need to be successful. The fan is always the smartest guy in the room.

On the Defensive side, my main issue continues to be our inability to generate pressure on the opponents' quarterback and our overall inability to attack as opposed to playing bend don't break, keep everything in front of us defense. I will continue my thoughts on our defense in another post.

Go Jackets!
There's so much in here that is conjecture from a fan. I get where you're coming from because as a fan, i feel the same way at times. But, I disagree with much of what you state as fact. See above.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Its pretty concerning that we will lose most of the contributing upperclassmen off of an already bad OL. Im not sure how we improve unless we hit the portal hard again this offseason and the guys we get pan out a little better.
It’s definitely concerning, but some of the young backups have gotten snaps. And I think we’ve definitely improved in pass blocking. The problem is that our run blocking has declined more than our pass blocking has improved.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think one of the things about Tech grads (and maybe this extends to sidewalk fans by association) is that we are super interested in precision. Regardless of the accuracy of a statement, if there's just a slight tweak needed to make it better align with what we think or feel, we are quick to point out that slight variation instead of just saying, "yeah, close enough." I'm as guilty as most (but not all).
Of course I was joking but your point seems on target. Sometimes these conversations miss the forest for the trees. An analogy might be slightly off, or there is one factual error which does not negate the larger point, and that gets hammered.

Yeah I’m probably guilty too.

But it’s not just precision that is the culprit, people are jealous to make sure thing get spun a certain way or that their pet narrative is not undermined.

God help me but I’d rather hang with Tech fans that any other fan base.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps this will help w ol in near future and going forward.

Here is a point about gt advantages in the portal. I heard this from Ryan Johnson s dad. He said there are guys like Ryan Guys w 2 years eligibility and a degree or near degree who can get into gt. Ryan wanted to play for Coach Key. He could get in gt in summer to study what he wanted as well as play. He has a very light class load. Maybe we can get some more transfer guys.

Also the idea getting a second degree or masters at a good school like gt is int DT intriguing- being considered bt A smith .
Getting old and stzying old in ol will take time but it seems do able.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
One glimmer of hope is that we haven't yet seen the OL that were recruited to play under Key besides Williams (I think Franklin played a little against Duke). Outside of those 2, we haven't seen what the pipeline of players with 1-2 development years look like. Hopefully there will be gains in cohesion from that.

slugboy

Staff member
Has Lay ever been put on scholarship? I thought be performed well at center during 2019. Thank goodness he walked on at GT.
I don’t think he is. Jack Coco got one this year. I can’t find the article from the year before.

COVID and the “COVID year” are a big part of it, but our scholarships skew towards underclassmen, and our OL is young. We have some upperclassmen, and our upperclassmen are a big share of our starters, but we have a ton of freshmen OL.

I could be completely wrong on this. I just can’t find anything on the last couple of walk on schollys

slugboy

Staff member
So, about our offensive line, here are our linemen, sorted by year:

NumberNamePositionHeightWeightYearHometownPrevious School
71Ryan SpiersOL6-3
288​
FreshmanBiloxi, Miss.Biloxi HS
60Paula VaipuluOL6-3
303​
FreshmanChannelview, TexasChannelview HS
62Cade KootsouradisOL6-4
316​
FreshmanCrestview, Fla.Crestview HS
54Jordan WilliamsOL6-6
333​
FreshmanGainesville, Ga.Gainesville HS
63Will MilamOL6-4
329​
FreshmanPowder Springs, Ga.Hiram HS
76Wing GreenOL6-7
309​
FreshmanLeesburg, Ga.Lee County HS
66Anthony MinellaOL6-2
284​
FreshmanMilton, Ga.Milton HS
67Joe FusileOL6-6
320​
FreshmanRichmond Hill, Ga.Richmond Hill HS
72Weston FranklinOL6-4
316​
FreshmanJesup, Ga.Wayne County HS
75Jakiah LeftwichOL6-6
310​
FreshmanAtlanta, Ga.Westlake HS
64Nick PendleyOL6-4
310​
RS FreshmanCanton, Ga.Mississippi State
50Jamal CampOL6-2
289​
RS FreshmanCumming, Ga.South Forsyth HS
58Will ScissumOL6-2
297​
RS FreshmanMarietta, Ga.The Walker School
69Matthew MorganOL6-4
328​
RS SophomoreWoodstock, Ga.Etowah HS
61Michael MayeOL6-3
317​
RS SophomoreHoover, Ala.Hoover HS
65Austin SmithOL6-3
308​
RS SophomoreMcDonough, Ga.Ola HS
79William Lay IIIOL6-2
313​
RS JuniorBowersville, Ga.Hart County HS
57Mikey MinihanOL6-3
300​
RS JuniorHonolulu, Hawai'iSaint Louis School
73Kenneth KirbyOL6-5
305​
RS SeniorNewport News, Va.Norfolk State
55Kenny CooperOL6-3
325​
RS SeniorCalhoun, Ga.Sonoraville HS
70Ryan JohnsonOL6-6
307​
RS SeniorBrentwood, Tenn.Tennessee
77Devin CochranOL6-7
314​
RS SeniorNorcross, Ga.Vanderbilt

Here are the yearly totals:

By year
Freshman
10​
RS-Fresh
3​
RS-Soph
3​
RS-Junior
2​
RS-Senior
4​
Underclassmen
16​
Upperclassmen
6​

Our starters, and the players who are getting nearly all of the playing time, are part of our six upperclassmen (Cooper, Johnson, Cooper {seniors}, Minihan, and Lay {juniors). Williams has played 65% of snaps, and is a freshman.
You also have some snaps from Nick Pendley (27%) and Paula Vaipulu (7.5%).

So, we have "depth" in Freshmen and Sophomores, but in reality we rely almost exclusively on a handful of upperclassmen and one "2nd year" freshman. I'd looked at the line during summer camp and thought we'd have a lot of depth this year, but it looks more like we'll have an amazing OL in two years, and we'll have to grit things out this season and next, Or the Freshmen are going to have to learn and develop REALLY FAST.

See snap numbers at https://gtswarm.com/threads/jordan-williams.24045/post-831916.

Jmonty71

Banned
Our fanbase certainly thinks they know better. I'd put my money on the coaches knowing more than a bunch of keyboard warriors. There are some on here that have the knowledge, but I don't think they're in the practices, so even they don't know.
I disagree with a couple of things. First, while I will agree most fans do not understand the X's and O's. You are assuming that ALL of us don't. Putting money down on a coaches system is great.. However; I am not disagreeing whether P'naude knows his system or not. I don't think he runs the best system. Knowing a system and that system working are 2 separate things. We do a very poor job or fail at enabling our players to be in winning situations. What to I mean by that? As a manager, boss, coach, owner, you name it... You should always put people in a position to win/succeed. Putting people in situations set for failure will, more often than not, fail. I see Gibbs surrounded by 4 people almost every time his gets the ball. Do we have plays to isolate Gibbs one on one with LBs?? If so, I haven't seen much of it. Sims is young and need to be given high percentage passes.... Yet, we don't do that very much either.... I am not arguing whether P'naude knows his offense... I am arguing that his offense isn't very good. Please understand that while I wasn't the greatest CPJ fan. The man knew how to stress the defense... CDP doesn't do much to put that stress unto the other defense. Just my thoughts....

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck

71Ryan SpiersOL6-3
288​
60Paula VaipuluOL6-3
303​
62Cade KootsouradisOL6-4
316​
54Jordan WilliamsOL6-6
333​
63Will MilamOL6-4
329​
76Wing GreenOL6-7
309​
66Anthony MinellaOL6-2
284​
67Joe FusileOL6-6
320​
72Weston FranklinOL6-4
316​
75Jakiah LeftwichOL6-6
310​
64Nick PendleyOL6-4
310​
50Jamal CampOL6-2
289​
58Will ScissumOL6-2
297​
69Matthew MorganOL6-4
328​
61Michael MayeOL6-3
317​
65Austin SmithOL6-3
308​
79William Lay IIIOL6-2
313​
57Mikey MinihanOL6-3
300​
73Kenneth KirbyOL6-5
305​
55Kenny CooperOL6-3
325​
70Ryan JohnsonOL6-6
307​
77Devin CochranOL6-7
314​

By year
Freshman
10​
RS-Fresh
3​
RS-Soph
3​
RS-Junior
2​
RS-Senior
4​
Underclassmen
16​
Upperclassmen
6​

Our starters, and the players who are getting nearly all of the playing time, are part of our six upperclassmen (Cooper, Johnson, Cooper {seniors}, Minihan, and Lay {juniors). Williams has played 65% of snaps, and is a freshman.

So, we have "depth" in Freshmen and Sophomores, but in reality we rely almost exclusively on a handful of upperclassmen and one "2nd year" freshman. I'd looked at the line during summer camp and thought we'd have a lot of depth this year, but it looks more like we'll have an amazing OL in two years, and we'll have to grit things out this season and next, Or the Freshmen are going to have to learn and develop REALLY FAST.

See snap numbers at https://gtswarm.com/threads/jordan-williams.24045/post-831916.
Wow, really puts it into perspective when you see 6 total upperclassmen. And half of those are transfers

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

71Ryan SpiersOL6-3
288​
60Paula VaipuluOL6-3
303​
62Cade KootsouradisOL6-4
316​
54Jordan WilliamsOL6-6
333​
63Will MilamOL6-4
329​
76Wing GreenOL6-7
309​
66Anthony MinellaOL6-2
284​
67Joe FusileOL6-6
320​
72Weston FranklinOL6-4
316​
75Jakiah LeftwichOL6-6
310​
64Nick PendleyOL6-4
310​
50Jamal CampOL6-2
289​
58Will ScissumOL6-2
297​
69Matthew MorganOL6-4
328​
61Michael MayeOL6-3
317​
65Austin SmithOL6-3
308​
79William Lay IIIOL6-2
313​
57Mikey MinihanOL6-3
300​
73Kenneth KirbyOL6-5
305​
55Kenny CooperOL6-3
325​
70Ryan JohnsonOL6-6
307​
77Devin CochranOL6-7
314​

By year
Freshman
10​
RS-Fresh
3​
RS-Soph
3​
RS-Junior
2​
RS-Senior
4​
Underclassmen
16​
Upperclassmen
6​

Thank you for this. I honestly thought our transfers would give us more stability this year but I see no evidence of that. Would be curious what people think about next year. If we are forced to play people early that often seems problematic with an offensive lineman, either messing with their head or, heaven forbid, injuries.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Back a few years ago we got in a discussion on always play the player that gives u best chance to win. Then we played guys like gamble , gotsis almost every down. The d l huddle was near our seats - one game pelton was only talking to the starters and the reserves wondered off and were sitting off by themselves. In the next series one of the starters got injured and they had a made scramble to find the replacement.
The old system was the 7/8 effort was better than a fresh reserve. Give the really talented player max pt helps win now and in recruiting studs .

On defense now we have the collins hyperccycle where folks go in and out based on the " catapult". Collins thinks this is good for winning now because max effort is on field and is great for recruiting now.

I like to think we can blend both of these systems that gives us long term winning.

Got to let the rain maker play but got to devlope a method where we get underclassmen some pt on the field.

WE HAVE NO OL RAINMAKERS THERE FORE
The transfer portal for ol into gt is OPEN

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I disagree with a couple of things. First, while I will agree most fans do not understand the X's and O's. You are assuming that ALL of us don't. Putting money down on a coaches system is great.. However; I am not disagreeing whether P'naude knows his system or not. I don't think he runs the best system. Knowing a system and that system working are 2 separate things. We do a very poor job or fail at enabling our players to be in winning situations. What to I mean by that? As a manager, boss, coach, owner, you name it... You should always put people in a position to win/succeed. Putting people in situations set for failure will, more often than not, fail. I see Gibbs surrounded by 4 people almost every time his gets the ball. Do we have plays to isolate Gibbs one on one with LBs?? If so, I haven't seen much of it. Sims is young and need to be given high percentage passes.... Yet, we don't do that very much either.... I am not arguing whether P'naude knows his offense... I am arguing that his offense isn't very good. Please understand that while I wasn't the greatest CPJ fan. The man knew how to stress the defense... CDP doesn't do much to put that stress unto the other defense. Just my thoughts....
Is that scheme or performance? You don't know that do you? Neither do I. That was my point. I've seen the same exact play you're talking about break open for Gibbs and he gets 15 to 20 yards. So, it's not the play that's the problem, it's the execution. Now, as you said, should the coaches know that with the guys we currently have on the field that the execution won't be there and that's a losing play call? I don't know. I'm not smarter than the coaches and neither is anyone who posts to this site. Is CDP the right guy? Not my call. My call is to support these guys and cheer like hell.

I realize people want to pick it apart and dissect what's happening as they see it to identify the problems. In general, we are taught to be problem-solvers. But there are too many guys with too much money on the line for the coaches to ignore the solutions you're positing. Do you really think they don't see what you're talking about? Do you really think they're just being stubborn and saying they're going to do it their way, period? I've read too many of your posts to believe you think that way. Every one of those coaches has way more football acumen than just about anyone on this site.

By the way, I didn't say ALL of the fans don't understand X's and O's. The quote you pulled from my post said It right there.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Is that scheme or performance? You don't know that do you? Neither do I. That was my point. I've seen the same exact play you're talking about break open for Gibbs and he gets 15 to 20 yards. So, it's not the play that's the problem, it's the execution. Now, as you said, should the coaches know that with the guys we currently have on the field that the execution won't be there and that's a losing play call? I don't know. I'm not smarter than the coaches and neither is anyone who posts to this site. Is CDP the right guy? Not my call. My call is to support these guys and cheer like hell.

I realize people want to pick it apart and dissect what's happening as they see it to identify the problems. In general, we are taught to be problem-solvers. But there are too many guys with too much money on the line for the coaches to ignore the solutions you're positing. Do you really think they don't see what you're talking about? Do you really think they're just being stubborn and saying they're going to do it their way, period? I've read too many of your posts to believe you think that way. Every one of those coaches has way more football acumen than just about anyone on this site.

By the way, I didn't say ALL of the fans don't understand X's and O's. The quote you pulled from my post said It right there.
Interesting that the charge that a coach is “stubborn” is one I’ve heard a lot over the years. I could name at least 3 coaches who’s offensive play calling brought that charge from Tech fans.

I agree that most of us are not smart enough to know. It is doubtful that a coach is simply being doctrinaire or that they are overlooking something that the fans are noticing. On those rare occasions when CPJ was asked by a bold reporter why a particular play was called or not called I was always very impressed at how precise the answer was and the thought behind the call.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Interesting that the charge that a coach is “stubborn” is one I’ve heard a lot over the years. I could name at least 3 coaches who’s offensive play calling brought that charge from Tech fans.

I agree that most of us are not smart enough to know. It is doubtful that a coach is simply being doctrinaire or that they are overlooking something that the fans are noticing. On those rare occasions when CPJ was asked by a bold reporter why a particular play was called or not called I was always very impressed at how precise the answer was and the thought behind the call.
One of the best things I remember about CPJ was his ability to exploit an opponent's weakness. He seemed to have a knack of probing around until he found what worked and then would proceed to death march you with it. I would feel bad for the opposing coaches at that point. It was basically CPJ saying, I know what you can't stop, you know what you can't stop, and we are going to give it to you the whole length of the football field and there isn't anything you can do to stop it. The best death marches were where it was a constant BB dive. Just absolutely gut-wrenching for a defense to know what's coming and still watch it get 3-5 yards at a time.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Thank you for this. I honestly thought our transfers would give us more stability this year but I see no evidence of that. Would be curious what people think about next year. If we are forced to play people early that often seems problematic with an offensive lineman, either messing with their head or, heaven forbid, injuries.
Texas A&M has two true freshmen starters on the offensive line, two other true freshmen in the two deep and two other redshirt freshmen in the two deep. They more than held their own against the best team in the country. Playing young guys is fine if they are good enough to play and are well coached.