What are you looking for and think we will see Saturday

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I expect to see some plays that weren't brought out for the first 3 games. I expect to see some reverses to counter the fast flow to the sweep side. I kept waiting for that in the GSU when they started overloading the strong side, but they didn't. I expect Foster to force the action, hoping for mistakes and indecisiveness. There will be mistakes, but I think JT will be decisive and we'll burn them some. I expect a much faster flow to the edge and for VPI to clog the middle.

We'll see the most athletic team by far this year, but I think we'll play better than we have.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
^^
Comedy option: Line up under center, snap through to Days at B-back, play as shotgun passing down. Use space to create time for the long bomb. I really, really want to see us exploit the fact that we've got pretty decent arms all over this offense in a way that's kinda crazy for a college team.

I think we'll see Midline and that QB trap (lead?) play we ran so much during the Spring game. I think we'll also wait until they sub their best corners out and then go no huddle and throw at them.
Yeah, let's remember what we've seen and go a little beyond the rush => pass opportunity that we all learned watching our third football game.

Sure, a collapsed rusher from a failed gap blitz is good news for our pass blocking, but remember that VT likes to really, really, really stack the box against us when they do that. The delicious punishment for VT's bum rush we all want to see would be a 30+ yard pass, but I'm not sure that it's the most effective play assuming we see a gap blitz. VT has always been pretty good about awareness around the LOS, and we're at a disadvantage with JT's height for an immediate pass that is strategically different from just doing a rocket toss. Waiting for the big payoff pass to develop seems pretty risky as well because there's still 7-8 angry turkeys in our face. Are we at an advantage if we beat that gap jumper by avoiding him and passing? Sure, but it may not be the biggest advantage.

The Midline and QB trap also seek to exploit that jumper by letting him fall out of play (or neutralizing his jump, for the midline) and, in that situation, also make VT's agressiveness a disadvantage by pushing the ball as fast as we can in the opposite direction that they're hauling ***. The risk, of course, is missed blocks or poor timing leading to a big pileup at the line. But, given the legs on JT when he gets some room, I'd say the payoff is almost as big as a big pass play without the risk of a flattened QB and 5 yard loss.

So, what I want to see: JT effectively seeing and reacting to the gap blitz, and CPJ playing around with Midline/trap/pass to keep VT from adapting.

What I hope we've gotten past: Never developing the sense of timing or awareness to react to the blitz, giving VT a stable strategy against us.

I think a lot of folks miss that the pass isn't a certain winner over VT's attack. Vad Lee, whatever his faults, was a hell of a talented passer, and we saw that he could punish unbalanced defenses at, among other games, U[sic]gA last year. VT is perfectly fine with seeing us pass every down in their current defensive strategy because they have a mean line and (at least historically) some incredibly talented corners.

Last edited:

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This isn't quite what this thread calls for, but... I want to see an offense that is much quicker and more athletic than past teams, and a team which can complete passes to any number of receivers. A team who turns VT's risk taking, super aggressive defensive tactics into big play opportunities.

I want to see the defense find a new gear against a big name conference opponent.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This game really shapes up to be strength vs strength (our O vs their D) and weakness vs weakness (our D vs their O). It even breaks down to biggest weakness vs biggest weakness (our DL vs their OL). I gathered all this from what I know about us from being on this board so much and what I gather about them reading their antiquated board these past few days. They have the home field edge. I just hope JT has his best game to date, that is really the key for us, imo.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Been saving the no huddle, short pass to the A Back offense for this game. CPJ is going to make their Safeties and OLB play straight up with the passing. Foster will blitz early to see if he can rattle JT. If JT can handle the pressure, hit a couple of passes and break a couple of long runs on the draw play in the first half, Foster backs off and we option them to death. We will be frying turkeys for supper.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Been saving the no huddle, short pass to the A Back offense for this game. CPJ is going to make their Safeties and OLB play straight up with the passing. Foster will blitz early to see if he can rattle JT. If JT can handle the pressure, hit a couple of passes and break a couple of long runs on the draw play in the first half, Foster backs off and we option them to death. We will be frying turkeys for supper.
I think passing to the Bback could be particularly successful, too.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
This would be a great game to start playing both halves.

Just as long as the team doesn't psych itself out (i.e. no "go on 2" issues), I think our guys can get this done.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Our passing game is key to victory in my opinion. Smelter or Waller needs to have a big game. Zenon, Andrews and Hill need to get open and make some guys miss. The tackling has to improve big time this game.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Outside of losing turnovers or near complete meltdown on D we win Saturday IMO. Our D is only Ok. I expect our DEs to improve weekly though. Our D might just surprise...in a good way. Lord I hope so. I think the worm is about to turn. Hope springs eternal.