What am I missing?

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We are in year three of a five year Hewitt buyout, are we not? If we let CBG go after this year, we're paying two guys not to coach hoops at GT. Leaves the cupboard kinda bare when it comes to paying still another basketball coach.

I think we view the CBG era as transitional. At best, he makes us competitive again and we keep him around. At worst, he keeps the program alive until we put Hewitt's contract behind us, then we hire a dynamic young coach to take us back to the promised land.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I defend CPJ in football w/off stats, evidence of past HC success, and evidence that he acts to correct problems on D.

Can someone give me reasons to expect more from a CBG team?

One of them walked into a good talent situation. The other walked into a mess.

The trend in offensive stats for one (since you bring those up) is a downward trend. The other has only been here a bit over 2 years, so your really can't say there is a trend.

GT also pays the football coach 4 0r 5 times as much as it pays the basketball coach. From a value perspective, maybe the basketball coach is delivering more. He certainly has more wins over UGa.

I could keep going, but that is a good start. Presently, I don't see much defense for either one, but since you defend the football coach who has been here six years, you have to at least give the basketball coach a chance.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
... Tap the brakes little bit jacketup...

CBG has only had two "real" recruiting classes and has another pretty good class to come. "His" players will be just becoming upper Jr's next year.
IMO That means he gets at least one more year. Most likely two years with the PH contract payout still going on...

I too I am disappointed in the play so far this year and hope things get better.

Unfortunately I cannot see a bright season this year. Regardless, I will pull for the Jackets each game they play.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Without a real PG ,Greg is dead.From begining He thought he could defend so well ,they didn't need to score. WRONG.Now he has just a bad team.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
Check my response above, I honestly think that if Gregory only wins 3-4 ACC games, He is gone with one caveat. If a donor steps up to help eat some of the cost. We have a brand new arena that is sitting close to half empty every home game so far. That fact is not lost on an AD like MBoB. I don't know what our season ticket sales are, but they certainly can't be anywhere to what they were from even a couple of years ago.

MBob is at the very least a capable AD in terms of basketball, He has hired Chris Mack, Thad Matta and Sean Miller. The guy has proven he can hire a very good basketball coach.

Our entire team is made up of players who were in the top 150, with the exception of the walk-ons, Heyward and guess who...Daniel miller. Our friends from the east would kill to have the talent we supposedly have on our bball team.

We waste more talent on the basketball court than every school not named Wake forest over the past 5 years.

I'm sorry for the rant, but after giving a day to try and absorb the loss versus Vanderbilt, I'm even more upset with Gregory and the team and really can't see very many positives going forward.
Bob Hoffman with our budget is a suggested replacement. Thought this 3 years ago, but personally seeing his profile grow at Mercer, don't see us throwing enough $$$ his way

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
Check my response above, I honestly think that if Gregory only wins 3-4 ACC games, He is gone with one caveat. If a donor steps up to help eat some of the cost. We have a brand new arena that is sitting close to half empty every home game so far. That fact is not lost on an AD like MBoB. I don't know what our season ticket sales are, but they certainly can't be anywhere to what they were from even a couple of years ago.

MBob is at the very least a capable AD in terms of basketball, He has hired Chris Mack, Thad Matta and Sean Miller. The guy has proven he can hire a very good basketball coach.

Our entire team is made up of players who were in the top 150, with the exception of the walk-ons, Heyward and guess who...Daniel miller. Our friends from the east would kill to have the talent we supposedly have on our bball team.

We waste more talent on the basketball court than every school not named Wake forest over the past 5 years.

I'm sorry for the rant, but after giving a day to try and absorb the loss versus Vanderbilt, I'm even more upset with Gregory and the team and really can't see very many positives going forward.
They aint our friends and them bastards from the east don't give 2 $***$ bout basketball

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Bob Hoffman with our budget is a suggested replacement. Thought this 3 years ago, but personally seeing his profile grow at Mercer, don't see us throwing enough $$$ his way

You don't win in the ACC with the Bob Hoffmans of the world. Just ask Clemson. Brownell was just as good a coach but is an also-ran in the league now. Remember we have to recruit against HOF level coaches and I'm not even counting Pitino yet. Hoffman would/should pay us to let him coach here.

Now, do I think CBG is our answer? Sadly, no. I always considered him a bridge to get us thru the buyout but hoped he'd surprise us. Doesnt look like my gold-colored optimism will be rewarded.

I think an argument can be made that we actually down-graded in-game coaching. :eek:

gtdrew

Banned
I certainly think this is a different team if Jorgenson is healthy. Having said that, it's growing very tiresome watching this team not get better. I like CBG, and have hd several positive 1-1 interactions with him. Nobody who spends that much time w Tom Izzo doesn't learn a lot about coaching college basketball. I think he's done a good job of going from a "1 and done" program into a program with talent up & down the roster. I do question some of the players he seems to have grafted to in terms of playing time. I'd be willing to give him one more season, bc I always think you should give a coach one season too many rather than one season too few. If we're in the same spot next year, I'll be on the "new coach" bandwagon...

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Yes, Jorgenson looked like he'd make a difference. Unfortunately his knee blew out. (Hope he can play next year).
JMO - CBG is here at least two years before he'd be canned. That gives his fisrt real class a chance to be a senior or a red shirt junior.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
CBG recruited two pretty good players, consensus 70+ in the nation pick and a 150+ in the nation pick. Both good players.

BUT!

Coach K signed the consensus # 1 and #5 players in the nation.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Worse than Blewitt? Really?
At least our in-bounds passes don't look like a Bennie Hill sketch now.

First, that inbounding criticism was so overblown it became a parody of itself. Second, any unbiased observer can see we're not much different from an execution standpoint.

Its funny that one difference is probably the lack of top end talent everybody claims we dont need.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
I certainly think this is a different team if Jorgenson is healthy. Having said that, it's growing very tiresome watching this team not get better. I like CBG, and have hd several positive 1-1 interactions with him. Nobody who spends that much time w Tom Izzo doesn't learn a lot about coaching college basketball. I think he's done a good job of going from a "1 and done" program into a program with talent up & down the roster. I do question some of the players he seems to have grafted to in terms of playing time. I'd be willing to give him one more season, bc I always think you should give a coach one season too many rather than one season too few. If we're in the same spot next year, I'll be on the "new coach" bandwagon...

Absolutely spot on!

The first half of the Vandy game showed what this team is capable of doing. By the same token, the 2nd. half showed us taking steps backwards.

CBG recruited two pretty good players, consensus 70+ in the nation pick and a 150+ in the nation pick. Both good players.

BUT!

Coach K signed the consensus # 1 and #5 players in the nation.

It took Coach K to build into having that. It didn't happen overnight, and at one time early in his career they wanted him out. Same thing with Dean Smith, they hung him in effigy. The rest is HISTORY!

I'm not saying that CBG will turn out like them, I hope he does. But, let's give him a little more time.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
You don't win in the ACC with the Bob Hoffmans of the world. Just ask Clemson. Brownell was just as good a coach but is an also-ran in the league now. Remember we have to recruit against HOF level coaches and I'm not even counting Pitino yet. Hoffman would/should pay us to let him coach here.

Now, do I think CBG is our answer? Sadly, no. I always considered him a bridge to get us thru the buyout but hoped he'd surprise us. Doesnt look like my gold-colored optimism will be rewarded.

I think an argument can be made that we actually down-graded in-game coaching. :eek:

Agree with all of this.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
CPJ "past HC past success"? He inherited the situation at gsu. He was not all that different at USNA than he has been here. His biggest success was a win over a losing ND team.
I defend CPJ in football w/off stats, evidence of past HC success, and evidence that he acts to correct problems on D.

Can someone give me reasons to expect more from a CBG team?