What am I missing?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I defend CPJ in football w/off stats, evidence of past HC success, and evidence that he acts to correct problems on D.

Can someone give me reasons to expect more from a CBG team?

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
AE, I am not real sure I am going to help you out.

CPJ came here with a record of proven success with national champs on his resume.
CBG came here with moderate success in a fairly tough basketball conference.

I am not sure I can say anything beyond that. We shall see. CBG has the background to be a successful coach. But he has to actually do it.
And he has to do it in the toughest conference in college basketball history.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
And I might add that tonight's game at McCamish vs. an undefeated Illinois will be the toughest game so far this young season.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
AE, I am not real sure I am going to help you out.

CPJ came here with a record of proven success with national champs on his resume.
CBG came here with moderate success in a fairly tough basketball conference.

I am not sure I can say anything beyond that. We shall see. CBG has the background to be a successful coach. But he has to actually do it.
And he has to do it in the toughest conference in college basketball history.

CBG's successor at Dayton is 6-1 with a win over #11 Gonzaga and the only loss by 1 pt to #18 Baylor. It seems the institution wasn't the problem at Dayton.

turfjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We should go get Dayton's new coach then? Give it time CBG knows what he's doing. It's a slow build, but it's getting there. We're recruiting and retaining long term ACC caliber guys which, if I recall is what we all wanted back when Hewitt was recruiting the 1 and done type players. This program is on the rise IMO, but will require patience from everyone, which is something that unfortunately doesn't exist anymore in college sports.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
As disappointing as today's game against Vanderbilt was, I believe coach Gregory has at least two if not three more years before he feels any real heat. We are getting better players. Unfortunately we do not have a super strong junior senior class. That does not mean that Daniel Miller or KH are bad players it's that they not great players and in general we don't have any players that a super shooters from 3 pt land... Only hit I think 4 out of 25 or 26 shots from 3-point land against Vanderbilt... ridiculous.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
As disappointing as today's game against Vanderbilt was, I believe coach Gregory has at least two if not three more years before he feels any real heat. We are getting better players. Unfortunately we do not have a super strong junior senior class. That does not mean that Daniel Miller or KH are bad players it's that they not great players and in general we don't have any players that a super shooters from 3 pt land... Only hit I think 4 out of 25 or 26 shots from 3-point land against Vanderbilt... ridiculous.

I'm not so sure about this, I think our new AD is a basketball guy. His previous hires speak volumes to how he has been able to evaluate great coaching talent.

I think CBG has at most 2 years, if not less. This year so far is really killing him as far as progress and perception. The team looks to have taken several steps backwards to the casual fan.

Just look at our attendance, it is horrible.

I think if this season becomes a disaster and a donor steps up, there is a real chance he could get fired at the end of the year.

We are in too good of an area and too good of a conference, with too good of a history to have such a bad basketball team.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I'm not so sure about this, I think our new AD is a basketball guy. His previous hires speak volumes to how he has been able to evaluate great coaching talent.

I think CBG has at most 2 years, if not less. This year so far is really killing him as far as progress and perception. The team looks to have taken several steps backwards to the casual fan.

Just look at our attendance, it is horrible.

I think if this season becomes a disaster and a donor steps up, there is a real chance he could get fired at the end of the year.

We are in too good of an area and too good of a conference, with too good of a history to have such a bad basketball team.
You may be right... Guess my glasses are tinted gold too much... Hoping we get it together and at least get a NIT invite...

Midlands Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I am hoping CBG is the man for the job. I know Tech is some what young, but this year has a been huge disappointment. Losing the FR PG hurt, but if you are going to rely on FR PG's to turn a season around the team is in trouble. It is looking like this staff is still two years away from turning this around. Like GTrob is saying, I'm not sure if he will be given that time.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I started the year so optimistic. We look so, so disjointed. ACC play will be brutal for us. I'm not even talking the top tier teams. We'll struggle again with the Clemsons and FSUs of the world and thats painful to say.

I doubt MBob waits 2 years if we're clearly taking steps back. Based on his history I'd presume he has a strong interest I the bball program.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I started the year so optimistic. We look so, so disjointed. ACC play will be brutal for us. I'm not even talking the top tier teams. We'll struggle again with the Clemsons and FSUs of the world and thats painful to say.

I doubt MBob waits 2 years if we're clearly taking steps back. Based on his history I'd presume he has a strong interest I the bball program.

I wish I started the season optimistically. I started last year optimistically. During the year, I felt ACC coaches were quickly figuring out what we were doing schematically because it seems that we moved from looking so much more organized than in the Hewitt years to looking incompetent. That change seemed unlikely to me to be simply a function of talent.

I saw the same thing today. I don't know basketball enough to be able to say that this is what happened. It could be that we just went cold or that our players just moved away from their coaching.

That's why I started this thread. I don't have much patience for people that criticize our coach in football, so I'm hoping that someone can tell me what I'm missing and help me find reason for hope.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
besides the deep tournament runs twice, the last 30 years of GT basketball has been average at best. Overreact much? The team seems so surprised it does well at times they get excited and can't come back down to earth. It's like a kid riding a bike for the first time. The refs hit us when we were down today and we couldn't shoot. I'm done defending Bolden. Leaving Solo on the bench for this guy is a waste of talent. Bolden should be at best 3rd off the bench behind Kam and Stacey. Solo needs his reps, and I'd put my money behind the guy who can shoot

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
besides the deep tournament runs twice, the last 30 years of GT basketball has been average at best. Overreact much? The team seems so surprised it does well at times they get excited and can't come back down to earth. It's like a kid riding a bike for the first time. The refs hit us when we were down today and we couldn't shoot. I'm done defending Bolden. Leaving Solo on the bench for this guy is a waste of talent. Bolden should be at best 3rd off the bench behind Kam and Stacey. Solo needs his reps, and I'd put my money behind the guy who can shoot
No one can shoot!

Atomic Jacket

Banned
On the other site, I said that we would probably win 4 ACC games this year (maybe five) out of 18 ACC games we have scheduled in the regular season. I am now dropping that prediction to 3 games.

Two questions.

1. Is that good enough for Gregory to survive?
2. What is your predicted number of ACC wins (regular season)?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea. We beat IL. Maybe will win more than a few at home. But, I'm befuddled by our inability to get to the hoop for easy one yesterday.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
On the other site, I said that we would probably win 4 ACC games this year (maybe five) out of 18 ACC games we have scheduled in the regular season. I am now dropping that prediction to 3 games.

Two questions.

1. Is that good enough for Gregory to survive?
2. What is your predicted number of ACC wins (regular season)?

Check my response above, I honestly think that if Gregory only wins 3-4 ACC games, He is gone with one caveat. If a donor steps up to help eat some of the cost. We have a brand new arena that is sitting close to half empty every home game so far. That fact is not lost on an AD like MBoB. I don't know what our season ticket sales are, but they certainly can't be anywhere to what they were from even a couple of years ago.

MBob is at the very least a capable AD in terms of basketball, He has hired Chris Mack, Thad Matta and Sean Miller. The guy has proven he can hire a very good basketball coach.

Our entire team is made up of players who were in the top 150, with the exception of the walk-ons, Heyward and guess who...Daniel miller. Our friends from the east would kill to have the talent we supposedly have on our bball team.

We waste more talent on the basketball court than every school not named Wake forest over the past 5 years.

I'm sorry for the rant, but after giving a day to try and absorb the loss versus Vanderbilt, I'm even more upset with Gregory and the team and really can't see very many positives going forward.