What about the D?

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
So, we've spend a lot of time arguing the relatives pros and cons of an offensive system like the TO at a school like Tech.

But what about the Defensive side of the ball?

Back to my chess analogy for a moment. If you have the black pieces, you can play the Pirc or the KID pretty much REGARDLESS of what white wants to do. You get your pieces on the squares you want them on, and white has to address YOUR set up.

I'm leaning toward the idea that football doesn't work like that, but I'm interested to hear what more knowledgeable folks have to say about this idea.

Is there a scheme for the defense that equalizes to some extent in the way that the TO or the Mesh RPO do?

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I'm just a fan, definitely no expert. But GT will never have "kick butt" DL IMHO. I think our best bet is to try to do really strong on LB/DBs every cycle. We have done this pretty well with DBs for sure, and I think Thacker/Tillman have the scheme going in a good direction. I guess we will have to see what happens on the coaching change but I think the overall scheme we have is fine and is probably a top 30-40 yearly scheme which would be pretty successful in the ACC provided your O doesn't stay a dumpster fire.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm just a fan, definitely no expert. But GT will never have "kick butt" DL IMHO. I think our best bet is to try to do really strong on LB/DBs every cycle.

Isn't that what VT did under Beamer? I never understood why we didn't take the same approach to D.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
So, we've spend a lot of time arguing the relatives pros and cons of an offensive system like the TO at a school like Tech.

But what about the Defensive side of the ball?

Back to my chess analogy for a moment. If you have the black pieces, you can play the Pirc or the KID pretty much REGARDLESS of what white wants to do. You get your pieces on the squares you want them on, and white has to address YOUR set up.

I'm leaning toward the idea that football doesn't work like that, but I'm interested to hear what more knowledgeable folks have to say about this idea.

Is there a scheme for the defense that equalizes to some extent in the way that the TO or the Mesh RPO do?
I'm a baseball guy, so no knowledge of complicated football schemes. However, baseball is a simple game. Pitch the ball, hit the ball, field the ball. The team that executes those three elements best usually wins the game. Clearly there are a lot of intricacies within each component, and talent differential definitely plays a huge role, but pretty simple.

I look at football in a similar manner. You have 11 players on offense, 11 players on defense. Within every scheme, each defensive player should have an offensive player as his assignment. Talent level being the same, keep your assignment and do your job, defense succeeds. Lose track of the offensive player you're assigned to, or just don't have the talent to keep up, and you could give up a big play. I believe this is where the Triple Option offense succeeds and fails. If you have a defense that is disciplined and of an equivalent talent level, that defense will stop the offense by keeping their assignments and beating, or matching, them. If you have even one player on defense whose eyes wander to a player that they're not assigned to, or are of inferior talent level, you have the opportunity to exploit that matchup and execute a big play.

So as a short answer to your question, I don't think that there's any particular defensive scheme that is the holy grail. I think that it's a matter of talent and disciplined, assignment football. When a coaching staff realizes that there is a significant lack of talent versus a certain offense or offensive players, then perhaps a change in defensive philosophy to account for that is necessary. But the same analogy as baseball really applies. Know who has the ball and tackle the guy who has the ball.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
I think whoever we hire should retain thacker he has done a helluva job considering how the offense throws them out there on the feild at times in the season.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think whoever we hire should retain thacker he has done a helluva job considering how the offense throws them out there on the feild at times in the season.
UGA and UNC will expose some truths in this regard. The coastal is so bad this year it's hard to tell how much has been our competence vs our opponents being that bad. Against FSU, there are some symptoms of them knowing and attacking our defensive schemes without us making adjustments. Of course, we were getting beat in the trenches so bad it was hard to tell because we just couldn't keep their OL off our linebackers all day.

We've had good LB play this year for probably the first time since the '00s, we've blitzed frequently which has resulted in pressures and fumbles, Keion White is probably our best DL since Derrick Morgan, and our CBs are much improved. I'm happy to see some good defense, but question how much of it is strategy making the most of our pawns vs having some knights (horses) for once.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
UGA and UNC will expose some truths in this regard. The coastal is so bad this year it's hard to tell how much has been our competence vs our opponents being that bad. Against FSU, there are some symptoms of them knowing and attacking our defensive schemes without us making adjustments. Of course, we were getting beat in the trenches so bad it was hard to tell because we just couldn't keep their OL off our linebackers all day.

We've had good LB play this year for probably the first time since the '00s, we've blitzed frequently which has resulted in pressures and fumbles, Keion White is probably our best DL since Derrick Morgan, and our CBs are much improved. I'm happy to see some good defense, but question how much of it is strategy making the most of our pawns vs having some knights (horses) for once.
I think we suprise one of those teams for a half teams think their is some secret formula to beating the mutts it's simpler than people realize

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If Thacker is gone as is likely at the end of the season we should look into Gary Patterson as DC, dude is currently working as an analyst at Texas for $150k/year and still getting 6 mil/year until 2024 from TCU.