What’s next for the ACC?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I guess the term rival is subjective but aside from Maryland we have played 16 games total against the rest of the Big 10 all time. Compare that to 80+ vs Duke and Clemson. 50+ vs UNC. 40+ vs UVA. We would be giving up ND games as well who we have played 36 times. We simply have no history with the Big 10 at all and I’m not entirely sure playing any of them would interest our fan base at all.

As for UGA, I’m not sure what would have happened. If you didn’t notice, there are no Big 10 teams playing out of conference games the last week of the season. Would the game have been moved earlier in the season? Would the Big 10 have made concessions just for us? I’m not sure.
I think GT should join the PAC-12. There‘s absolutely no reason to, which is why it makes perfect sense. Let’s play teams we have nothing in common with and show the country that when it comes to scrapping nickels off a hot sidewalk, Tech has no peer. Besides, the cheerleaders are hot.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I guess the term rival is subjective but aside from Maryland we have played 16 games total against the rest of the Big 10 all time. Compare that to 80+ vs Duke and Clemson. 50+ vs UNC. 40+ vs UVA. We would be giving up ND games as well who we have played 36 times. We simply have no history with the Big 10 at all and I’m not entirely sure playing any of them would interest our fan base at all.

As for UGA, I’m not sure what would have happened. If you didn’t notice, there are no Big 10 teams playing out of conference games the last week of the season. Would the game have been moved earlier in the season? Would the Big 10 have made concessions just for us? I’m not sure.

No B1G teams play out of conference because they're all playing their in-state rivals or historical rivals....and that for us is UGA.

If we were so worried about keeping "natural rivalries" or "historical rivalries", we would never have left the SEC...which was the original mistake that led to all of this, and a whole other discussion.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Enrollment helps and GT is now the 2nd largest in the state.
Isn't that mostly to do with online Masters programs?

I thought in student count GT was behind Ga State and Kennesaw State now. Oddly with all of that online Masters we passed UGa student count in the last couple of years.

Then again I don't know the percentage "on campus" for each is. That is what helps drive a fan base more so than tempting in from out of the state or country.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Isn't that mostly to do with online Masters programs?

I thought in student count GT was behind Ga State and Kennesaw State now. Oddly with all of that online Masters we passed UGa student count in the last couple of years.

Then again I don't know the percentage "on campus" for each is. That is what helps drive a fan base more so than tempting in from out of the state or country.
Exactly online masters is just a cash grab. It’s doesn’t drive fanbase growth. Heck, I know four people earning online masters from GT now. None of them care at all about GT sports.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Exactly online masters is just a cash grab. It’s doesn’t drive fanbase growth. Heck, I know four people earning online masters from GT now. None of them care at all about GT sports.
Nobody cares about GT sports because there has been nothing to care about. Give them something & the interest in our sports programs will pick up.

Just look at basketball chat. The last 3 years I’d wonder if anyone other than the 2-3 regulars would show up each game. Suddenly the list is 25 people long.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I am currently in an online masters program at Tech. My class alone has over 1000 students spread all over the world. Practically none of them even know Tech has sports - much less care about them

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I am currently in an online masters program at Tech. My class alone has over 1000 students spread all over the world. Practically none of them even know Tech has sports - much less care about them
Online courses are strictly for cash. Departments offer them because it’s an easy cash fix. From my experience, there is almost no attempt to mimic an on campus university experience or culture.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If you graduate from an online program, do they distinguish between an online degree and a "traditional" degree?

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Nope. And, at least according to my professors, we have the same workloads and exams as the on-campus students, so it's an unusually rigorous online program.

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
If you graduate from an online program, do they distinguish between an online degree and a "traditional" degree?
UF now has totally online undergraduate degrees 'intended' for people who are place restricted. They actually use it as a way to boost enrollment by many thousands, and alot of the students are the next in line that couldn't get accepted. The students pay a reduced tuition and are banned from campus facilities. Many students still come to Gainesville, get an apartment, and do the college experience, but never come to campus (except sporting events).

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm guessing you interviewed them all? Your opinion doesn't mean it is a fact.

Also, would you rather have enrollment or not whether it is online or not.

More students, more money, more potential fans down the road whether immediately or when they recognize GT on the TV. End of story.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm guessing you interviewed them all? Your opinion doesn't mean it is a fact.

Also, would you rather have enrollment or not whether it is online or not.

More students, more money, more potential fans down the road whether immediately or when they recognize GT on the TV. End of story.
Just stick an athletics fee onto their on-line tuition fees. Lots of extra $$ for the GTAA.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I’m not sure a lot of the conference issues matter. Football is destined for a significant makeover ... for most teams (80), the season is over by the end of September. The money is accelerating towards 8-10 programs on a consistent basis, as is recruiting. Media is saturated with football.

There’s A lot of discussion for 20 teams to break off and form a new CFA and that’s a distinct possibility. If that happens, the rest of the playing field is much more equal and these conference changes become almost meaningless.