Well, Well, Well.....

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Fire Paul Johnson, he's just collecting a paycheck and not fighting for GT football.

Snarkiness aside, there are a lot of things going on in the background that most of us don't see (or care to see) that PJ is doing. No new major just magically shows up - this has been in the works for a few years now. PJ recognized that recruiting is an issue and fought for the new major and new recruiting support staff (welcome back, Joe Ham), something no other GT coach was able or willing to do. Unfortunately as fans we are always in a "what have you done for me lately" mood, and the fruits of these new efforts won't pay off for a few years. Still, it's good to be hopeful.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
Still a Bachelor of Science degree which is still more difficult than 90% of what most college football players major in. ..maybe slightly easier electives
I remember reading this early last summer. It is still a step in the right direction, regardless of whether it is still more difficult than what other CFB players are taking.

Chad

Georgia Tech Fan
Tech football is headed is a good direction if this is 100% true. CPJ still needs to and more wrinkles in the offense. From what I have seen from Vad Lee, he is so much more comfortable out the gun. CPJ is just old fashion my way or the high way type. He is his own enemy!

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I have posted this several times on different boards re the Hill and GT.I understand nobody wants to go to a school that is a diploma mill even though when I went I had a different view.It seems the Hill thinks that loosening up the course book downgrades the degree many of you got after some hard hard work.I can see that point but if we are going to deal with liberal art schools with basket weaving 101 etc seems to me we either recruit nationally for guys that can pass or we are always going to be behind the big uns..Now to me when a doctor is fixing to operate I dont worry about his degree from georgie being downgraded.I know he has paid the price and if you have a degree that says engineer then I guess I wonder how a football player downgrades the degree.Nope dont want a situation where all football players pass and get degrees from doing little or nothing but sadly if we are going to compete something has to be done..The Hill can help or hinder as we all know......time to get it right.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Tech football is headed is a good direction if this is 100% true. CPJ still needs to and more wrinkles in the offense. From what I have seen from Vad Lee, he is so much more comfortable out the gun. CPJ is just old fashion my way or the high way type. He is his own enemy!
Chad being under the center is not his cup of tea..he was a option spread qb in HS and it at times shows..I think he can get this but we may need another year to see how well he does.Great athlete no doubt but still like him in the spread.

Chad

Georgia Tech Fan
@Mack I agree 100% with your post.

Tech wants to be Princeton monday-friday and Oklahoma on Saturdays. This is why GT has struggled the past 50 years in football.

Chad

Georgia Tech Fan
@Mack
That's what my post was saying. I honestly believe lee can win us 1 or 2 more games a year if CPJ would let him make plays out of the gun. You can't win a NC running the ball 80% of the time.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I remember reading this early last summer. It is still a step in the right direction, regardless of whether it is still more difficult than what other CFB players are taking.

A step, but a small one. The stated intent is to create a minor to be pursued within one of the existing degree programs - no backing off the basic requirements within those programs. Calc is here to stay, I guess.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
@Mack
That's what my post was saying. I honestly believe lee can win us 1 or 2 more games a year if CPJ would let him make plays out of the gun. You can't win a NC running the ball 80% of the time.

I could've sworn that we put him in the gun a lot at the early part of the season. We gave him SF49r zone reads from the diamond. We gave him 3+ route runners and brought in extra protection. What happened? It seemed to me that he wasn't making zone reads very well and wasn't selling the fake. On passing plays, he was picking a receiver and throwing into coverage rather than doing check downs. When pressure came, he didn't step up into the pocket but tried to run out of it and threw off his back foot.

Now, don't get me wrong. I saw the same flashes that others did. When he did step into his throw, he threw some pretty passes. His best throws were better than what we've seen in CPJ era, imo. However, I don't buy the notion that CPJ wasn't trying to give Vad the opportunity.

FWIW, Auburn rushed 72% of the time this season, and we rushed 78%. I'm not saying that Auburn's going to win the MNC, but I'm not sure that your assumption necessarily follows (and I know 78 rounds to 80 but 72 rounds to 70).

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
FWIW I was told by someone 2 months ago who should know these things that Bobinski was working to increase the number of exceptions across all sports. Combine that with more majors and maybe we see some improvement in recruiting. However I will add that this same person said that the biggest obstacle we face with the elite recruits is the perception that our offense will hinder and not help their chances of playing in the NFL and this is used against us by other schools rather effectively. We opened it up against ugag on national tv so maybe that will help things but Johnson needs to follow thru in the bowl game and make a true commitment going forward to diversify this offense if he wants any chance at most elite level prospects. Changing the perception of his offense is going to take more than just words at this point. He can say it all he wants but he has to show it on the field because there is 6 years worth of film of him at Tech that says otherwise. As for the exceptions no one will make some grand announcement about it but I look for signs in who we are recruiting and the Whitehead situation is encouraging to me that maybe Bobinski is having some success in that area. There is no way we would have even looked at a JUCO kid the past several years.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Well lets see....majority feel Vad has not fully grasped the system......some have said he (and I am one of them) is better off in the spread.Some say he throws off back foot at time and I agree but maybe just maybe he has to throw it over def lineman head....if not then yes he needs to step up.Some like to see him stay in the gun(I do) but its clear in my humble opinion and I dont need stats for that that Vad is not getting the most out of his ability now..........So tech fans what do you do ? Stay with him and give him another year(2)bench him for JT and use him for special plays(3)play him exclusively in the spread or we teach him to throw short ?(4)change offense? Yeah I know is dead in the water...so what do you think.I saw him in film in HS and its clear he is a good good athlete with a desire to win..I will play him another year and hope he gets better with the option,

Mack

Helluva Engineer
FWIW I was told by someone 2 months ago who should know these things that Bobinski was working to increase the number of exceptions across all sports. Combine that with more majors and maybe we see some improvement in recruiting. However I will add that this same person said that the biggest obstacle we face with the elite recruits is the perception that our offense will hinder and not help their chances of playing in the NFL and this is used against us by other schools rather effectively. We opened it up against ugag on national tv so maybe that will help things but Johnson needs to follow thru in the bowl game and make a true commitment going forward to diversify this offense if he wants any chance at most elite level prospects. Changing the perception of his offense is going to take more than just words at this point. He can say it all he wants but he has to show it on the field because there is 6 years worth of film of him at Tech that says otherwise. As for the exceptions no one will make some grand announcement about it but I look for signs in who we are recruiting and the Whitehead situation is encouraging to me that maybe Bobinski is having some success in that area. There is no way we would have even looked at a JUCO kid the past several years.
Hope you are right,saw the option at statesboro many times and when you open it up and throw it around you always seem to have one on one coverage and big plays.Like the scheme we used at georgie and hope to see more of it.Not a option man since I agree you need special guys to run it properly but when you put it in the air fun happens ......if we catch it.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

Getting rid of the terms B back and A back should be the next step in convincing the better athletes to come. It is associated with a true TO lined up like service academies and high schools do. Not a good association if you want better RB's.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Getting rid of the terms B back and A back should be the next step in convincing the better athletes to come. It is associated with a true TO lined up like service academies and high schools do. Not a good association if you want b chest every play.etter RB's.
that would help since not many stud backs want to run dive all day and not mnay passers like getting a riddell in chest every play.Like some said....kids like NFL

Chad

Georgia Tech Fan
Lets all hope for changes at TECH including our uniforms hahaha! Who is ready for December 30?? I know I am.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer

Hope you are right...

These articles give me hope that Tech is headed in a direction that will allow us to compete against the factories that surround us. Also might I add that I have not seen a decrease in my paycheck since these articles were published...To my surprise.