Well that sucked.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think there is a huge talent gap between this team and the rest of the league. Would any of our players start for another ACC team? It does not seem like it.

Myles Kelly stats against P5 opponents this year (points/rebs/assists) - FG%:

Clemson: 17/5/1 41.7%
UNC: 15/4/0 50%
UGA: 17/5/2 38.5%
Iowa: 21/4/1 57.1%
Utah: 9/4/0 28.6%

Funny enough, he's played his best against P5 opponents.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I think there is a huge talent gap between this team and the rest of the league. Would any of our players start for another ACC team? It does not seem like it.
Deebo and Jalon would start at 'Cuse. Miles Kelly is as good as Girard if not better, imo, especially if given unlimited leash.

gdamian

Georgia Tech Fan
Deebo and Jalon would start at 'Cuse. Miles Kelly is as good as Girard if not better, imo, especially if given unlimited leash.
I think Deebo is capable of being a great player. He isn't playing great now. I am not sure if that is coaching, motivation or injuries.

Miles has stepped up and also has the potential to be a terrific player. My thought was that he was closest to being a starter for other teams.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The primary move in our Princeton is a dribble by the 5 to a downscreen hand off for the guard to get the ball at or around the foul line / top of the key. Teams simply go under the screen and trail the guard up high. The defensive big isn't worried about our 5 and allows room for the defensive guard to go around the pick. So our guard gets the ball at the top of the key area with the defensive guard trailing in prime defensive position for any drive and the defensive 5 is already sitting in the lane to help. We roll the other guard up to the top of the key supposedly to replace the guard with the ball when he drives but it often just clogs things up. But it is required for floor balance to make sure we have someone back. But there are usually 3 offensive and 3 defensive players in the lane through the top of the key. More than enough defense in a small area to make everything difficult. No reason at all for either corner defender to help - stay with the shooter. It ain't difficult to see - and it was happening last year as well.

If Pastner is just now realizing the league isn't helping on the drive from the top of the key then I really don't know what to say. He has to move on from the modified princeton. Batt should be beating him up on this.
the definition of the old clogged new jersey toilet bowl - too many terds in the lane

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
Not only do we not have any offensive rhythm (coaching), we can’t shoot (players)
Can't shoot is a mix of players and recruiting. When was the last time you heard about a top HS shooter being recruited? I think Pastner is too much like Calipari. He wants shiny Sportcenter athletes, shooting is of little concern (can they dunk when they get that one chance each game?). Pastner simply cannot recruit at a division 1 level. He needs to be coaching a Mercer or Fort Valley State, not Georgia Tech.

Calipari can recruit, but he can't coach a lick without top assistants. Pastner can't recruit a lick with top recruiting assistant and is about as good an X/O coach as Calipari is. I want a top "coach" or a top "recruiter" from a mid tier or lower tier program or an assistant from a top program that is known to be the brains behind on court success.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Can't shoot is a mix of players and recruiting. When was the last time you heard about a top HS shooter being recruited? I think Pastner is too much like Calipari. He wants shiny Sportcenter athletes, shooting is of little concern (can they dunk when they get that one chance each game?). Pastner simply cannot recruit at a division 1 level. He needs to be coaching a Mercer or Fort Valley State, not Georgia Tech.

Calipari can recruit, but he can't coach a lick without top assistants. Pastner can't recruit a lick with top recruiting assistant and is about as good an X/O coach as Calipari is. I want a top "coach" or a top "recruiter" from a mid tier or lower tier program or an assistant from a top program that is known to be the brains behind on court success.
Don’t really get your first paragraph. Deebo Coleman and Miles Kelly were both shooters in HS. Mike Devoe was recruited as a sharpshooter. I do think Pastner is a good fit at a non-power conference nerd school though. I think he could tear it up in the Patriot League or Ivy League.

I think it will be tough to attract a top coach or top recruiter to our HC position without a lot of money and a lot of institutional support. Many of the top up and coming mid-major coaches want their potentially only P6 shot at a place that will put them in a position to succeed. You don’t grind out program building seasons for a decade at Winthrop and College of Charleston to come to Georgia Tech.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Don’t really get your first paragraph. Deebo Coleman and Miles Kelly were both shooters in HS. Mike Devoe was recruited as a sharpshooter. I do think Pastner is a good fit at a non-power conference nerd school though. I think he could tear it up in the Patriot League or Ivy League.

I think it will be tough to attract a top coach or top recruiter to our HC position without a lot of money and a lot of institutional support. Many of the top up and coming mid-major coaches want their potentially only P6 shot at a place that will put them in a position to succeed. You don’t grind out program building seasons for a decade at Winthrop and College of Charleston to come to Georgia Tech.
So why is VT a better place to coach than GT? They got a coach who did what you described and they are much better than GT. Recruiting BB players to southwest VA isn’t easy.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
So why is VT a better place to coach than GT? They got a coach who did what you described and they are much better than GT. Recruiting BB players to southwest VA isn’t easy.
They dropped cheddar on Buzz Williams to build back up the program before Mike Young. This matters less these days with NIL in play but they also pack out Cassell with nothing but maroon and orange. They also are probably more attractive academically for the average Top 150 basketball player with NBA aspirations.

I agree with you that Atlanta should be a good pull for us. There is a very strong argument to make that that’s how we got Deivon Smith - he’s probably the largest influencer in GT athletics.

Occasionally a program gets lucky with a diamond in the rough Steve Pikiell type. Maybe that’s what we need.