Well that sucked.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Oof. Just embarrassing. Unlike the other losses there wasn’t much upside or silver linings besides maybe Jalon Moore having a solid night. Here are some things I noticed.

• This PJ Hall kid for Clemson is GOOD. One of the most underrated players in the ACC.
  • Our defense was okay, but our offense HAS to complement it with competent scoring if we want to win games. Our offense is enjoyable when it works, but when it doesn’t work (like last night) it’s really upsetting to watch.
  • We likely won’t win the next two games, which are at home vs a top 10 UVA and a Miami team who is also ranked and beat UVA. What I hope to see in those games is at least a gritty, scrappy, not backing down performance. We may not win, but I’d like us to play our guts out.
  • I plan to go to that Virginia game, and I need ALL YOU TECH FANS TO COME OUT TOO! We need to support the guys! Losing is frustrating, but they’re OUR team!
Our team has potential, they’re just young. (We also still are above .500) This loss was upsetting but hey, the team can learn lessons from it. Here’s to better basketball in the future.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We are just not talented enough at center this year to play with the top teams. Running a high post offense makes offensive rebounding very difficult and so far our high post has not been able to drive the paint or hit a short jump shot.
I expect us to end up with more dribble penetration as the season progresses and less of this high post offense. We are not running it with quickness either. Too slow progressing and standing off the ball. Very easy for good teams to defend.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I really was disheartened by the performance last night.
1) We missed open looks
2) Played soft on D
3) Didn't find any rhythm in transition on O in the whole first half

Not a good set of elements. I don't see how we can win this season if we do not move away from this high post princeton. CJP even said in his presser last night that the league is coaching everyone to avoid sagging off and are being coached to not let the KEY COMPONENT of opening looks to occur.

That part is really frustrating.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I really was disheartened by the performance last night.
1) We missed open looks
2) Played soft on D
3) Didn't find any rhythm in transition on O in the whole first half

Not a good set of elements. I don't see how we can win this season if we do not move away from this high post princeton. CJP even said in his presser last night that the league is coaching everyone to avoid sagging off and are being coached to not let the KEY COMPONENT of opening looks to occur.

That part is really frustrating.
Why sag off when there is no real inside threat. Just play tight on the perimeter and not give many open looks.
I think this team will ultimately be forced to put the ball on the floor, drive the paint, set some screens, force switches, and try to collapse the defense.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
The primary move in our Princeton is a dribble by the 5 to a downscreen hand off for the guard to get the ball at or around the foul line / top of the key. Teams simply go under the screen and trail the guard up high. The defensive big isn't worried about our 5 and allows room for the defensive guard to go around the pick. So our guard gets the ball at the top of the key area with the defensive guard trailing in prime defensive position for any drive and the defensive 5 is already sitting in the lane to help. We roll the other guard up to the top of the key supposedly to replace the guard with the ball when he drives but it often just clogs things up. But it is required for floor balance to make sure we have someone back. But there are usually 3 offensive and 3 defensive players in the lane through the top of the key. More than enough defense in a small area to make everything difficult. No reason at all for either corner defender to help - stay with the shooter. It ain't difficult to see - and it was happening last year as well.

If Pastner is just now realizing the league isn't helping on the drive from the top of the key then I really don't know what to say. He has to move on from the modified princeton. Batt should be beating him up on this.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Oof. Just embarrassing. Unlike the other losses there wasn’t much upside or silver linings besides maybe Jalon Moore having a solid night. Here are some things I noticed.

• This PJ Hall kid for Clemson is GOOD. One of the most underrated players in the ACC.
  • Our defense was okay, but our offense HAS to complement it with competent scoring if we want to win games. Our offense is enjoyable when it works, but when it doesn’t work (like last night) it’s really upsetting to watch.
  • We likely won’t win the next two games, which are at home vs a top 10 UVA and a Miami team who is also ranked and beat UVA. What I hope to see in those games is at least a gritty, scrappy, not backing down performance. We may not win, but I’d like us to play our guts out.
  • I plan to go to that Virginia game, and I need ALL YOU TECH FANS TO COME OUT TOO! We need to support the guys! Losing is frustrating, but they’re OUR team!
Our team has potential, they’re just young. (We also still are above .500) This loss was upsetting but hey, the team can learn lessons from it. Here’s to better basketball in the future.
The "just young" is total crap. We play 3 second year players out of 8 who get the minutes. One 3rd year player and the other 5 are all 4th or more years in as college basketball players. We play no freshmen. Come up with a better excuse for a poorly coached marginally talented team.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
The "just young" is total crap. We play 3 second year players out of 8 who get the minutes. One 3rd year player and the other 5 are all 4th or more years in as college basketball players. We play no freshmen. Come up with a better excuse for a poorly coached marginally talented team.
Finals week. Christmas? Refs? Flu? Solstice?

The guys never play well when it’s 52.8 degrees in Atlanta. Something to do with the humidity levels combined with the darkness, their eyes have a hard time adjusting to the lighting in McCamish when they go inside.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Finals week. Christmas? Refs? Flu? Solstice?

The guys never play well when it’s 52.8 degrees in Atlanta. Something to do with the humidity levels combined with the darkness, their eyes have a hard time adjusting to the lighting in McCamish when they go inside.
When has this team played well this year against a quality opponent. They haven't yet. Hopefully they will but to date there is nothing to believe that will happen. A long way to go but the preseason prediction looks fairly accurate at this point. Disturbing for year 7 for a team that is NOT young by any means!

gdamian

Georgia Tech Fan
I think there is a huge talent gap between this team and the rest of the league. Would any of our players start for another ACC team? It does not seem like it.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
When has this team played well this year against a quality opponent. They haven't yet. Hopefully they will but to date there is nothing to believe that will happen. A long way to go but the preseason prediction looks fairly accurate at this point. Disturbing for year 7 for a team that is NOT young by any means!
The scary thing is this may be us playing well.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I think there is a huge talent gap between this team and the rest of the league. Would any of our players start for another ACC team? It does not seem like it.
our entire starting five would likely start for Boston College, Deebo, Miles and Howard would start at Louisville. Miles Kelly would start for a lot of teams in the league.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If Pastner is just now realizing the league isn't helping on the drive from the top of the key then I really don't know what to say. He has to move on from the modified princeton. Batt should be beating him up on this.
I don't know anything at all about our BB team but lurk here from time to time. WTBS, if I am an AD, if I have to tell my guy HOW to coach and what system to run, I would pretty much assume that I would need someone else to be the coach. (I want to hasten to add as I am neither pro/con for CJP so don't read anything else into my post.) What I would do IF I were the Ad would be to define objectives and targets for my coaches that must be met, then let them figure out how best to achieve them.

gdamian

Georgia Tech Fan
our entire starting five would likely start for Boston College, Deebo, Miles and Howard would start at Louisville. Miles Kelly would start for a lot of teams in the league.
I won't contest you, but simply say that even that isn't actually very much.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't know anything at all about our BB team but lurk here from time to time. WTBS, if I am an AD, if I have to tell my guy HOW to coach and what system to run, I would pretty much assume that I would need someone else to be the coach. (I want to hasten to add as I am neither pro/con for CJP so don't read anything else into my post.) What I would do IF I were the Ad would be to define objectives and targets for my coaches that must be met, then let them figure out how best to achieve them.
I actually don’t argue with you at all. Allow me a bit of frustration on my part for what I see as an obvious issue

I do hope Batt is saying these results are not acceptable and an obvious major issue for this team is offensive production.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I actually don’t argue with you at all. Allow me a bit of frustration on my part for what I see as an obvious issue

I do hope Batt is saying these results are not acceptable and an obvious major issue for this team is offensive production.
I've been a GT fan for a long time. I've seen a lot of losing. I don't like the losing, but when our team plays hard & smart it takes the edge off. Winning by playing hard & smart, knocking off a top talent we got no business hanging with is glorious. We're not showing any signs this is even remotely possible this year.

We're not playing smart, I'm having difficulty characterizing our effort as playing hard. We look confused often, sometimes disinterested, frequently disorganized, etc. It's getting to the point where we're damn near unwatchable. I'm not sure how we get out of this mess, but Batt better lay down the law fast otherwise he'll be down to 1 revenue generating sport carrying the entire load. We may be there already.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Deebo has the talent to start for a bunch of ACC teams I think, but it’s hard to tell in this offense.

Give this roster to Mike Young and see what he does with it if you want be really angry.
So.....you're saying there's hope?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Deebo has the talent to start for a bunch of ACC teams I think, but it’s hard to tell in this offense.

Give this roster to Mike Young and see what he does with it if you want be really angry.

I see their individual talent and I wonder why it's just not translating as a whole...but that's what you pay coaches for. This team definitely has the talent.