Well, I guess it may not be all that surprising

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
If I understand correctly, gsu will now be broadcast on 92.9.

Same station as the falcons - you know that NFL team.

And we are stuck with 680 (And their joke of an fm station. Can't remember the number) No reception after the sun goes down, or if a cloud passes over, or if someone farts outside the perimeter.

So let the chorus begin that it doesn't matter. That it is better to drag a laptop into HGF to listen, or use cyrus, or Sirrious, or whatever that crap is, or some feed that has a 34 second delay after the play is run.

So tell people with really committed programs that a decent station with live broadcasts of the games don't matter. It does. Even scum gsu realizes it.

Failure is not an option? Hell, at GT it is often our expectation. Going 1st class matters.

Last edited:

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

And we are stuck with 680 (And their joke of an fm station. Can't remember the number) No reception after the sun goes down, or if a cloud passes over, or if someone farts outside the perimeter.

So let the chorus begin that it doesn't matter. That it is better to drag a laptop into HGF to listen, or use cyrus, or Sirrious, or whatever that crap is, or some feed that has a 34 second delay after the play is run.

So tell people with really committed programs that a decent station with live broadcasts of the games don't matter. It does. Even scum gsu realizes it.

Failure is not an option? Hell, at GT it is often our expectation. Going 1st class matters.
I listen to GT sports on the Georgia Tech IMG Sports Network online so it doesn't bother me much at all;)

Milwaukee

Banned

I bet you're a riot at parties.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

680 is 93.7 I believe. I think its a bit too close to 94.1 which is a strong signal. I dont get 93.7 very well in Kennesaw, but anywhere near the perimeter, its ok. Terrestrial radio may only last another generation at most.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Yeah! What does the G S T stand for?
Georgia School Of Technology is the ol' story line... But alas not the case... Not sure what if anything it stood for, but close enough. [emoji3]

March 17, 1922

WGST Began Broadcasting

Two days after the Atlanta Journal’s new WSB radio station went on the air, the Atlanta Constitutionlaunched its rival radio station - with the call letters WGST. Initially, the new station used the radio facilities of Georgia Railway and Power Company. In the following months, the Constitution built its own facilities and successfully petitioned the U.S. Department of Commerce to change the call letters to WGM. Within a year, however, Constitution publisher Clark Howell, Sr. decided to get out of the radio business. In August 1923, he allowed WGM’s license to expire. Howell happened to be a trustee of Georgia Tech and decided to donate his radio station to Tech. In January 1923, Tech began operating its new radio station as WBBF. In 1925, the call letters reverted to the original WGST.

Last edited:
Georgia School Of Technology is the ol' story line... But alas not the case... Not sure what if anything it stood for, but close enough. [emoji3]

March 17, 1922

WGST Began Broadcasting

Two days after the Atlanta Journal’s new WSB radio station went on the air, the Atlanta Constitutionlaunched its rival radio station - with the call letters WGST. Initially, the new station used the radio facilities of Georgia Railway and Power Company. In the following months, the Constitution built its own facilities and successfully petitioned the U.S. Department of Commerce to change the call letters to WGM. Within a year, however, Constitution publisher Clark Howell, Sr. decided to get out of the radio business. In August 1923, he allowed WGM’s license to expire. Howell happened to be a trustee of Georgia Tech and decided to donate his radio station to Tech. In January 1923, Tech began operating its new radio station as WBBF. In 1925, the call letters reverted to the original WGST.
Why do you say that's not the case? Do we know for sure that the Constitution didn't mean for G S T to stand for Georgia School of Technology? After all Tech was the only show in town in 1922 and the papers actually supported and bragged about Tech. I can't imagine them just pulling the letters out of a hat. At any rate, I would bet that in 1925, the station owners recognized the significance of those letters and happily jumped at the chance to use them again.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Why do you say that's not the case? Do we know for sure that the Constitution didn't mean for G S T to stand for Georgia School of Technology? After all Tech was the only show in town in 1922 and the papers actually supported and bragged about Tech. I can't imagine them just pulling the letters out of a hat. At any rate, I would bet that in 1925, the station owners recognized the significance of those letters and happily jumped at the chance to use them again.

Point being is the station didn't start as WGST. From https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3WknFiJnKLwHCnL72vedxjQkDDP1mXWo6uco/wiki/WGST_(AM).html

WGST's original broadcast license for 710 kHz was issued by the Federal Radio Commission March 17, 1922 (or March 19, 1922), with the call sign WGM. The station's origin pre-dates the 1922 date when the station went by the experimental radio call sign of "4FT".[ The owner was the Atlanta Constitution, responding to the rival Atlanta Journal 's new WSB. The FCC issued WGM's license days after WSB's March 15, 1922 grant on 740 kHz. The current WGST call sign was assigned to the station after the station was donated to the Georgia School of Technology (now Georgia Institute of Technology) in 1923 following the station going out of business in late July of that year. The WGM license was allowed to expire in August 1923, and new call signs issued to the school on January 13 (or 11) of 1924 as WBBF, later becoming WGST in 1925 when the station moved to 1110 kHz.

So yes in the end GST = Georgia Institute of Technology ( formerly Georgia School Of Technology)

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
92.9 can broadcast and promote GSU without fear of ticking off dwag fans and the GSU fans ( both of them ) won't care when the hosts slobber over the dwags the other 99% of the time.

680 always sounds very uncomfortable talking about Tech.....they know they have to mention us every so often, but they prefer to pair it with a UGA mention so that the dwagholes don't get their undies in a wad.

Point being is the station didn't start as WGST. From https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3WknFiJnKLwHCnL72vedxjQkDDP1mXWo6uco/wiki/WGST_(AM).html

WGST's original broadcast license for 710 kHz was issued by the Federal Radio Commission March 17, 1922 (or March 19, 1922), with the call sign WGM. The station's origin pre-dates the 1922 date when the station went by the experimental radio call sign of "4FT".[ The owner was the Atlanta Constitution, responding to the rival Atlanta Journal 's new WSB. The FCC issued WGM's license days after WSB's March 15, 1922 grant on 740 kHz. The current WGST call sign was assigned to the station after the station was donated to the Georgia School of Technology (now Georgia Institute of Technology) in 1923 following the station going out of business in late July of that year. The WGM license was allowed to expire in August 1923, and new call signs issued to the school on January 13 (or 11) of 1924 as WBBF, later becoming WGST in 1925 when the station moved to 1110 kHz.

So yes in the end GST = Georgia Institute of Technology ( formerly Georgia School Of Technology)
So call letters were ASSIGNED to stations by the FCC? If that is/was indeed the case, then I can't argue it, but if the call letters were CHOSEN by the owner, then I think I do.

Deleted member 2897

Especially when trying to hear a GT game and everybody gives up so they change over to the game of a school that gives a damn.

I appreciate your passion. Have you tried contacting someone in the GTAA to see if they can run some sort of funding drive to buy a better station or whatever you think a better solution might be? In my experience, those guys do listen and so far ADTS has been the man of a thousand ideas.