Week 1 Media #GTvsFSU

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Yeah, I am a balanced dude. I keep Calm about most things in my life. GT sports, there is a reason fan is shorthand for fanatic.
I’m the same way. When I miss games (we have a 23 month old daughter who we don’t let watch tv, so my wife graciously watches her during day football games but I watch on taped delay a lot of basketball games) so follow the same rules below with a Caveat. I do wear GT gear. However, I very rarely go out after the game before watching it. I have watched many a game after our daughter is down for the night and I’ve finished work. I’m destroyed the next day, but better than ruining a game. They’re finite - and each one means more so I dislike spoiling them.
That said I always rock GT gear the day after a game. Win or lose, you either ride with the team or you’re just a spectator.

ETA - not calling you two out for not wearing the gear to avoid the subject. Just saying once I know the outcome I still rock the white and gold.
I cannot check or use my phone until I've watched all 60 minutes. Sometimes that lasts until Sunday evening in extreme circumstances. If I'm required to be out and about I will strategically not wear GT gear nor mention my fandom so as to avoid someone unintentionally spoiling the outcome. If someone opens their mouth and starts down that path, you'll see a grown man act like a toddler, cover their ears and start singing "La la la la la la" to cover all surrounding noise.
I do the same things (including the "la la la la" 🤣)! I even get irritated with my wife and family if they mention that they saw the score cause i can usually tell the results by the tone of their voice.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Maybe about how he plans to work in a new QB instead of saying they all look good like he said last year. Talk about how he can create pressure with exotic blitz instead of we got bigger on the DL. I mean just talk football for once, not program building.

Name one coach who gives this info out?. I’ve never met a CEO or execs who wasn’t a walking billboard.

Imagine a coach actually giving the gameplan away as if only GT fans are listening

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Name one coach who gives this info out?. I’ve never met a CEO or execs who wasn’t a walking billboard.

Imagine a coach actually giving the gameplan away as if only GT fans are listening
Not asking to give away game plan, but when asked about QBs why not say how they’ve worked in an offense for their skill set instead of how we recruited the top 2 QBs. I just want some football talk every once in awhile. Paul would talk about why he called what play all the time.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Not asking to give away game plan, but when asked about QBs why not say how they’ve worked in an offense for their skill set instead of how we recruited the top 2 QBs. I just want some football talk every once in awhile. Paul would talk about why he called what play all the time.
I think it’s perfectly reasonable to expect football talk in postgame interviews/press conferences. But I really don’t think it’s a big deal at all for the HC to not even mention X’s and O’s in mid week press releases. Hardly any HC mentions anything about game planning, or which players will get the majority of snaps in press conferences leading up to games. Watch Nick Saban, he’ll tell you to ask a Coke bottle for information on his QB’s before he gives any information away.

I just don’t see why people care about these interviews and press conferences so much. They’re boring, there’s almost never anything of substance in any of them, regardless of who the coach is. They only serve the purpose of getting sound bytes and quotes so reporters can write articles about them, and social media sites can throw up quick audio/video bytes. About the best thing you’ll get from any HC post-game follows a pretty universal formula:
“I thought we did X really well today.”
“We need to improve at X because our performance there wasn’t up to par”
“X player looked really good out there today”
“The other team was doing X well, so we made X adjustment to try to counter them.”

After a win: “Big win for us today. We’re going to go into next week’s practices with momentum and continue to build on our performance from today.”
After a loss: “Tough loss out there for us today. We’re going to right the ship at practice next week, and be ready to go next Saturday.”

I 100% agree that GC didn’t comment on the games a lot in his post game press conferences last year, but there weren’t a whole lot of positives for him to comment on. And some people would s**t on him just as much if he brought up multiple positives in a game Tech lost as they would if he didn’t say anything at all. But in reality, WGAS what any coach says in a press conference.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I think it’s perfectly reasonable to expect football talk in postgame interviews/press conferences. But I really don’t think it’s a big deal at all for the HC to not even mention X’s and O’s in mid week press releases. Hardly any HC mentions anything about game planning, or which players will get the majority of snaps in press conferences leading up to games. Watch Nick Saban, he’ll tell you to ask a Coke bottle for information on his QB’s before he gives any information away.

I just don’t see why people care about these interviews and press conferences so much. They’re boring, there’s almost never anything of substance in any of them, regardless of who the coach is. They only serve the purpose of getting sound bytes and quotes so reporters can write articles about them, and social media sites can throw up quick audio/video bytes. About the best thing you’ll get from any HC post-game follows a pretty universal formula:
“I thought we did X really well today.”
“We need to improve at X because our performance there wasn’t up to par”
“X player looked really good out there today”
“The other team was doing X well, so we made X adjustment to try to counter them.”

After a win: “Big win for us today. We’re going to go into next week’s practices with momentum and continue to build on our performance from today.”
After a loss: “Tough loss out there for us today. We’re going to right the ship at practice next week, and be ready to go next Saturday.”

I 100% agree that GC didn’t comment on the games a lot in his post game press conferences last year, but there weren’t a whole lot of positives for him to comment on. And some people would s**t on him just as much if he brought up multiple positives in a game Tech lost as they would if he didn’t say anything at all. But in reality, WGAS what any coach says in a press conference.
I picked a bad example just singling out just the coaches show. Like you said it’s more bigger picture and all his interviews in general.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer

What I love about GC is that he uses those as opportunities to praise his players and coaches. And he generally owns the mistakes personally. As a leader it's really important to be the owner of the failures and be very proud of the team's successes. I think if he can continue to do that these players and coaches will go to war for him. I like that he takes a mostly useless press conference and finds a way to twist it into something useful other than pi**ing off the press (which I do, by the way, find personally very satisfying but not real smart.) I wish he'd talk a bit less about recruiting, as it makes his press conferences seem like ads. But if he could continue to focus on praising his players then I'm all for it!