We need our thing

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Lest we forget y'all (especially you younguns). we do have a thing already!!! It's following the Reck onto the field to the tune of IAARWFGT. It's iconc and traditional. The last 10 years or so of ****** football has diluted maybe its impact or import but it is as well known to cfb fans as Enter Sandman or any other. AS you say in the OP, our entrance will look a helluva lot better when we are a consistent top 25 team. As will our uniforms, stadium, cheerleaders and the fans sitting next to us. The bathrooms won't smell as bad and noon kickoffs will become less of an irritant. The cokes sold in concession as well as the hot dogs will be more delicious. Andy D. will be likened unto Wes and Al C. Concerns over postseason failures and poor pitching on the baseball field will diminish. I will smile and willingly fork over my cash for GT gear in navy and gray. We will embrace (finally) that all who are admitted into Ma Tech will leave with their GT diplomas. We won't care who amongst voted for the other evil party. Crying babies on flights will be seen as a gentle reminder of our time as young fathers and mothers as opposed to just a giant pain in the ***. Tithing will increase amongst the GT faithful as we no longer feel abandoned by the God or gods of our faith. The gold and white faithful will become the single largest market for Girl Scout cookies as well as the biggest adopters of cats and dogs in local animal shelters. All of course imo. I think I am right but very well could be wrong here.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I was thinking this as well when I opened this thread. This used to play on the video board at BDS in 2011 and probably could be considered the colloquial end of All the Way Turnt Up. Need to bring back the night game seizure flashing graphics when opponents are driving towards the South end zone :ROFLMAO: I believe UVA still does that on defense for basketball games.

One other thing - that VT entrance lives up to the hype and then some live but it's not just Enter Sandman. The entrance ritual begins a few minutes before Enter Sandman with this steady but driving clapping beat from God's Gonna Cut You Down by Johnny Cash. Then it fades out, and they start a stadium wide "LET'S GOOOOOO....HOOOOKIEEEEES" call and response, and then the opening guitar riff to Enter Sandman kicks in and the place releases its several minute build into full mayhem. It's really well chained together - chill inducing college football perfection. Every college football fan should experience it as a bucket list item.

Thanks for this. Disclaimer: it’s unfortunately been years since I’ve been to a Tech game, so I’m not sure exactly what the build-up routine is or has been since the late 90’s. Last game I saw was in 2015.

That being said, I don’t think you can understate the importance of the build-up. I’ve seen it in multiple other stadiums. As you mentioned, VT’s walk-on is not just Enter Sandman - it’s the build-up to that.

Nebraska’s whole “thing” is the build-up - they do a tunnel walk to the field to the Alan Parsons Project song “Sirius”. The song stops when the players run onto the field and the stadium erupts in cheers.

But like VT, it all starts before that. As the pre-game activities continue, suddenly things get quiet. The video screen goes black. The cheerleaders start leading the call and response of “Husker! Power!” Then 2 short fireworks bursts pop off, and a hype video starts (different for each game). That builds things up, to a couple more fireworks…then the screen goes black and the tunnel walk starts. It builds until the team gets to the field, then the team runs out to the marching band playing their fight song.

As someone who spent a lot of time in music, watching it is an experience of dynamic contrast, a crescendo building slowly, with peaks and valleys - and it just work. It’s tough not to feel excited when you see the team leave the locker room and start walking your way - even as someone who married into the fanbase. :)

All of that is to say, I do think the build is just as if not more important than what happens as the team takes the field. I’d love to see that sort of sound design implemented at Tech* - it would only enhance the experience, IMO, and get the team and the audience more hyped up to have an audio tradition that lasts over time.

The best way to develop that is to try different things, until something works - then start iterating on it. Hopefully those of you who are there can let those of us who are far away know what happens - these are the things you don’t see on the TV broadcast.

*As long as whatever we choose doesn’t involve the players rapping or singing. Good god, that bit with the off-key tune and the Jackets singing along from the Jumbotron about 10 years ago made me weep for the lack pitch from both our team and the recording artists. They still play the tune, I believe, minus the Jacket participation, but thankfully I’m not around to hear it. #getoffmylawn

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Change pace with me for a second.
You know how VT has enter sandman, Bama has Dixieland delight, Wisconsin jump around, Michigan Mr. Brightside. In 4 years when Tech is preseason top 25 and Bobby Dodd is filled back up, i wish we had something like that. Yes we do have Budweiser, and it’s awesome, but for something more. What are some yalls ideas for a song or chant or something. I’m liking the idea of Ramblin man by the Allman Brothers (song about Georgia and you know our whole ramble thing) but I’m not sure it’s hype enough for a stadium entrance. Maybe something by OutKast? Atliens?(André 3000 is a fan) idk. Thought it would be a fun ask.
William Tell overture there are several versions including some with metal and lone ranger

Last edited:

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Zombie nation tech football history was what made games special to me growing up.

I didn’t know the history of Tech football, but getting a glimpse of it gave me goosebumps every time.

I was born years after our national championship, but to hear people cheer when “1990 national champions” rolled across the screen, knowing they were likely fans at that time, was always a crazy feeling.

Now I love Tech history. And the idea that we’re currently making it. I recently got a custom embroidered shirt for my dad that says “I was there for the option” because it was our favorite thing to watch in football.

I hope Tech’s rich history is continuously glorified. As time goes on and I lose my voice cussing at refs more and more, it feels like a part of my history. And I’m into that.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
NM - ACC Network posted a clip from media week about VT's entrance but removed it shortly after. I will share if it gets reposted.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for this. Disclaimer: it’s unfortunately been years since I’ve been to a Tech game, so I’m not sure exactly what the build-up routine is or has been since the late 90’s. Last game I saw was in 2015.

That being said, I don’t think you can understate the importance of the build-up. I’ve seen it in multiple other stadiums. As you mentioned, VT’s walk-on is not just Enter Sandman - it’s the build-up to that.

I'm sure NIL is the biggest factor in recruiting these days but Pry says that players want to play in front of excited, packed stadiums, so you get better talent when you have more fans. And when they sprint out to a full, hyped stadium, the extra adrenaline makes them hit a little harder, shove the other lineman harder, and run a little faster. Different sport but we basically saw this all basketball season where our men's team would come out super flat and lose games they shouldn't when McCamish was sleepy. When Duke and UNC fans packed the arena and the building had a really competitive edge to it, they played the highest effort defense we had seen all season. An environment-induced technical on Mark Mitchell legit probably won the Duke game for us.

Last edited:

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Some progress was made last year, but I have long been on record in favor of upgrading the team entrance. The Wreck is iconic leading the players out of the tunnel, but that's all we have right now. Something that gets the whole place rocking is needed.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Some progress was made last year, but I have long been on record in favor of upgrading the team entrance. The Wreck is iconic leading the players out of the tunnel, but that's all we have right now. Something that gets the whole place rocking is needed.
1. Maybe band can be on field at half time and not pre game if Major change.

2. Mini Drone performance? Follow.wrek then some fly around and go to hive in southwest corner of end zone. Drone and Buzz pal around = camera displayed on jumbo Tron. All accomplished by gt students. Could be out during player warm up. I suggested this 4 years ago.
3 Atlanta music scene. Kids loved Ludicrous. We are where we are so go with it.
Good luck getting any traction

Last edited:

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Add a guitar playing robot that shreds the fight song on the last verse as the band plays. The robot can also play other things instead of canned music its the robot playing covers of things. IT woudl eb the most us thing ever.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Lol y’all are funny. The team literally follows a 100 year old car on to the field. That’s uniquely “our thing”. Nobody else does anything like that. It’s so much “our thing” that the new college football game promoted it as being one of the traditions they took the time to add in.

The entrance isn’t the problem. The problem is the fact that our 55,000 seat stadium rarely has 30,000 people in it by the time the team comes out onto the field. If there ever is more than 30k in the stadium when the teams run on the field, a large portion of them are wearing the other team’s colors.

Our entrance vs. UNC gets featured in this video. at the 5:05 mark. The biggest difference between ours and the other schools featured here is literally just the fans. Ours is the only one that’s not close to being full. Literally just fill BDS with Tech fans, and the Jackets following the Reck onto the field is as good as anything in college football. It’s about the atmosphere in the building. You can play the most hype song, have the best pregame hype video, the coolest LED lights, smoke and fire, etc. but if the stadium isn’t full of the home team’s fans it doesn’t matter. On the flip side, teams have been running out of the tunnel to raucous crowds and electric atmospheres for decades before flashing LED lights and piped in music became a staple in stadiums.

The fans create the atmosphere. The team gives the fans a reason to be there. Better the team: better the fans

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Why? It's the Yellow Jacket Marching Band playing IARWFGT, and it's uniquely "our thing". I really don't get this at all. It's a great tradition, but it seems tradition doesn't count for spit anymore.
Bring on more canned muzak. Sheesh.
Just trying to respect the thread - idea we need to discuss "our thing".

I love the band too, but thought thier could be some change.

Last time we talked it was how to get more ENERGY AT BDS BEFORE GAME ( we are driving to Blacksburg to see sandman entrance)

(Imo, The greatest gt band performance was post 2009 Vt homecoming game when gt beat #3 vt. At the end of game the band ON ALOOP played Ramblin Wrek till the students tore down the goal posts. We were there and AT Every game I thank 1 or 2 band members for that legendary moment. )

I was never asking for canned music.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Lol y’all are funny. The team literally follows a 100 year old car on to the field. That’s uniquely “our thing”. Nobody else does anything like that. It’s so much “our thing” that the new college football game promoted it as being one of the traditions they took the time to add in.

The entrance isn’t the problem. The problem is the fact that our 55,000 seat stadium rarely has 30,000 people in it by the time the team comes out onto the field. If there ever is more than 30k in the stadium when the teams run on the field, a large portion of them are wearing the other team’s colors.

Our entrance vs. UNC gets featured in this video. at the 5:05 mark. The biggest difference between ours and the other schools featured here is literally just the fans. Ours is the only one that’s not close to being full. Literally just fill BDS with Tech fans, and the Jackets following the Reck onto the field is as good as anything in college football. It’s about the atmosphere in the building. You can play the most hype song, have the best pregame hype video, the coolest LED lights, smoke and fire, etc. but if the stadium isn’t full of the home team’s fans it doesn’t matter. On the flip side, teams have been running out of the tunnel to raucous crowds and electric atmospheres for decades before flashing LED lights and piped in music became a staple in stadiums.

The fans create the atmosphere. The team gives the fans a reason to be there. Better the team: better the fans

So how do we get folks in stands early? Ludicrous?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm in a tiny minority I know, but what I want to hear before, during, and after the game is the Yellow Jacket Marching Band. Lots of great tunes they could be playing. Dixieland jazz comes to mind.
In this day and age of over-amped, piped-in music, maybe that could be "our thing".
Yep. I don't really mind the pumped in music at the start of the game, but afterwards all it does is drown out the band. We have the best fight song in the country - nay, the galaxy - and we need to lead with that then use White and Gold. Also, have a piece of band music - Budwieser (and why haven't they used that in a commercial?) - that everybody likes. It would be great if we could another band piece that would work. But I don't know what it might be.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
So how do we get folks in stands early? Ludicrous?
Just win baby!

UGA has no problem getting folks to their seats for the team’s entrance. Hell, a lot of the last few COFH games in BDS have been a sea of red mixed with empty seats when the Reck comes out of the tunnel. Put a team on the field that fans want to support and create a good atmosphere for. Yeah, the lights and flare helps build excitement, but even Enter Sandman falls flat when VT is 3-6 about to play a 4-4 Wake Forest team

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Just win baby!

UGA has no problem getting folks to their seats for the team’s entrance. Hell, a lot of the last few COFH games in BDS have been a sea of red mixed with empty seats when the Reck comes out of the tunnel. Put a team on the field that fans want to support and create a good atmosphere for. Yeah, the lights and flare helps build excitement, but even Enter Sandman falls flat when VT is 3-6 about to play a 4-4 Wake Forest team
I'll have to disagree here. VT was 2-6 when I went to Lane Stadium and the stands were packed when Enter Sandman came on and the place was still rocking. It's just such a good entrance that people who approach gamedays more as social events and aren't even big into the actual result make it a point to be in the stadium for it.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I'll have to disagree here. VT was 2-6 when I went to Lane Stadium and the stands were packed when Enter Sandman came on and the place was still rocking. It's just such a good entrance that people who approach gamedays more as social events and aren't even big into the actual result make it a point to be in the stadium for it.
What else can you do in Blacksburg? Took my youngest son there on his prospective college tour. The main thing they raved about was their food. Thought that a little odd. I did work with a couple of VT engineers that were excellent technically. No complaints with the EE grads I worked with.

GTRules

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm in a tiny minority I know, but what I want to hear before, during, and after the game is the Yellow Jacket Marching Band. Lots of great tunes they could be playing. Dixieland jazz comes to mind.
In this day and age of over-amped, piped-in music, maybe that could be "our thing".
I'll go for that, Stop the piped in garbage.

And have my son fly his F-18 low over the stadium before the game.