We lost a true Jacket fan this week ...

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Please indulge me ...

My dad has passed from this life having experienced 83 years, 2 months and 22 days. His last few minutes were spent with me and my best friend at his bedside. It would be impossible to relate the rich and deep textures woven into the fabric of his person and legacy. Nonetheless, I wanted to write down some thoughts in an attempt to remind me and perhaps others of some things about him; to extend greater insight for some, and for those who might not have known him, to introduce my dad. Thank you to so many who have been praying for us, comforting us with words and acts of service. God is working through you and we are thankful.

It is so very interesting to me to contemplate how we enter the world completely helpless into a complex sea of personalities and relationships that influence and shape our direction. Then, at the end of our lives if a natural course occurs, we exit completely helpless and leave a completely different group of people than we started with. Those who welcomed my dad into this world have long since gone on. Only a few who really impacted his early life remain. But the influences of those who welcomed him do remain because their influences, decisions, sacrifices and wisdom were infused into his life. As he welcomed us into this world or into his sphere of influence, his experiences have been infused into who we are becoming.

My dad was born on Saturday, November 28th, 1936. He was an American through-and-through having drawn his first breath at Grady Hospital in Atlanta. He was the second of five children born to parents who were both Georgian by birth (Gwinnett County and Dooly County respectively). His father and paternal grandfather were born in Gwinnett. His paternal great-grandfather immigrated to Georgia from the upstate of South Carolina and all three have there remains buried in Gwinnett County. Several generations prior, he had four family members who fought in the Revolutionary War that were also present in Yorktown with General Washington.

My dad grew up in the first public housing project in the United States which was located in Atlanta. Techwood homes as it’s name implies bordered the campus of the Georgia Institute of Technology. His parents raised five children in Atlanta at the heart of the 20th century and neither of them ever obtained a driver’s license or owned their own car. He experienced scarcity and rationing at a time of great turmoil. He experienced what we might call poverty but he and his were actually quite rich. He rode bikes with his brothers to Piedmont Park and explored forested “cliffs” in and around what is now a 12 lane interstate. He also played for the Techwood Tigers.

My dad was a life-long fan of anything and everything to do with Georgia Tech. He was a Ramblin Wreck and saw being a “Tech man” as an ideal. The proximity to campus made the Tech campus a veritable playground. During fall afternoons following school, he and his buddies would wait just outside the gate at Rose Bowl field and hitch rides on the shoulders of the players and sometimes coaches back to the locker room. These men were their heros. On Friday nights after dark, they would often sneak into Grant Field and play football under moonlight skies and freshly cut and chalked grass. On gamedays, he sold peanuts and collected Coca-Cola bottles to have pocket money. There is on legendary story of a chain-cutter and parking cars on Rose Bowl field one day but I will leave that for another time.

My dad loved the Yellow Jackets! That was a big part of his life all the way to the final week. He was a “sidewalk” fan in that he was not a graduate. His love for Tech sports was infused into me as his son and that has been passed down to my son and we are already working on the next generation with all four of his great-grandchildren wearing gold capes at a game together this past season. Many years ago, he would set up shop at the local Waffle House as the nearby picture attests. He was ahead of his time and was excited about the new direction on the Flats #404theculture #gtfootball.

Dad%20-%20Waffle%20House.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w198xnva684er5q/Dad - Waffle House.jpg?dl=0

My dad was proud of his siblings. His older brother was both an O’Keefe and Georgia Tech graduate and played baseball. He played at an all-star level playing at Ponce De Leon Park. The family often watched games on Sunday afternoons with the minor league team that was in Atlanta during those years. His family moved to the suburbs of East Point as he began high school. He was the first of four siblings to play basketball as Russell Wildcats. His two younger brothers played in college and one was a key part of a State Championship team at Russell. His only sister was named Atlanta Tip-Off Club player of the year while in High School.

My dad was known as “little Eddie” by many growing up. He was 5’8” and less than 130 lbs if he was soaking wet at aged 18. Over the next several years, he transformed his body into a powerful instrument that served him well for the next 60 years. He added 60 pounds of muscle during that time and his muscles and bones were hardened and super-strong. The transformation began in part with a broomstick and buckets of sand which exemplify his resourcefulness and passion. He could perform hand-stands with one hand and climb stairs walking on his hands. Even in his late 60's, he remained limber and very strong physically.

My dad wanted to attend Georgia Tech but learned after graduating from High School that it costs money to attend college. He took a job with the City of Atlanta and worked in the Roads Department as part of their field survey team. He and his colleagues helped lay out new streets and infrastructure in the developing city. As he progressed, he took several classes at Georgia Tech to prepare him for several engineering certifications. Later he enlisted in the Army and completed boot camp at Fort Jackson and served the remainder of his brief active duty stint at Fort Leonard Wood followed by a number of years in the Army Reserves.

There is alot more I could share but space and time will limit this. In the end ...

My dad is. He is because of God’s immutable promised and character. He is because my dad was obedient and walked in the light (John 3:36; John 14:15; 1 John 1:7-10). His presence will remain through his influence while those who knew him continue to remember and draw inspiration from his life. He wants you to enjoy the peace he is now experiencing.

My dad is, and I look forward to seeing him again for one very long day.

What an amazing tribute to your Dad.

BufordBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
Thank you all for your encouraging words and prayers! There is not much better this side of heaven imo than a swarm of Yellow Jackets united in mission and purpose. Here is the remainder of the tribute that I had to break into two parts ... a little homage to Paul Harvey's the "rest of the story" ...

My dad was set up on a blind date in late 1958 by his friend and boss at the time. He fell in love with that country girl from Barnesville but had to leave to complete his service commitment. There is an old phrase that says “absence makes the heart grow fonder.” I grew up hearing that phrase repeated. It was during this six months of separation that 60 letter volleys were completed between my dad and the love of his life. I am thankful that I still have those letters. My mom and dad were married for 49 years, 6 months and 10 days. They truly loved each other and cared for each other is very special ways. They were a great team and he missed her over the past nearly 11 years.

My dad loved his family. As a young couple, they wanted children and lost four to miscarriages. My mother was a modern-day Hannah wanting children so badly and asked God earnestly to bless them. Prior to my premature birth, my mother was bedridden for almost 3 months. With the help of extended family and my mother’s grit, he cared and provided for her during that time. I owe my very life to that care. Later, they adopted a beautiful baby girl and brought her home from the hospital to be added to our family. In later years, both mothers lived with my mom and dad receiving care and honor in their final time. My dad loved his grandchildren and supported them in many activities. He also loved his great-grandchildren and was so proud of his family’s successes.

My dad loved people and was an accomplished sales professional. He was involved in several entrepreneurial adventures with family members. The last one was a dry-cleaning pick-up and delivery service called USA-Valet. After my mother’s passed, he made the decision to enroll in a prestigious institute of higher learning and began to learn the finer points of Christmas cheer. He became a professional helper of the jolly old elf himself and offered his services to commercial enterprises as well as charitable causes. He loved his church family and was so appreciative of the kind words, hugs, calls, cards and acts of service that he benefited from. We cannot begin to thank all who encouraged him and especially since my mother passed.

My dad wasn’t perfect but he was resilient. He smoked for over 50 years and tried to quit many times during that period. After his 78th birthday, he quit. We often spoke about that life achievement and laughed that he was no “old dog” because he could change. He had both knees replaced in his mid 50s. He rehabbed into shape at warp speed and lamented the fact that he has not done that much earlier. He suffered multiple falls and never broke a bone to my knowledge. That said, he did have a number of spine related issues due in part to the rigorous weight lifting he participated in as a younger man. He had lumber surgery, fused vertebrae and surgery to correct spinal stenosis. He was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lymphoma in the spring of 2017 and the Chemo treatments prescribed were effective in riding his body of that cancer.

My dad suffered with mental health issues for over 50 years. There were months-long stays in hospitals to receive treatment, and there were deep and long bouts with severe depression. There were complex medicinal cocktails administered with some level of trial-and-error to help stabilize and sustain his mental state. He suffered but he also helped educate and encourage others. In some cases, those who helped were dealing with things on their own. In other situations, he was offering help to family members and friends in finding perspective and hope. He often used his own experiences and referenced God’s hand in his own journey.

My dad suffered with pain, loss, disappointment, unfulfilled desires, embarrassment, bankruptcy, tragedy, separation and heartache. But he pushed through these. Others likely experienced some of these things with contribution from my father’s actions or lack thereof. But again, he pushed through these and pursued peace and forgiveness.

My dad had a profoundly positive attitude and outlook over the past decade. He was patient with me and was gracious in so many ways in how he saw events and his place in them. Having to give up driving, using a walker and eventually a wheelchair, moving into our home, receiving difficult news about his health and many other related challenges were seemingly no big deal. At one time in his life, I think they would have been but God was preparing him all along the way. And I see more clearly now that God is preparing me for bigger and better things (2 Corinthians 4:17). And all because of my Dad.

Go Jackets!

BufordBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
A self-made man, experienced and eloquently told by his loving son. Prayers going out for your family, @BufordBuzz .

My stepdad lived on Cherry St. He was about 13 years older than your father. He told me about Boys H.S. and selling Hershey Bars for a nickel each before the games. Tried to find a well dressed couple to sneak into the stadium with, posing as their child or fit in under the gate when he was very young. His dad passed when he was only 9 y.o., so I think it was important for him to try and make a difference in our lives. He didn’t finish 8th grade and times were different back then. He went on to own three furniture stores and become Al Ciraldo’s first sponsor, so Tech would hire him.

Awesome! We are standing on the shoulders of others and their decisions/consequences make an impact.

BufordBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
Thank you for taking the time to type all this out. I read every word of it.

My Dad was an abusive alcoholic who mistreated my Mom, us kids, and darn near everyone who crossed paths with him in life. You are blessed to have such a great, kind, passionate role model. I hope all of these great memories and thoughts you have gone through help you and your family find some peace and comfort during this time.

Take care!

Thank you for sharing! I am sorry to hear about your past. It sounds like as an adult, you were able to make the choice to break the cycle and not be a victim. God bless you and yours in your continuing journey. Your story is an inspiration!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Please forgive this interruption after “the rest of the story,” I had to replace my box of Kleenex tissues. Incredible! You have one sensational family. Will stay in my prayers.

When I think of the dysfunction in my biological family, which included my mom divorcing six times before I was a teenager, I’m glowing as a witness to your journey.

I sure wish you will post more whenever you can find the time for us @BufordBuzz , and as soon as your heart heals enough. Please DM me, if there is anything I can do to help. Also, @Tech Lawyer -welcome, and hope we can have you during better times to come.

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
My condolences to you and your family. Take heart in the promises of the Savior and the fact that you will be reunited with him again someday. My father is 6 years older than your dad was and I am facing a similar loss in the not to distant future. I love to remember the strength of character he has shared with us our the past decades. Be blessed and Go Jackets!