We knew him all too well...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I have more than fond memories of this kid, who by happenstance gave Tech fans one of our greatest memories, two in fact because at the end of the great blocked kick return to beat FSU, he was spun off the returner like a rag doll ... and just a week before said he would never miss an open field tackle. What surprises me in this story is that 71% success rate over 40 yards. I would have sworn, just on reputation, that it was a lot better.

Another sobering reminder of the fate of kickers in the NFL.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/08/14/tampa-bay-buccaneers-roberto-aguayo-jason-licht-draft-bust-nfl

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I have more than fond memories of this kid, who by happenstance gave Tech fans one of our greatest memories, two in fact because at the end of the great blocked kick return to beat FSU, he was spun off the returner like a rag doll ... and just a week before said he would never miss an open field tackle. What surprises me in this story is that 71% success rate over 40 yards. I would have sworn, just on reputation, that it was a lot better.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/08/14/tampa-bay-buccaneers-roberto-aguayo-jason-licht-draft-bust-nfl

He was psychologically broken after that play....never the same after it.:ROFLMAO:

northgajacket

Banned

Sounds like his arrogance was his downfall.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
No lie. In our game against him, I was watching their sideline. Dude did not warm up before the kick. I'm sure he thought he had it in the bag.
Now, that is amazing. Now we know two things. He didn't practice tackling either, for which Austin is thankful. But that is a humbling job. I once knew a not-very-good and not-very-long NFL kicker, only slightly, and he said missing a kick was like going to your own funeral, made worse by so many teammates almost violently angry when he missed a kick to lose a game. Apparently that "team" thing does not permeate the NFL.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
True, but this guy sure seemed full of himself. He was also quoted as saying that NFL field goals would be easier than college.
Well he wasn't wrong about that. NFL are "easier" because of the hashes, which are closer together, meaning less angle.

Arrogance? I didn't get that as a take-away. When a kicker falls down, it's most likely because of a bad leg.
For kickers, it's usually never the leg, especially in the NFL. It's all between the ears.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
I can find the link if y'all want but there was an article floating on Reddit yesterday that showed how coaches have changed mechanics and the effect that it hasn't had on him. Aguayo struggles from the opposite hash most right footed kickers do, and coaches in the NFL over compensated that motion and he lost the groove he found in college. Getting drafted in the second round was way too high for how he did his last two years (esp from 40+) but I'm excited to see how he does with my bears up in Chicago with a lot less pressure as they claimed him off waivers almost instantly

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I can find the link if y'all want but there was an article floating on Reddit yesterday that showed how coaches have changed mechanics and the effect that it hasn't had on him. Aguayo struggles from the opposite hash most right footed kickers do, and coaches in the NFL over compensated that motion and he lost the groove he found in college. Getting drafted in the second round was way too high for how he did his last two years (esp from 40+) but I'm excited to see how he does with my bears up in Chicago with a lot less pressure as they claimed him off waivers almost instantly

Everyone deserves a second chance. He just might become a better person and kicker after this experience. You just never know. I think it was a good move by the Bears.

northgajacket

Banned
Well he wasn't wrong about that. NFL are "easier" because of the hashes, which are closer together, meaning less angle.

For kickers, it's usually never the leg, especially in the NFL. It's all between the ears.

My assumption about him though is he probably didn't practice as much as he should or listen to the coaches.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think he was sort of like Johnny Football in college. Manzell was unstoppable at TAM and I thought he'd be pretty good in the pros. He had the arm and the running ability. But he didn't actually think he had much to learn so he didn't. Can't blame him. He made his rep on broken plays and options; the playbook simply wasn't that important. Problem = they don't run options very much on most pro teams and you get paid not to have broken plays. Also, the speed that made him so dangerous wasn't an advantage in the pros; they're all fast enough to catch him. So … he failed at his big chance.

I think Aguayo thought that kicking in the pros wasn't any different and that he could keep doing what he had been doing, just like Manzell. (I can't say I think that's wrong, btw; there isn't much difference.) The problem is that in the pros you are paid to make kicks. That means that if you start to miss you end up thinking that your chance to make the money that will sustain you and your family could go up in smoke. So you start thinking too much and you get into trouble. The more you miss, the worse it gets. And there's none of this "Let's sit him down a game and let him get back on track" stuff like in college.

He's got the talent, if he's willing to calm down and learn. I hope this isn't the end of the road for him as well.