" We are gonnna run the ball." Paul Johnson

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
So what work on the running game more than we have in the past? Because that much work didn't prevent the ND game from happening. And it hasn't prevented the games like it that happen every year. Making the running game better doesn't help in those cases that the running game isn't working. And unfortunately those games don't look like they are going away.

If your definition of a good system is that it must win every game every year regardless of talent, I think we have a gap in our discussion. 99+% of teams lose at least one game a year. In some years, no team in the country goes undefeated. To conclude that our system does not work because we do not win every single game is a fallacy in logic.

We have lost at least one "ND type game" in almost every single season in the history of GT football, running all kinds of systems, including those based largely on passing. In the modern era, we have only gone undefeated once, and still managed to lay a stinker to UNC in the tie. With the talent we have, we could have the most perfect system in the world and we would still be unable to "prevent a ND type game from happening" virtually every season. Heck, even if we had the best talent and the best scheme in the world, teams still have days where they are off, have some bad breaks, don't execute, etc. and still cannot "prevent ND type games from happening." I just think our focus on the run gives us the best chance to win, and I don't agree changing our scheme to develop more passing at the expense of trying to perfect the running game will help us get there. When we execute the run scheme well, we have a chance to win every single individual game we play in. That is really all you can ask out of a scheme.

I think if we played ND at the end of last year, or maybe even at the end of this year, we might win. Last week was just not our week. ND played well. We did not. That just happens sometimes. That is not a basis to conclude that the system doesn't work.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think the coach's show always ends with CPJ being asked for the keys to the game. This past week, I think they just were running out of time, and so he said, "We're going to run the ball" etc.

I think the keys of the game question typically evokes from coaches some specifics with respect to the up-coming opponents, but I think CPJ doesn't like getting into specifics so he says the keys are pretty much the same every week.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. And we were not doing that (executing) Saturday at ND.
Because there were big/fast/strong bodies stopping us.

There are two kinds of "not executing."

One is mental the other is physical.
One is brain farts that have nothing to do with the opposition.
The other is due to being beaten by the guy across the LOS. We had both kinds last Saturday.

There is actually a third kind that has to do with lack of effort. We had very few of those, but we did have some. Some of those are due to exhaustion, others are due to demoralization and still others are due to plain ol' laziness.

Declinometer

Banned

The other is due to being beaten by the guy across the LOS. We had both kinds last Saturday.

There is actually a third kind that has to do with lack of effort. We had very few of those, but we did have some. Some of those are due to exhaustion, others are due to demoralization and still others are due to plain ol' laziness.
Do y'all think Paul was sending a message to FB when he pulled him late in the game. Apparently he's not injured.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
If your definition of a good system is that it must win every game every year regardless of talent, I think we have a gap in our discussion. 99+% of teams lose at least one game a year. In some years, no team in the country goes undefeated. To conclude that our system does not work because we do not win every single game is a fallacy in logic.

We have lost at least one "ND type game" in almost every single season in the history of GT football, running all kinds of systems, including those based largely on passing. In the modern era, we have only gone undefeated once, and still managed to lay a stinker to UNC in the tie. With the talent we have, we could have the most perfect system in the world and we would still be unable to "prevent a ND type game from happening" virtually every season. Heck, even if we had the best talent and the best scheme in the world, teams still have days where they are off, have some bad breaks, don't execute, etc. and still cannot "prevent ND type games from happening." I just think our focus on the run gives us the best chance to win, and I don't agree changing our scheme to develop more passing at the expense of trying to perfect the running game will help us get there. When we execute the run scheme well, we have a chance to win every single individual game we play in. That is really all you can ask out of a scheme.

I think if we played ND at the end of last year, or maybe even at the end of this year, we might win. Last week was just not our week. ND played well. We did not. That just happens sometimes. That is not a basis to conclude that the system doesn't work.

Man, I think you hit the nail on the head. Winning every game requires a team be much better than its competition AND very lucky. If a team was good enough to be 90% likely to win every game, their expected value of losses is still one, and no team will be 90% to win every game they play a year. Teams have bad games throughout the year you just need to have luck on your side to get you through the hard times. It seemed to me we didn't have the ball bounce our way last week on top of not playing 100%.. Ohio State lost to VT last year and won a NC. We lost to a top 25 team on the road. It's not all bad.

4NatlChmps

Jolly Good Fellow
Man, I think you hit the nail on the head. Winning every game requires a team be much better than its competition AND very lucky. If a team was good enough to be 90% likely to win every game, their expected value of losses is still one, and no team will be 90% to win every game they play a year. Teams have bad games throughout the year you just need to have luck on your side to get you through the hard times. It seemed to me we didn't have the ball bounce our way last week on top of not playing 100%.. Ohio State lost to VT last year and won a NC. We lost to a top 25 team on the road. It's not all bad.
We lost to a top 8 team on road by only one touchdown

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer

IMO there is not a team in the country that we cannot execute this offense against. It can be done.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
So let me make sure what I am reading hereabouts. After three games in a season after finishing 11-3 with an Orange Bowl win -- the "major bowl win" fans had been clamoring for -- posters redirect said clamor to a) offensive strategy: More tight ends! At least one tight end! Why can't we have a tight end?) b) who will play what position and when, c) the old standby resurrected from the ashes, We got to throw the ball more! Throw when they don't expect it! Throw the ball shorter! Just throw the damn ball! d) I got this guy who will win the Heisman, or something but GT isn't even recruiting him. What is the matter with these people. I can make Johnson a star!

The more patient among us have to endeavor to persevere, knowing all this will pass with a win at Duke. Unless, of course, Thomas throws a TD pass which to them will prove their point, completes a pass to a tackle eligible, ditto, or throws it 13 times, ditto squared or something. It is time for me to revisit the Alabama board. It is insane but they know it.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Just one more opinion from a non expert.

Our rushing game last year was the best rushing attack I have ever seen. That includes the great Nebraska teams, Hershell, Bo, Gurshell teams. Arguments can be made but we were truly stellar.

After watching replays from last year, I thought our passing attack had more problems than I realized watching things live. Even JT has a ton of room for improvement in this area and it showed last week also. This ain't a dig on him. I wouldn't trade him for any other QB in the country. But we have huge room for improvement. First thing to clean up is better routes by WRs. ND secondary is good but our subpar route running made them look a lot better than they are. If we do make a big improvement throwing....well that almost wouldn't be fair to the competition.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
CPJ: "We throw a lot of passes in practice."

I am not sure what else can be done at this point other than what we are already doing, which is spend a lot of time working on our passing game and spend a lot of time working on assignments and blocking in our run game. I am pretty confident that Tech will get better with each game. And there is no way I am going to let the third game of the season make me lose confidence in the entire offensive system.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm not saying we need to change practice routines or focus. Primarily guys just need to trust each other more. That plus gain more experience....we are very young at the skill positions. But even last year, with experienced WRs....we had protection breakdowns at times which led to JT being a bit unsettled in the pocket. JT's trust and comfort plus better routes by our current WRs can lead to big improvements IMO.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
[QUOTE="The more patient among us have to endeavor to persevere, knowing all this will pass with a win at Duke. Unless, of course, Thomas throws a TD pass which to them will prove their point, completes a pass to a tackle eligible, ditto, or throws it 13 times, ditto squared or something. It is time for me to revisit the Alabama board. It is insane but they know it.[/QUOTE]

Quotes from "The Outlaw Josie Wales" - like it!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
[QUOTE="The more patient among us have to endeavor to persevere, knowing all this will pass with a win at Duke. Unless, of course, Thomas throws a TD pass which to them will prove their point, completes a pass to a tackle eligible, ditto, or throws it 13 times, ditto squared or something. It is time for me to revisit the Alabama board. It is insane but they know it.

Quotes from "The Outlaw Josie Wales" - like it![/QUOTE]
Don't remember it in that movie, but from Lodgeskins in Little Big Man. One of the great and improbably movie scenes of all time. Talk about suspending disbelief...