Way too early attempt at Perspective.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
ND has got plenty of talent. But I've watched Kelly throughout his entire ND career and I just don't think he's all that and a bag of popcorn. They've recruited well but they ought to - they're Notre Dame and every game just about is on national TV, not some Fox regional directional outfit or available online only. How many coaches wouldn't mind having Prosise, Fuller and that OL and that front seven?

Maybe losing the likes of Days, Laskey, Nealy, Shaq, et al meant more than just stats.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Here are a few FACTS for you:

Tech had 337 yards of Total Offense (Notre Dame had 457 so our Defense didn't help out our Offense); we had 21 First Downs to their 17; and we won the Time of Possession with 32:52 to their 27:08. We had the one fumble lost and we recovered one fumble and intercepted one pass.

We missed two FG's that should have been made and had a TD run by Justin Thomas called back on a phantom holding call on Errin Joe. The refs also allowed the Notre Dame WR to push off on their 1st TD & ignored it. This game should have/could have been won with a bit of luck like we had the end of last season once we got rolling. Great learning experience for the young guys.

And for the record, Ohio State lost a game early to a NON-RANKED Virginia Tech and went on to win the National Championship.

Ohio State barely won their game against a horrible opponent (Northern Illinois); Alabama lost to Ole Miss, Southern Cal lost to Stanford who lost to Northwestern, Missouri barely beat UCONN, UCLA lost to BYU, and Clemson barely beat Louisville which lost to Houston.

Add all of that together and I suggest the SKY WASN'T FALLING.

Now I can't speak towards injuries. If, indeed, we suffered key injuries, then it could affect our prospects going forward. But before anyone starts to panic, I suggest catching your breath and appreciate the fact the team didn't quit even though they were so far behind a Top 10 Team at their house. Not only did they score points, they scored them quickly and put themselves into position they actually had a chance to tie the game had they recoved an onside kick. Kind of sounds like the ACC Championship game against FSU when they came back, scored to bring the game within 3 points and tried to recover an onside kick, doesn't it? These guys WON'T quit, so we shouldn't quit on them.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My perspective
1. Plain and simple - we got beat
2. OLine wasn't good but neither was Thomas with some of those crazy plays he tried late like his flip forward and on purpose fumble - don't do that JT
3. Defense better and encouraging but still gave up too many huge plays like long pass and 91 yard run. Can't let that happen. DJ White as usual was very good and others played tough.
4. Missed blocking abacks from last year and wide receivers.
5. Some of the calls didn't help like no call on ND defensive back against Marshall on missed FG drive early and the hold which brought back TD but knew some 0f that was going to happen and those were only two plays out of many and we got beat regardless - so "SO WHAT".
5. CPJ did not have a great day . Might could have taken some pressure off the aggressiveness of ND defense with some plays like pass to Skov outside if called earlier. Van Gorder beat him today with some defensive calls like overloading one side and then flowing to the counter. Plain and simple - Van Gorder outcoached him.
6. As far as ND,very good defense but their offense besides WR is not championship caliber. Their plays looked slow to develop.
7. Do still worry about recruiting. Hard to beat 4 and 5 star teams with 3 star players. Can sometimes but most times will lose.
8. Season not over by any means, lots of football to play but I do dread listening to UGA fans until they play Florida. One said to me yesterday "if Van Gorder had stayed at UGA they would have won 1 or 2 national championships." -UGHHHH!!!!! Do I really have to listen to that nonsense.!!!
9. Ignoring UGA - which isn't hard given all their talk is "if, ands, and buts" - this loss did hurt GT on a national press level and I knew a loss would. But a lot of teams are in same boat and just have to win ACC. This team can still be good if offense can get it going , and improvement on D was a bright note.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I think this is a game the team can build on. We played like we thought the ND defense was going to give us everything like Alcorn and Tulane did The new guys in the skill positions looked completely lost out there. It was a slap back to reality. I didn't see any fire or any attemp to attack. Everything looked slow and unenthusiastic. No sense of urgency until the last 2 min of the game. This game "I believe" will be a turning point in the season, albeit early, they can either get pissed off and play with that chip on there shoulder or they can put there heads down and pack it in. It's hard to tell how a group of 19-22 year olds handle a beating like that in a team sport but, I think I know which direction this will go and all I can say is I feel for Cuttcliff and Duke next Saturday. Just my 2 cents.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
If they get into the playoffs, they will be crushed, IMHO.
By who? The team that squeaked by Northern Illinois by 7, the team that gave up 28 points to Georgia State or the team that just lost a circle/revenge game at home to Mississippi?

My point being that its too early to read anything into the outcome of this game about either us or Notre Dame.

But, if I have to make any assumptions, I would prefer to think that Notre Dame is really good and that losing to them won't seem as bad when we look back on it in December as it feels now.