Watching Tech games

Doddjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm very excited about our upcoming Georgia Tech football and basketball seasons. I had hoped that the ACC Network would be a way for me to watch all the games (I am in Chattanooga, older/retired, LIMITED mobilty).

Unfortunately there does not seem to be simple solution to this situation. I am not adverse to subscribing to a pay service, but it seems the options are complicated, and expensive.

I am internet only with antenna local tv. Even with ESPN, ESPN÷ I was often finding home games blacked out in Chattanooga. It will show the game and time but no mention of blackout, just a message at game time that it is backed out.

I tried VPN to no avail.

I have seen some discussion regarding Bally and regional game coverage.

I would really appreciate your input on what works for you.

I know there are usually game day posts. Sometimes people post where they are viewing the games.

Sports for me is GA Tech football and basketball.

I am hoping to see traditional WELL coached GA Tech teams that represent our history of fielding competitive teams.

GO TECH

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
YouTube TV is what I have used in Wyoming. If it’s not on a channel I can usually log into ESPN with my YTTV credentials. You can’t pause or record the games(ESPN) but usually you can at least watch.

Don’t seem to get all the basketball games because of my region but it’s normally the early season games against the scrub teams.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm in Mississippi and was able to catch all the games on DirecTV Streaming, no blackouts IIRC. But the way these things are broadcast there never seems to be a guarantee, I have seen some crazy stuff in the last living just not quite far enough away from Atlanta to guarantee no blackouts on Tech and Braves. It's been smooth since Braves went Balley and we switched to DirecTV but the 3 years prior I hopped between Sling and Hulu to pick anything up.

At worst, ESPN3 can still be used right?

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
The good news is that the CW network has taken over the Bally games, and you have a local station https://chattanoogacw.com/

If a game was blacked out on ESPN+, then there was usually a RSN with broadcast rights. Now, with the CW, you should get the game over the air.

I hope. I have this fear that somehow it will still be blacked out and I’ll still be screwed.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
In Atlanta TV market - have not had any issues with DirecTV stream iirc. I may be misremembering but I think the only other subscription that I’ve needed for GT sports has been ESPN+

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm very excited about our upcoming Georgia Tech football and basketball seasons. I had hoped that the ACC Network would be a way for me to watch all the games (I am in Chattanooga, older/retired, LIMITED mobilty).

Unfortunately there does not seem to be simple solution to this situation. I am not adverse to subscribing to a pay service, but it seems the options are complicated, and expensive.

I am internet only with antenna local tv. Even with ESPN, ESPN÷ I was often finding home games blacked out in Chattanooga. It will show the game and time but no mention of blackout, just a message at game time that it is backed out.

I tried VPN to no avail.

I know there are usually game day posts. Sometimes people post where they are viewing the games.

I am hoping to see traditional WELL coached GA Tech teams that represent our history of fielding competitive teams.

GO TECH
Used to live in Chattanooga and am in NW Georgia now. I have youtube TV for ACC network. If tech isn't on that, I use ny YouTube TV subscription to access the live coverage on WatchESPN

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I also use Youtube TV, and have a decent track record of seeing games from Colorado. Not only that, but I set the unlimited DVR to just record all GT football and basketball games (and heck, all CFB and CBB games) so I can watch whenever I want.

As others have said, if the game isn't broadcast here, I can login to ESPN with my credentials and it usually works fine. It's unfortunate that you can't pause and rewind during the livestream of the game, but hey, didn't we used to do that "back in the day?" This arrangement works fine for me. And if I happen to miss a game that wasn't broadcast on Youtube TV and want to watch it later on ESPN, I can usually find it in their WatchESPN section, included in my Youtube TV subscription.

Good luck!

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I also use Youtube TV, and have a decent track record of seeing games from Colorado. Not only that, but I set the unlimited DVR to just record all GT football and basketball games (and heck, all CFB and CBB games) so I can watch whenever I want.

As others have said, if the game isn't broadcast here, I can login to ESPN with my credentials and it usually works fine. It's unfortunate that you can't pause and rewind during the livestream of the game, but hey, didn't we used to do that "back in the day?" This arrangement works fine for me. And if I happen to miss a game that wasn't broadcast on Youtube TV and want to watch it later on ESPN, I can usually find it in their WatchESPN section, included in my Youtube TV subscription.

Good luck!
The ACC also usually posts at least a condensed version of the game soon after the game ends. I think full games are often posted the next day, or definitely within a week.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
The ACC also usually posts at least a condensed version of the game soon after the game ends. I think full games are often posted the next day, or definitely within a week.
Unfortunately it is often the most garbage edit of all time. I’ve seen them chopped and screwed with no audio and have even cropped the screen to not include the score and time left in the game. To me it has always been a testament to our conference's undying need to stay steps behind.

Last edited:

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ve done both Hulu TV & YouTube TV. Hulu TV is a little cheaper, has the CW, ACC Network, and SEC Network (for the Ole Miss game).

As others have said, I look at the schedule a week ahead, and if it says RSN, I pull up the TV Guide for Saturday to see if it has the game listed on a channel I stream. If not, I screencast the game from my iPhone to Apple TV from the ESPN app.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

I tried VPN to no avail.

GO TECH
You MAY wish you had not watched them but we will see. The ACC is as mediocre after Clemson and FSU as ever so hopes abound for everyone.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
What pisses me off isn't paying to watch GT because I pay for everything I can to get most games, it's the heartache leading up to kickoff for the 4-5 games a year I can't get to. I pay for Comcast, Youtube TV, Hulu, ESPN+, Bally, etc. The broadcast quality varies greatly, but it would be nice to know whether or not the game is going to show or be blacked out. Thankfully I have friends that will facetime or zoom games from their tv so I can cast it to my tv when I get completely shutout, but it shouldn't come to that. If the game's blacked out on Comcast, it should show on one of the others and I should be able to know ahead of time which one to lock in to not miss the kickoff.

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
If you aren’t able to stream, what would be your go-to in keeping up with the game? Listen to a live podcast of the game, Twitter feed, etc.?

Curious to see what we all do

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If you aren’t able to stream, what would be your go-to in keeping up with the game? Listen to a live podcast of the game, Twitter feed, etc.?

Curious to see what we all do
iphone- Espn app using a vpn to change your location and defeat the blackout, then cast it to a TV if possible