Walk Ons

Techster

Helluva Engineer
CPJ has establish a good walk-on program. When I think of the best walk ons to play at GT, PJ Daniels and Sean Bedford are the two biggest names that come to mind.

More recent walk ons, Robby Godhigh and Tim Byerly come to mind as WO's who earned scholarships and made an impact for the team.

Who are some of the best WO's to have played at GT?

BTW, does GT give out a "Walk On of the Year" award? Should it be named the Bedford or Daniels award?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
CPJ has establish a good walk-on program. When I think of the best walk ons to play at GT, PJ Daniels and Sean Bedford are the two biggest names that come to mind.

More recent walk ons, Robby Godhigh and Tim Byerly come to mind as WO's who earned scholarships and made an impact for the team.

Who are some of the best WO's to have played at GT?

BTW, does GT give out a "Walk On of the Year" award? Should it be named the Bedford or Daniels award?

I would like to see Tech have 3-5 walk on's per year for the sole reason that they would be kids that might want to coach high school football one day. THIS is how you build a pipeline.

I have a high school classmate who walked on at an SEC school and now is a head coach. All his kids want to follow his footsteps. All it takes is one role model to make a difference.

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow
I would think if a team has more than 1 or 2 walk ons make the roster, your recruiting is in great need of an overhaul.

But a walk on making the roster is usually a great kid.

This is wrong.

You are allowed 85 scholarship but allowed to carry 110 on your roster. Therefore, every team has 20-25 walk-ons on their team. Usually, they skew to the younger side as some will quit as they get older (novelty of being a tackling dummy wears off, they want to do summer internships outside of Atlanta, etc)... So typically, you're taking 7-8 walk-ons every year.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I would think if a team has more than 1 or 2 walk ons make the roster, your recruiting is in great need of an overhaul.

But a walk on making the roster is usually a great kid.

I think you are confused. A walk on can still make the team/roster and not count against a scholarship. Thus not hurting the team in anyway. I prefer a strong walk-on program. We should fill up our total allowed preferred walk-on allotment every year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I would like to see Tech have 3-5 walk on's per year for the sole reason that they would be kids that might want to coach high school football one day. THIS is how you build a pipeline.

I have a high school classmate who walked on at an SEC school and now is a head coach. All his kids want to follow his footsteps. All it takes is one role model to make a difference.
Thanks.
U described my texas hs coaching son.

We both love gt , have tried to get gt interested, and will keep trying.

In mean time while winning a few district championships he is changing lives.

Coach does cool things with the walk ins- like carry the flag onto field.

Like your idea of Local walk ons.
Would be cool to have a "decade of walk ons - or a "decade of scout team leaders" ceremony at one halftime .

Even though he was offsides alittle Rudy action would be cool.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Thanks.
U described my texas hs coaching son.

We both love gt , have tried to get gt interested, and will keep trying.

In mean time while winning a few district championships he is changing lives.

Coach does cool things with the walk ins- like carry the flag onto field.

Like your idea of Local walk ons.
Would be cool to have a "decade of walk ons - or a "decade of scout team leaders" ceremony at one halftime .

Even though he was offsides alittle Rudy action would be cool.

Imagine if Tech had high school head coaches in all 15 of the hottest talent areas of the country that had played for Tech. Some one that REALLY KNEW what was going on in their areas. Priceless.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer

Our walk ons are too smart to coach hs football.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I think you are confused. A walk on can still make the team/roster and not count against a scholarship. Thus not hurting the team in anyway. I prefer a strong walk-on program. We should fill up our total allowed preferred walk-on allotment every year.

I think what you are saying is correct.

I should have been way more clear by saying if several walk ons are major contributors, (not S/T) in games then there are potential issues.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I know plenty of BME's that teach high school ... because they want to.
Don't let the negative guys get u down.
They are at heart gt fans and will come around - doing great things.

A former gt player( rb m smith 1991 - injured ) from Pensacola taught and coached hs here. I was trying to arrange a dinner meeting w him andy Andy mac. Now he is kind of cool on gt- when season over - will get Andy to call him direct. He could be a great gt ambassador for gt as he is well respected locally.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
No disrespect, I would just think that most people who can play football for Tech without being on scholarship would probably be getting a degree that would get them a job paying a lot more than a hs teacher/coach
No doubt, but some do go into teaching for various reasons. Some after successful careers in other fields.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
No disrespect, I would just think that most people who can play football for Tech without being on scholarship would probably be getting a degree that would get them a job paying a lot more than a hs teacher/coach
Get a job sounds a lot like the old
"Trade school on North Ave."

I know u are right- the walk on that took nuclear construction got to run out with the flag. Got a good job for sure to start.

Some guys take the gt degree and work ethic and do other things. The walk ons that are honored will be strong gt football supporters.
We need all we can get..

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
A lot of these kids could move down a division or play for another D1 school not in P5 but they choose to go to GT instead. They spend as much time in practice and perform a valuable part to help prepare our scholarship players for games. My hat is off to these kids. They help our program. Some of them may go on to coach. Did our current coach play college FB?