Wake Forest has shown us the way forward.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I do, too, but anything called "Slow-Mesh" isn't going to work behind our offensive line:

"There isn’t a single team in the country that employs the same offensive style as the Wake Forest Demon Deacons. Over the last few seasons Wake Forest’s offense has become notorious for its confounding RPO (run-pass option) system known as the “slow mesh.” Whereas the typical RPO lasts about 1 second from the quarterback’s read to decision, Wake Forest’s average RPO lasts closer to 2.5 seconds. Instead of quickly reading the defense then making a snap decision, Wake’s quarterback begins the handoff process first then reads the defense while holding the ball against the running back’s chest. This delayed convergence, or “mesh,” between quarterback and running back led to the name “slow mesh.”
With our blocking a 2.5 second mesh would have 3 or 4 defensive linemen / lb arguing about credit for the tackle for loss.

Ponte vedra GT

Georgia Tech Fan
So, a thought came to me; first the background:

1 Samuel 17:37-40
Saul said to David, “Go, and the Lord be with you.”​
38 Then Saul dressed David in his own tunic. He put a coat of armor on him and a bronze helmet on his head. 39 David fastened on his sword over the tunic and tried walking around, because he was not used to them.​
“I cannot go in these,” he said to Saul, “because I am not used to them.” So he took them off. 40 Then he took his staff in his hand, chose five smooth stones from the stream, put them in the pouch of his shepherd’s bag and, with his sling in his hand, approached [Goliath].​

You know the rest of the story. Using his sling and a stone, David slew Goliath. Had he gone out to battle using the same weapons that Goliath used, he would have failed.

Tech, Wake, Duke and all the smaller schools cannot out-Goliath the giants. We have to rely on unorthodox approaches if we are to win the day.
Should we go pay clauson 7 million to come to the ATL.????

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I do, too, but anything called "Slow-Mesh" isn't going to work behind our offensive line:

"There isn’t a single team in the country that employs the same offensive style as the Wake Forest Demon Deacons. Over the last few seasons Wake Forest’s offense has become notorious for its confounding RPO (run-pass option) system known as the “slow mesh.” Whereas the typical RPO lasts about 1 second from the quarterback’s read to decision, Wake Forest’s average RPO lasts closer to 2.5 seconds. Instead of quickly reading the defense then making a snap decision, Wake’s quarterback begins the handoff process first then reads the defense while holding the ball against the running back’s chest. This delayed convergence, or “mesh,” between quarterback and running back led to the name “slow mesh.”
And Wake won that game over Vandy 45-25.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

And the reason this works is that WF has recruited a bunch of mid 3 star wrecking balls at RB. My favorite:

Remind you of anybody? Yeah, we used to have players like that. His little brother Tate is a frosh this year. Watch that name.

I think Wake's success is based on three things:

1. A coach who knows what he wants on both sides of the ball and goes after it.

2. A willingness to let players mature and an eye for players who have talent and are overlooked by other schools.

3. A program that is built to work with the school instead of against it.

And, yes, a more varied curriculum - and I've called for that at Tech a lot recently - sure does help.

Wish I thought we could lure Clawson away, but I don't think that's likely. Too bad. Still, he should get a call.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I understand.

At Tech, Rocks, Socks and Crocks for Jocks* are single course electives...not majors.

*For the sidewalk fans among us, those are/were the intro courses for Geology, Textiles Engineering and Ceramics Engineering, respectively.
In the 70’s, at least, even engineering majors took “Crocks” as an elective their senior years to get the hours to graduate. The word was that if you turned your term paper in with a blue binder, you got an ‘A’. Worked for me.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Remember, after 14 u r the guy that warned us about the plug and play fallacy.

Your point was and is that both ol and skill players need to mature at the same time under a coach that can teach his scheme.

We thought that in 14 we would just add some young new backs, but that didnt work.

With Gibbs arrival we plugged in senior portal ol guys over a group of injured but experienced ol guys. It was fun wTching gibbs, but they all went away.

So far thisxyear Key is giving playing time to a very young group of ol guys.
They are about 1 yesr younger than the dl guys who are showing violence in their push.

I think we can start to grow with this ol group and be damn good in a few years
People don't realize that if we can keep things intact we have a lot of starters coming back on O and D

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Not quite the same, but I took the Science Fiction english class my graduating senior quarter. We met once a week in a bar (PJ Haley's Nest). You had to read a book per week though. Not sure how long it was before GT decided that having a class in a bar while drinking was probably not a good idea, but I enjoyed it while it lasted.
What year was that? Pj Haley’s? Was that that bar near Emory in sage hill shopping center?

slugboy

Staff member
There are some questions about whether we could run this offense with our OL because the slow mesh takes longer.
A. Clawson isn’t coming here, so it’s unlikely to happen
B. However, I don’t think the point of the slow mesh is to put more stress on the OL. It makes the defense tip their hands a bit faster. It’s counter-intuitive, but the slow mesh is a strategy to counter the other team having bigger and better athletes. One of the reasons that Wake does it is because the opposing DLs can get penetration, and it’s to make them pay for it.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Not quite the same, but I took the Science Fiction english class my graduating senior quarter. We met once a week in a bar (PJ Haley's Nest). You had to read a book per week though. Not sure how long it was before GT decided that having a class in a bar while drinking was probably not a good idea, but I enjoyed it while it lasted.
I signed up for the class because I heard they met at the bar. Sadly, we met in Stiles. Guess it was the quarter after.
1985, I think. If not then, pretty soon after.
I think I took the class in '86 or '87 and in Stiles at that point.
What year was that? Pj Haley’s? Was that that bar near Emory in sage hill shopping center?
There was a PJ's over at Emory, but I'm assuming this was at "our" PJ's on Marietta Street - over where Engineers Book Store is today (or has it closed?).
Now thinking about it, Emory's was PJ Haley's Pub and GT's was PJ Haley's Nest.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I went thru GT as a commuter student in 80-83 but spent most of my young life a couple of miles from the emory PJ's. I spent a few evenings in that one.