Wake Forest Has Found Their Mole

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
This was on ESPN:

"Louisville AD Tom Jurich said in a statement on Wednesday that Cardinals offensive coordinator Lonnie Galloway received a phone call from Wake Forest radio analyst Tommy Elrod, who shared a "few plays that were sent and then shared with our defensive staff" before the teams' game on Nov. 12. Jurich said none of the "special plays" were run by the Demon Deacons during their 44-12 loss. Wake Forest coaches scrapped the plays after finding diagrams of them at their walk-through at Papa John's Stadium the day before the game."

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0600785759242293335-4

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Damn if Louisville doesn't belong in the Sleaze Excess Conference. Not surprised at all seeing as they have the slimiest head football coach in all of football. (Butch Jones is on his heels though)

Yeah they cheated they just didn't get any actual game day benefits from it.......Riiiight! I have no faith in the NCAA stepping in and little faith the ACC office will. There should be ramifications. If I was Wake I'd sue the Dbag radio guy into the dirt, and I hate civil actions.

On another note......when the F is UNC gonna get punished for their fake degrees???? Looks like never SMDH.

Edit: maybe NCAA just waiting to see how heels season progressed. Wouldn't want to vacate any wins this year if they happened to sneak out a conf champ. If penalties ever are handed down why do I suspect unimportant wins vacated will far surpass any scholarship reductions or post season bans. Eff the NCAA. Can we just scrap it and move on already? Rant over......for now.....

Last edited:

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
The guy had been a player and coach or serving in some capacity at WF for some 15+ years. To me is sounds like his motive is "getting back at Clawson", who didn't retain him in any capacity, in 2014. That's when this whole thing supposedly started. Maybe he was just bitter and angry at Clawson and wanted to get him fired?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The guy had been a player and coach or serving in some capacity at WF for some 15+ years. To me is sounds like his motive is "getting back at Clawson", who didn't retain him in any capacity, in 2014. That's when this whole thing supposedly started. Maybe he was just bitter and angry at Clawson and wanted to get him fired?

Agreed. IIRC he started sharing secrets in 2014 which would've been right after Clawson started. Just ridiculous. Clawson probably told him he wanted to coaches tied to the previous era of ineptitude. Or maybe somebody in the administration promised he'd get a staff position.

Still, does he not realize the coaching community (and really any occupational "community") is very, very small. Once he establishes a rep as a rat, he renders himself unhireable. Just plain career suicide even if he never got caught.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think you are on the money. I am just guessing he has coached his last game?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I read that Army AD Corrigan affirms they have been contacted regarding having possession of Wake Forest football information from a former WF coach, then radio one of its announcers. What is clear is that Louisville had it. Their AD confirms it, but then claims they didn't have to use use it so therefore nobody cheated. Only in Louisville.

But I have my fingers crossed that nobody at Army knew was contacted, or knew about it, and did not report it. I can't imagine it, with a rigid Cadet Honor Code in place and vigorously enforced for more than half a century when dozens of football players were caught cheating. But if they did, and it is confirmed and Monken knew something about it, there seems to be no way he could survive it and yet Army still claim its honor and integrity intact. It might be just a routine inquiry but it is disquieting that they have been called out.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I will be shocked if either the NCAA or ACC makes a big deal of this. They might hold a press conference and say "tut tut" but I'm betting no penalties or true ramifications. Color me jaded.

My prediction. NCAA will say they have no control over this sort of thing and member institutions need to guard their own insider info. ACC could step in more but won't....because we are talking about Wake...UNC/Duke might be a different story.:rolleyes:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Now VT is on the list too. http://deadspin.com/virginia-tech-ad-says-hokies-received-wake-forest-game-1790159461

The guy that decided to go rogue at WF and share "secrets" with opposing coaches has already been fired...as he should have been. The real question going forward is how do you deal with coaches (or staffs) that accepted the information willingly. If you have read/heard the Louisville AD's statement, it is mind-blowing. This guy actually officially responded (after his HC denied it btw) by saying (paraphrasing): Yeah... we got the playbook; but it isn't really a big deal because WF did not run those plays. This was his actual official response to being pressed on this. NUTS!!

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Now VT is on the list too. http://deadspin.com/virginia-tech-ad-says-hokies-received-wake-forest-game-1790159461

The guy that decided to go rogue at WF and share "secrets" with opposing coaches has already been fired...as he should have been. The real question going forward is how do you deal with coaches (or staffs) that accepted the information willingly. If you have read/heard the Louisville AD's statement, it is mind-blowing. This guy actually officially responded (after his HC denied it btw) by saying (paraphrasing): Yeah... we got the playbook; but it isn't really a big deal because WF did not run those plays. This was his actual official response to being pressed on this. NUTS!!
Isn't he the same guy who hired CBP....twice?. If so, nuf said....

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Lville's AD has long been considered one of the best AD's in the country. In the past few years of him hiring and dealing with Quitrino and how he's (not) dealt with Pitino, I can't see how that rep hasn't taken a huge hit among his peers.

His response to this controversy has been mind-numbingly arrogant. As the writer said in the article I read, I'd like to hear from Wake that they didn't use any of the plays especially considering your coach flat out lied about having received any info.

On Army, it would be disappointing if they received info but I can see it being written off to a 'boys will be boys' type of thing. More "gamesmanship" than "cheating". @Whiskey_Clear is right in that the NCAA will punt on this.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Lville's AD has long been considered one of the best AD's in the country. In the past few years of him hiring and dealing with Quitrino and how he's (not) dealt with Pitino, I can't see how that rep hasn't taken a huge hit among his peers.

His response to this controversy has been mind-numbingly arrogant. As the writer said in the article I read, I'd like to hear from Wake that they didn't use any of the plays especially considering your coach flat out lied about having received any info.

On Army, it would be disappointing if they received info but I can see it being written off to a 'boys will be boys' type of thing. More "gamesmanship" than "cheating". @Whiskey_Clear is right in that the NCAA will punt on this.
Wake didn't use the plays because they knew that they were compromised.
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ach-says-team-scrapped-plans-discovering-leak