VT vs GT Game time and TV

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
A November 5, 12:30 kickoff to be carried on Bally RSN here in Atlanta. So I cannot watch it (along with many of you as well). Rats!

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
A wise person gave me this link for an earlier hard to get game. Be careful to not click on the ads. (Click on the menu to get to our game, then click red arrow to start game, when a new window pops up, close it. Then click on red arrow again to start game. Don't click any ads!)

Sounds like instructions for crossing a mine-laden field under fire. :nailbiting:

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Anyone know when the contract with Bally is up? I really hope the ACC finds a new partner then.

slugboy

Staff member
Anyone know when the contract with Bally is up? I really hope the ACC finds a new partner then.
It’s stranger than that, I think. Jefferson Pilot insurance used to broadcast the games, and they got bought by Liberty Mutual, who eventually sold/leased the rights to the Fox Sports RSNs.
I think the ACC Network has been trying to buy some rights back from Liberty Mutual

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I have seen things on other places than Wikipedia. ESPN purchased the license for all ACC games. Raycom had owned a license to something like a game a week. ESPN sub-licensed the equivalent of what Raycom already had to them in order to make the ACC/ESPN deal viable. That deal was signed in 2011, and it was a 12 year deal, so it would have ended in 2023 if ESPN and the ACC had not signed a new agreement. I haven't seen the details of the new deal, so I don't know what it says about Raycom.

Some people think that Raycom will no longer have rights to ACC games when the original ESPN/ACC deal expires. However, I believe that in the original Raycom/ACC agreement, it lasted until 2027. So the ACC could not sell the rights that Raycom already owned to ESPN. I think that those rights will not move over to ESPN until 2028.

Raycom sold those sub-license rights to Fox Sports, who was then sold to Sinclair, and then moved to a sub-company Diamond Sports. Diamond Sports signed a naming agreement with Bally's to get the current name. So the licensing agreement was: ACC --> Raycom --> Fox Sports --> Sinclair --> Diamond Sports Group. The ACC sold the rights for almost nothing. Raycom made a profit when it sold the rights to Fox Sports. Fox Sports (Disney at the time) fleeced Sinclair in the deal to sell the networks, so made a good profit off of the ACC rights. Diamond Sports Group is in a ton of debt and have zero way of making a profit at this point. The ACC made almost nothing off the deal. Raycom and Disney made a lot of money off of selling the license. The only way ACC and ESPN can get the content back at the moment is to far overpay Diamond for the rights, which ESPN is not going to do.

Sinclair has been discussing offloading Diamond, and possibly working a deal with creditors to sell all of the content licenses that it owns as a settlement for all of the debt owed. If that happens, then it is possible that ESPN could purchase those rights at a reasonable rate. That would help with being able to view the games, but the ACC wouldn't get any additional money because ESPN would have already completely paid for the additional rights.