Vision for the Future Offense

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I think we can do just fine right away (read: average P5 offense) by installing a simple RPO-concept offense. Zone-read base with a dual bubble screen or slants call. Have a 4 verts call, some plays with route trees mainly for picking up 3rd down conversions, some stuff based on motion out of the backfield, a short-yardage package, some red-zone plays, and a few wrinkles beyond that. But it doesn't have to be a big playbook. A spread zone-read RPO design is analogous to CPJ's base offense. There are all kinds of ways to try and stop it, but if it's read correctly by the offense there's no way for the defense to get a numerical advantage without gambling. They have to rely on creating confusion, mistakes by the offense, or simply winning their assignment. We can get at least average at executing our part of it before the season starts. The rest of the stuff might be a different story.

I'm not saying we should do this necessarily. I would prefer something more innovative and closer to the current option scheme at base, but I don't know specifically what that would look like or if it's in existence already. I don't want "pro set", or something that incorporates RPO stuff as a feature. If it's a part of our offense, we should make it the basic part.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If CPJ still wanted the Tech job he would have the Tech job. You realize he retired, right?
I think this whole pro and anti and neutral Johnson coaching thing is just wasted motion. He is leaving after the bowl game and that is that; I hope that all of us, whatever the view, thank him for 11 years of service and untold years in keyboard time, and move on. I guarantee you he is. But there is hope for all. In reading the AJC piece on his pitching the Quick Lane Bowl I thought he did everything but announce he will be baaaack! A year and he's looking. Meanwhile, it is time to hammer Stansbury for a new guy. Signing day is approaching and for all the commits know Stansbury will be coaching.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I’m expecting a mix of 11 and 12 personnel high uptempo, spread offense
If it is Collins, then maybe not so much. Today I found Temple-Cincinnati 2018, both about eight games into the season. atched a half and gave up. Temple kind of went at up tempo, but not very much up to the tempo. Lots of dinks and dabs to the flats that I did not see a purpose to other than complete them, and not many were. (Temple's QB was 6-4 , 230 and had almost as many picks as TDs, something like 7-6. I am pretty sure GT had more TD passes than that.) Not much of a runner either, so hard to judge that as an option offense. One back set is all I saw with spreads and slots. But, and it is only Collins's second year, very slow team speed. They did go deep a couple of times with some drops. Defense was okay, but Cincinnati was not much faster if at all, and its QB was a mirror image of Temple. I just hope, if it is Collins, that he is not a sideways passer. The good news oddly enough is that he drew a 15-yard penalty for rushing on to the field to demand a targeting call on a Cincy player. It clearly was on replay but refs missed it on first call. So he took the penalty but stood up for his poor end who just got crowned in the solar plexis. Hard to tell from one half of boring football.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Well you are assuming Collins brings his OC allong for the ride. I have a feeling we are willing to spend P5 coordinator money on a new OC so it could be anything.

So if we can't keep the Spread Option of CPJ, my vote is that we go to the Malzahn offense. Not the one he is using now but the one he used when had that ex Georgia kid at QB. He ran a lot of pure option and we have the QBs to run the ball. By the way, why do you all think TO will not be the QB next year. He is big, tall and led the state in passing his senior year of HS.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Well you are assuming Collins brings his OC allong for the ride. I have a feeling we are willing to spend P5 coordinator money on a new OC so it could be anything.
Actually, I am assuming that Collins would be the head ball coach. In charge of it all. It is one half of one game between two slow teams with two big slow bad QBs, one of whom seems to almost shot put the ball out. Somebody with a better eye might take a look, but whoever is chosen is going to be in charge of it all.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
While flying to Raleigh this evening, I sat next to Lanier Goethrie, linebackers coach for Duke. Nice young man who aspires to be a head coach one day. See the link for his career path thus. He's from Blakely, GA also.

He was flying back home from a recruiting trip, starting in Mobile then ending in ATL. Indicated they recruit heavily from the metro ATL and expected to sign a few student athletes from the area. He asked me if I thought we'd look for a coach that would continue CPJs version of the TO and I indicated I thought we may go to a spread RPO, keeping some of the TO but including more passing in our attack. He smiled and said if we did that, it would upset many teams in the ACC and SEC because he felt student athletes would give greater consideration to GT and being where we are located, that would give us a distinct advantage over other teams. There are enough good athletes to go around but not having to go far in your backyard should result in an uptick of recruiting.

Someone mentioned about the impact changing our offense would have on recruiting somewhere on this site earlier but hearing his comments, unsolicited at that, really drove the point home for me.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
While flying to Raleigh this evening, I sat next to Lanier Goethrie, linebackers coach for Duke. Nice young man who aspires to be a head coach one day. See the link for his career path thus. He's from Blakely, GA also.

He was flying back home from a recruiting trip, starting in Mobile then ending in ATL. Indicated they recruit heavily from the metro ATL and expected to sign a few student athletes from the area. He asked me if I thought we'd look for a coach that would continue CPJs version of the TO and I indicated I thought we may go to a spread RPO, keeping some of the TO but including more passing in our attack. He smiled and said if we did that, it would upset many teams in the ACC and SEC because he felt student athletes would give greater consideration to GT and being where we are located, that would give us a distinct advantage over other teams. There are enough good athletes to go around but not having to go far in your backyard should result in an uptick of recruiting.

Someone mentioned about the impact changing our offense would have on recruiting somewhere on this site earlier but hearing his comments, unsolicited at that, really drove the point home for me.
And DC’s will be less happy because they no longer have to study and prep for the triple option. The fact that our offense may be directly competing against all other teams surrounding us (8 of the top 10 recruiting schools neighbor us) may not be a surefire positive unless we invest heavily in our program moving forward.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I am still shocked by what I saw us do to Bud Foster this year. Just shocked.
Me, not so much. We had beaten them 3 out of the last 4 games and it had been many years since we had not at least kept it close. I am not sure why VIPYSU is spoken of with such awe by Tech fans. We have owned them at least as much as Duke has owned us. :(

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

The only thing that makes me suspicious about this is that Tech's rivals have been giving advice ever since Dodd lost to Dooley in his last season. The advice changes depending on who the coach is but the one constant is the idea that Tech is not doing it right (whatever they are doing) and if they will just do such and such they will have a near miraculous turn around. Why do all of our rivals care so much about wanting us to be able to beat them?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Me, not so much. We had beaten them 3 out of the last 4 games and it had been many years since we had not at least kept it close. I am not sure why VIPYSU is spoken of with such awe by Tech fans. We have owned them at least as much as Duke has owned us. :(

Never embarrassed Bud like that....like you said, we had beaten them (and them beaten us) in mostly close, defensive games prior.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer

That's exactly what my buddies who coach HS football in GA have told me. Almost verbatim. I shared that same thing in another thread. The ACC and SEC schools who recruit GA kids DO NOT want GT running an offense that will compete for recruits because there's a LOT of kids who want to stay home both for the business and educational opportunities GT represents. To go further, they fear a good coach coming in who can sell GT because GT has so many advantages a lot of the SEC and ACC schools do not because of Atlanta. GT will recruit a different type of kid, but those kids are self driven and won't be scared of the academics...because the reality is, kids that wanted to go to GT will end up picking a similar major somewhere else and still have to do similar coursework. One buddy who coaches at a powerhouse program in Cobb said that GT running a pure option system basically opened up the barn door to let other schools come in and raid the building. His point was that in the South, and this is something Tommy Tubberville said, kids like to stay close to their families...but kids also have professional aspirations. UGA can only recruit so many kids a year, and GT should be able to win a few battles every year with kids UGA doesn't want...and if you look at the history of some of our offensive players, that's exactly the case. GT has gotten quite a few good players in the past because recruits who couldn't get a scholly from UGA ended picking GT because they wanted to stay home. When CPJ came in, GT lost out on a lot of those kids.

To CPJ's credit, he's gotten results with kids a lot of P5 schools were not looking at on offense, but he had to do it the hard way. It will certainly be interesting to see this all play out the next 2-3 seasons once the new coach comes in and gets established.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
That's exactly what my buddies who coach HS football in GA have told me. Almost verbatim. I shared that same thing in another thread. The ACC and SEC schools who recruit GA kids DO NOT want GT running an offense that will compete for recruits because there's a LOT of kids who want to stay home both for the business and educational opportunities GT represents. To go further, they fear a good coach coming in who can sell GT because GT has so many advantages a lot of the SEC and ACC schools do not because of Atlanta. GT will recruit a different type of kid, but those kids are self driven and won't be scared of the academics...because the reality is, kids that wanted to go to GT will end up picking a similar major somewhere else and still have to do similar coursework. One buddy who coaches at a powerhouse program in Cobb said that GT running a pure option system basically opened up the barn door to let other schools come in and raid the building. His point was that in the South, and this is something Tommy Tubberville said, kids like to stay close to their families...but kids also have professional aspirations. UGA can only recruit so many kids a year, and GT should be able to win a few battles every year with kids UGA doesn't want...and if you look at the history of some of our offensive players, that's exactly the case. GT has gotten quite a few good players in the past because recruits who couldn't get a scholly from UGA ended picking GT because they wanted to stay home. When CPJ came in, GT lost out on a lot of those kids.

To CPJ's credit, he's gotten results with kids a lot of P5 schools were not looking at on offense, but he had to do it the hard way. It will certainly be interesting to see this all play out the next 2-3 seasons once the new coach comes in and gets established.
You've just made the case for Tony Elliott, whom the AJC "reports" is a candidate ... except nobody has talked to him. Both the offensive scheme and the Georgia recruiting -- and Clemson knows there are a bunch of players in Georgia and if I recall harvested a couple of pretty fair QBs there. I suspect one concern -- the first might be no head coaching experience, but if you have worked with one of the best for 10 years there is osmosis at work there -- is that he will make demands I gather GT either can't or won't meet. It is not the money, but the things Tech needs to compete: operating budget, recruiting, staffing, facilities, technology. Swinney did not ask for all those things 11 years ago, but he did have a list of specs that he insisted upon despite the fact he was a mere position coach. Had he not got them, he would have said no. There might be a feeling that Elliott is spoiled by Swinney's organization.

By the bye -- no, I don't know what that means -- while I credit and respect much of the anecdotal evidence Techster offers, I don't think players are going to flock to Tech now with a more traditional offense. It is still blocking and tackling and liberal arts offerings and recruiting against guys throwing calculus and physics into the mix. Some of what I read I think is more musings on the parts of those coaches and recruiters. We won't know for a year, regardless. (And I can't wait for the first outburst after a pick, the primal scream of "Why in !@&( @&*( would a decent football coach throw the ball there?" You know it is coming, don't you?)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You've just made the case for Tony Elliott, whom the AJC "reports" is a candidate ... except nobody has talked to him. Both the offensive scheme and the Georgia recruiting -- and Clemson knows there are a bunch of players in Georgia and if I recall harvested a couple of pretty fair QBs there. I suspect one concern -- the first might be no head coaching experience, but if you have worked with one of the best for 10 years there is osmosis at work there -- is that he will make demands I gather GT either can't or won't meet. It is not the money, but the things Tech needs to compete: operating budget, recruiting, staffing, facilities, technology. Swinney did not ask for all those things 11 years ago, but he did have a list of specs that he insisted upon despite the fact he was a mere position coach. Had he not got them, he would have said no. There might be a feeling that Elliott is spoiled by Swinney's organization.

By the bye -- no, I don't know what that means -- while I credit and respect much of the anecdotal evidence Techster offers, I don't think players are going to flock to Tech now with a more traditional offense. It is still blocking and tackling and liberal arts offerings and recruiting against guys throwing calculus and physics into the mix. Some of what I read I think is more musings on the parts of those coaches and recruiters. We won't know for a year, regardless. (And I can't wait for the first outburst after a pick, the primal scream of "Why in !@&( @&*( would a decent football coach throw the ball there?" You know it is coming, don't you?)

Kids aren't going to break down the doors to come to GT just because we re-discovered the forward pass. However, kids won't eliminate GT without stepping foot on campus, or kids won't send our coaches straight to voicemail either. GT will have a chance just like the other schools, and with some kids, our chances will be better than other schools because of our academics and we're the homeschool. That's what a lot of us were getting at. Some kids never even gave our coaches the chance or didn't even pick up our coaches calls because they had zero interest playing in our system...or practicing against it.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
My vision for the future offense is that it's even close to being as good as we've been for the past decade.

I really think folks have no clue how effective our offense has been. We've been elite.

I am deeply concerned about being average. I don't care what we run, I just want it to be effective.

/