Virginia's Linbackers similiar to Pitt's Big and slow

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
If you look at the starting linebackers that Virginia have they appear to be larger and are probably a little slower than Pitt's, There is now way that they can keep up with the outside edge speed of our guys, I sure CPJ has already noticed this already,Count on a steady dose of the jet sweep with Snoddy

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
They'll blow up a few plays in the backfield and cover respectively in the secondary, but they won't be able to stop us. Unless they pound the ball to eat up clock we put up 35+. This offense is nasty right now. Hard to believe we let a few poor throws by JT derail us against Duke. Going to be a fun ride the next couple years with JT5. Hopefully we can find a defense to complement him.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
THE KEY to this game is the Bback success.Tenuta will try to bring everybody to blowup outside plays.Lots of one on ones with DBs also.
Well if we have offensive success going into the half, at least we will know that there will be zero defensive adjustments from Virginia :D

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
THE KEY to this game is the Bback success.Tenuta will try to bring everybody to blowup outside plays.Lots of one on ones with DBs also.

I actually think Tenuta will do the exact opposite. If he runs his scheme vs us, I promise you we will put up 60.

I expect to see multiple fronts with slant and angles by the DL

Last edited:

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I actually think Tenuta will do the exact opposite. If he runs his scheme vs I promise you we will put up 60.

I expect to see multiple fronts with slant and angles by the DL

I agree. I would expect him to try to shoot some gaps on first and second down. If he can do that he can get us into a passing situation where he can run his scheme.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
With their front seven only having one guy at 300 and rest at abot 240-250 , IMO they will funnel us to middle hoping to give us a good dose of third and long. Stack the ends and hope for best. Our ab are going to have hands full w lb.
that said coach has called counters, reverses, passes to ab this year so we will make them pay for loading the box.

Just hope we can stop their offense.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
I'm thinking THIS will be the first game we'll need to alter our snap count because I have a feeling Tenuta's going to have his guys trying to jump us and get to Justin before he has a chance to start his progressions. If we start getting some offsides to keep them them honest, it should slow them down so we can run our offense. Also, our no huddle may help throw them off if Tenuta starts to try to make changes at the last minute to confuse Justin. If we can start at the LoS, Tenuta will have to make a quick call because he won't know if we'll make a fast snap.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm thinking THIS will be the first game we'll need to alter our snap count because I have a feeling Tenuta's going to have his guys trying to jump us and get to Justin before he has a chance to start his progressions. If we start getting some offsides to keep them them honest, it should slow them down so we can run our offense. Also, our no huddle may help throw them off if Tenuta starts to try to make changes at the last minute to confuse Justin. If we can start at the LoS, Tenuta will have to make a quick call because he won't know if we'll make a fast snap.
Anybody remember the play where we send the Aback in motion only to have him jog back to his starting spot? Was that a ploy to draw the D offsides?

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Also to see if the D is in man coverage or not DCS.

I think he'll do what he did last year - force us to beat them up the middle - see if we can block those big LBers. That's what he did last year and when he was involved with NCSt game planning.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Also to see if the D is in man coverage or not DCS.

I think he'll do what he did last year - force us to beat them up the middle - see if we can block those big LBers. That's what he did last year and when he was involved with NCSt game planning.
If the MLB is playing 8 yards off the LOS, all you have to do is just get in his way and it's 5 yards a pop on the dive. Our OL's have doing that and some.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think UVa will be faster than Pitt. Partly because UVa is a lot more familiar with our offense than Pitt is. The Pitt players seemed to be thinking too much.

I'll wait for Thursday to make my prediction so I don't offend any sensitivities. :sneaky:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think UVa will be faster than Pitt. Partly because UVa is a lot more familiar with our offense than Pitt is. The Pitt players seemed to be thinking too much.

I'll wait for Thursday to make my prediction so I don't offend any sensitivities. :sneaky:
Another aspect to consider is JT's development, especially his ability to hide his intention till the last second. It either freezes defenses for a second, or it forces them into guessing what to do and where to go. In the former scenario, it's a win for us almost 100% of the time. (That's what Pitt was doing, btw). In the latter, you win some, you lose some based on how the guess pans out.

TomOReilly

Jolly Good Fellow
At the end of the discussion, our offense will dictate and control who and where the pressure is applied. It has little to do with who lines up on UVA but our execution. JT is becoming a master of the TO and plays will there for the taking.

Virginia is familiar with our offense quarterbacked by Washington & Lee [:)]. It is a horse of a different color with Justin Thomas at the helm.