Virginia's Basketball Coach

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe Virginia is going to be a force in the ACC for awhile. I like the demeanor and coaching of their present coach. I observed him carefully during the tournement games. He is calm and does not seem to lose his focus on the game. He appears to be analyzing the team as it plays the game, and makes the right adjustments during the game.

I have noticed he will change the tempo of the game when necessary, shoot the threes when necessary, go inside with the pass when necessary, have his guards penetrating to the basket when necessary, and always playing good defense. He seems to coach it correctly, not trying to play the same type of game all the time, but tailoring the game to the situations as it progresses. I think he is a smart coach.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I mostly agree, and way moreso than when we heard the same story last year about Larranaga/Miami. It will be interesting to see what happens to UVA next year after they lose Harris and Mitchell. They have solid young contributors like Brogdon, Perrantes, and Toby that should at minimum keep them afloat so that they don't have a Miami-esque tumble.

When folks trumpeted Larranaga last year it was easy to overlook the senior class he had. "This is the new hot coach" happens every year in college basketball, and those coaches are often located at non-power schools with junior and senior-laden rosters. Bennett and Larranaga are certainly above average coaches but I think it's still TBD on both in terms of how great they truly are.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I admit I haven't followed UVA hoops. What is the talent level of the underclassmen on his team? Considering that most of his key contributors are juniors and seniors.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Cuse-Jacket & ATl1: I agree that senior laden teams are often better than those with too many freshmen on the team, however, my assumption was from watching the coach on the sidelines and how he manipulated the play of his team. I was very impressed with his demeanor and calmness during the games. He did not seem to get caught up in the emotion of the game, but seemed to be analyzing and making decisions with his team's play.

Of course, appearance does not always pan out, but my guess at present is that he is a good coach.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
How has UVa been recruiting the last few years in basketball? I think in football they are doing a lot better and would be a football force in Coastal with our coaching staff.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
How has UVa been recruiting the last few years in basketball? I think in football they are doing a lot better and would be a football force in Coastal with our coaching staff.

Well, we've got Ralph Samson watching our games now!!!

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
I believe Virginia is going to be a force in the ACC for awhile. I like the demeanor and coaching of their present coach. I observed him carefully during the tournement games. He is calm and does not seem to lose his focus on the game. He appears to be analyzing the team as it plays the game, and makes the right adjustments during the game.

I have noticed he will change the tempo of the game when necessary, shoot the threes when necessary, go inside with the pass when necessary, have his guards penetrating to the basket when necessary, and always playing good defense. He seems to coach it correctly, not trying to play the same type of game all the time, but tailoring the game to the situations as it progresses. I think he is a smart coach.

sure sounds exactly like the same kind of stuff 'some' folks were saying about gt and phewitt in 04. genius. calm cool collected. gt is going to be a force.

lmao. lets let the guy have a few seasons under his belt first before we call him the next hewitt.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
gtpi: If I remember correctly, I may have been the one that posted the same about Hewitt. I still think PH could have survived, but he left his first passion and tried to adapt to the ACC style of basketball, which took him out of his comfort zone. In his his first coaching job, his offense was run and gun, and his defense was full court. He abandoned those concepts and tried to compete with the half-court offense of most of the ACC teams, who only used the run and gun occasionally. He became like a fish out of water.

Even good coaches can be beaten when you get them to playing your game instead of their game.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Congratulations to Florida for such a great season for them. I did not realize that they are the only team in history to go 18-0 in a major conference. That is amazing, but this tournement has really been a tough one for all participants. Connecticutt has peaked at the right time, but they still have one more game to go. Either of the two remaining teams and Connecticutt are all equally capable of winning it all.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
gtpi: If I remember correctly, I may have been the one that posted the same about Hewitt. I still think PH could have survived, but he left his first passion and tried to adapt to the ACC style of basketball, which took him out of his comfort zone. In his his first coaching job, his offense was run and gun, and his defense was full court. He abandoned those concepts and tried to compete with the half-court offense of most of the ACC teams, who only used the run and gun occasionally. He became like a fish out of water.

Even good coaches can be beaten when you get them to playing your game instead of their game.

That's a great point that everyone seems to ignore. Hew came in with a Shake-esque style. By the end we never pressed or ran. Not sure why there was such a drastic change. Could be as you suggest, an attempt to conform rather than "sticking with the horse what brung you".

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Yeah he came with a crazy press D and it just left and then he went half court and never regained form.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
sure sounds exactly like the same kind of stuff 'some' folks were saying about gt and phewitt in 04. genius. calm cool collected. gt is going to be a force.

lmao. lets let the guy have a few seasons under his belt first before we call him the next hewitt.

Different. Way Different. Bennett isn't new. He was winning at Washington State. Yes they have a basketball team. They also have not done much since he left.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
That's a great point that everyone seems to ignore. Hew came in with a Shake-esque style. By the end we never pressed or ran. Not sure why there was such a drastic change. Could be as you suggest, an attempt to conform rather than "sticking with the horse what brung you".

so what is his problem at his current school. same plugged toilet offense. same problems in-bounding the ball and the fans started hating him a whole lot earlier than here.