Virginia tech travel

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Is anyone headed to the Va Tech game? If so, where are you staying. We are looking at Roanoke, but its about a 50 minute drive to Blacksburg. Anyone know of a gt group rate? We are leaving Tuesday and coming back friday.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll be going. I actually did grad school in bburg. I haven't missed a Tech game there yet (good visits the last two years!).

The town just isn't equipped for such an influx of people. Hotels generally sell out well in advance of games. Roanoke won't be a fun trip the morning of, but it's doable. If anything is available in Christiansburg you'll have an easier time.

I realize this wasn't much help. They take their Thursday games very seriously; it'll be a lot of fun.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I'll be going. I actually did grad school in bburg. I haven't missed a Tech game there yet (good visits the last two years!).

The town just isn't equipped for such an influx of people. Hotels generally sell out well in advance of games. Roanoke won't be a fun trip the morning of, but it's doable. If anything is available in Christiansburg you'll have an easier time.

I realize this wasn't much help. They take their Thursday games very seriously; it'll be a lot of fun.

Yeah I checked back in june for hotels in Blacksburg and nothing. We thought Roanoke, just because we have never been to that area before.

Nixon_Corral

Georgia Tech Fan
I got lucky with an airbnb in Blacksburg for $30 (!). Hosts appear to be hippie types, so I don't think accounted for the extra money they could make with gameday folks. Fine by me!

Side note, I actually have an extra ticket for this game because the friend of mine that was going to go can't make it anymore. Unfortunately, I only have the 1 extra, and it's hard to get people to bite on just one ticket. Anyway, figured I'd offer; willing to part with it relatively cheap. Message privately for inquiries, of course.

CoolHandluq

Georgia Tech Fan
If you tailgate early you will be fine but if you leave late afternoon on a thursday 81 can become brutal (There is huge intermodal truck/train station just off of 81 south of Roanoke/ north of Bburg ....which means there is a ton of semi traffic and alot of accidents happen in that 20 mile corridor)

You'll be fine on a Thursday.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
Flying into the ATL on Wednesday. Then going to get up early on game day and drive up from Marietta with my friend. Then after the game drive 3 another hours over to Huntington and spend the night. I always wanted to pay my respects to those kids from Marshall that perished in that devastating plane crash back in the 70's. I was just a junior high school kid back in Colorado at the time it happened, but will never forget seeing that tragedy on the evening news.

Since I don't figure I'll be close again in the future to West Virginia, it's something that as a college football fan I just wanted to attend and say a few words at their memorial site.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I checked back in june for hotels in Blacksburg and nothing. We thought Roanoke, just because we have never been to that area before.
My daughter and I are going up and will probably stay in Roanoke. There are several hotels there that are left with decent rates. Game night rates are higher, so we are thinking of getting a room there the night before then hitting the road for an hour or so after the game.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
My brother and I are going to the game and we were wondering if there are any tips on the best place to park?
I found a few relatively close to the stadium on StubHub starting at $17.59 (most are more expensive). Evidently there is a public parking lot off campus with a shuttle bus that will take you to the stadium for $20. The address for that is 3109 Prices Fork Rd.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
We are staying in Blacksburg. Found the holiday I'm for super cheap fo a game week. About a 20 minute walk to lane stadium. We would love to stop at some GT tailgates! Depending on price we may set up a gate as well.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I got lucky with an airbnb in Blacksburg for $30 (!). Hosts appear to be hippie types, so I don't think accounted for the extra money they could make with gameday folks. Fine by me!

Side note, I actually have an extra ticket for this game because the friend of mine that was going to go can't make it anymore. Unfortunately, I only have the 1 extra, and it's hard to get people to bite on just one ticket. Anyway, figured I'd offer; willing to part with it relatively cheap. Message privately for inquiries, of course.

Hokie Stoned hosts?