Virginia Tech Postgame

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I have said it more than once this year that if PJ just scales the blocking and play calls down to a few well run plays that are executed effectively we will do a whole lot better. Last night proved it. The line played simpler and better and TO understands you must get upfield not try to get corners out to the sidelines (like Marshall likes to do). TO is also a bigger guy to get down and he isn’t afraid to stick his shoulder in there and grind out some tough yards.

If PJ has left TO in the USF game we would have won it. What could have been. PJ did not start the more effective QB and instead chose loyalty to the senior over the QB this offense really needs. I don’t want to see another QB in this system less than 6 foot. Oliver is 6’2, Graham is 6’1 and Lucas is 6’3. Marshall is 5’10. Gotta have big guys in this system at QB.
Eh, we didn’t lose in Tampa because of TM. He came in and completed a huge third and long only to have a senior Aback fumble away the coffin nail drive. Then he completed another huge third and long only to have it negated by a vet OL holding penalty.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
I have said it more than once this year that if PJ just scales the blocking and play calls down to a few well run plays that are executed effectively we will do a whole lot better. Last night proved it. The line played simpler and better and TO understands you must get upfield not try to get corners out to the sidelines (like Marshall likes to do). TO is also a bigger guy to get down and he isn’t afraid to stick his shoulder in there and grind out some tough yards.

If PJ has left TO in the USF game we would have won it. What could have been. PJ did not start the more effective QB and instead chose loyalty to the senior over the QB this offense really needs. I don’t want to see another QB in this system less than 6 foot. Oliver is 6’2, Graham is 6’1 and Lucas is 6’3. Marshall is 5’10. Gotta have big guys in this system at QB.
I've stood next to JT. That's not 6 feet.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Fuente said in his post game press conference when he was asked why more teams don't use our blocking scheme that it is much harder to move backwards and pass protect from the stance we have our OLine in. I know the center is positioned in a weird way when he snaps but I guess I never thought about how the T and G would have a tough time moving backwards to make a pocket.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Fuente said in his post game press conference when he was asked why more teams don't use our blocking scheme that it is much harder to move backwards and pass protect from the stance we have our OLine in. I know the center is positioned in a weird way when he snaps but I guess I never thought about how the T and G would have a tough time moving backwards to make a pocket.

GT doesn’t have to worry about all of that.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Oliver didn't know he was starting until pregame warmups. CPJ had mentioned to him that he might since TM was injured and couldn't practice, but he didn't get the final "you're up" until right before game time.

The leaves are turning.

I think UVA will be tough. For some reason, kind of like Duke/Cutcliffe, Bronco Mendenhall takes a lot of pride in playing against our offense and has a solid rationale for how to defend it (it's not just assignment football, though that's part of it ... it's mostly defeating blocks, and taking big risks at opportune times). I feel at least as good about Miami as I do about UVA ... I think we can beat that UM defense. If we can play clean, we'll have a chance to beat all 3 ACC teams left. We'll have to have something extra special to beat UGAg, like a huge defensive day. Would love to see it.

I am convinced we would benefit from two-headed monster at QB going forward, like we do at BB when we're good ... and not just this year. Playing QB in this offense is awesome but it's so taxing. When you can get a fresh guy in there who's dynamic and brings a little bit of a different skill to the table, it can really make a difference when a defense has been seeing the same thing the whole game. Like bringing in a good bullpen guy. I think we have a great chance at having that kind of situation going forward with TQM and TO this year and TO and JG next year and bringing in the two exciting looking commits we've got for later years. The future really looks good at that position. And, that, more than anything spells a lot of optimism for the future of the GT offense and trouble for our opponents. The more special we can be at the QB position, the more room for error we have to still be dominant even when we aren't perfect.

My last thought is that it's amazing to me how much one player can make such a difference to this offense. It's what CPJ says about there being such a fine margin for error with this team. We're one play, one player, one penalty, one fumble, one read, one OL call away from either being dominant or being shut down. If we have one special player, that gives us so much room for error. TO was a special player last night, though I'm not sure that's to be expected consistently. As others mentioned he was special because he could slip tackles, find creases, and especially get those couple of extra yards amidst contact - that's huge over the course of a drive/game. I can't help but wonder what we'd be with Dedrick ... that guy was a difference maker of the couple extra yards (sometimes 5 or 6) every play which makes us able to drive it down people's throats and opens up everything else. Not intending to take anything away from our guys ... that's just always been my point of intrigue with the CPJ offense. One or two difference makers take this offense to the stratosphere of effectiveness. I definitely like our OL and am excited about how good they can be. BTW, what's happened to Will Bryan?

I feel pretty good about UNC and Miami. I think we match up well against them. I don’t like the matchup with UVA as much. Their D is pretty good and as you say, Bronco will have a good scheme in play. What really worried me about uva is their QB. He’s gonna be hell to contain.

Uga....I’m withholding judgment until I see them vs Florida. Right now they look tough to beat. A fast D, very good Oline, and a ton of good skill guys.

First things first. Beat the tar holes.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I would have loved to have heard the conversation between the 2 of them after the play :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I slowed it down and zoomed in for the lip read. It got a little blurry but I’m pretty sure Braun said “Damnit Brad....hit someone or I’m gonna hit you again.” :D

All joking aside our WRs and backs did a great job blocking all night too. We just manhandled poor Hokies.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Eh, we didn’t lose in Tampa because of TM. He came in and completed a huge third and long only to have a senior Aback fumble away the coffin nail drive. Then he completed another huge third and long only to have it negated by a vet OL holding penalty.
We also did not win becuase of him. His inability to put the team on his back (Like Nesbitt, Thomas, or even Washington) is the problem... When we needed a drive at USF he threw an INT.... We are so use to CPJ QB's coming through in the clutch, Marshall's inability(2017 & 18) to do that is the issue.... He has heart for days, he is just playing out of position.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We also did not win becuase of him. His inability to put the team on his back (Like Nesbitt, Thomas, or even Washington) is the problem... When we needed a drive at USF he threw an INT.... We are so use to CPJ QB's coming through in the clutch, Marshall's inability(2017 & 18) to do that is the issue.... He has heart for days, he is just playing out of position.
The poster I was responding to said he lost us the USF game.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck

3 point stance is good for going forward in any direction. We're also in a forward leaning 3 point stance. C is in a 4 point stance, and he's basically going straight ahead forward.

If you see the teams that pass a lot, they have their guys in 2 point stances (especially at tackle), which isn't as good for pushing where the line is.

If I'm not mistaken, even on passing plays, we go forward at the start, and then get into pass protection to not tip the hand to the DL that we're passing.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I'm pretty sure when we needed a dived against USF, TQ put one together and we fumbled.
Yep and and after that drive, he had another chance.... Much like J. Thomasat Georgia in 2014.... The diffrence.... JT got us in FG reach and the PK hit the kick... Marshall Threw a INT on that drive at USF.... It is ok that he is more like Reggie Ball than Justin Thomas or Josh Nesbitt.... But whne the game is on the line, wether it is a failed 2pt conversion in 2017 or a INT in South Florida he has not been able to put the team on his back....