Virginia (Home) - ACC Weekend #6

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
You guys are much more optimistic than I am. The youth isn’t an excuse in my book. Our pitchers aren’t young. The errors haven’t been by freshmen. Those areas have been our weakness.

I hope we turn it around like Basketball did. I hope ya’ll are right and I am wrong. I have just seen this pattern......over and over again.....with Hall’s teams. Even the reliance on the HR which UVA showed is not the only way to score runs sometimes annoys me. Bunting can be effective, IF you can execute.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
You guys are much more optimistic than I am. The youth isn’t an excuse in my book. Our pitchers aren’t young. The errors haven’t been by freshmen. Those areas have been our weakness.

I hope we turn it around like Basketball did. I hope ya’ll are right and I am wrong. I have just seen this pattern......over and over again.....with Hall’s teams. Even the reliance on the HR which UVA showed is not the only way to score runs sometimes annoys me. Bunting can be effective, IF you can execute.
I was watching Wake and Louisville yesterday and the announcers said that fielding has been abysmal all over college baseball. There are some exceptions, but most every team has had defensive struggles this year. Chris Burke attributed that to players not being able to have normal practices in the fall.

Also, I would argue that the pitching is young. We really only have 7 guys who have been through a full year of college baseball and know what to expect from an ACC schedule. I mean even though Crawford is a RS-So, he was cut his first 2 years and was only able to pitch a little bit last year before the season was cut off. Chapman, Mannelly, and Huff are experienced pitchers who should be pitching better than they are and I hope they get it going. But outside of them, Hurter, Bartnicki, and Archer, we have a really young staff.

Deleted member 2897

Well... don't confuse my comment with comfort or confidence. The trend is not good. I am optimistic we have the ability to fix the problems.

I feel the same way I think. I’ve seen enough to think we can be a top 10 team. But we can lose to a lot of teams if we don’t get more consistent.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well... don't confuse my comment with comfort or confidence. The trend is not good. I am optimistic we have the ability to fix the problems.
I was watching Wake and Louisville yesterday and the announcers said that fielding has been abysmal all over college baseball. There are some exceptions, but most every team has had defensive struggles this year. Chris Burke attributed that to players not being able to have normal practices in the fall.

Also, I would argue that the pitching is young. We really only have 7 guys who have been through a full year of college baseball and know what to expect from an ACC schedule. I mean even though Crawford is a RS-So, he was cut his first 2 years and was only able to pitch a little bit last year before the season was cut off. Chapman, Mannelly, and Huff are experienced pitchers who should be pitching better than they are and I hope they get it going. But outside of them, Hurter, Bartnicki, and Archer, we have a really young staff.

Defense may suck across college baseball but we suck more than 90% of the teams.

Currently 264th of 290 teams for errors per game. http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2021/stats-def-errors-per-game

Sure I hope we get better too. But it's only a hope at this point. And our problems are with experienced players. So I'm headed for the mountains tomorrow and will probably miss the game. If that works, maybe section hike the AT for the rest of the season. (Another hope that won't happen)