Vine of Messick's Taking a Defender to the Ground

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Messick will get his shot next year. He looked comfortable hauling in one-handed passes with both hands pregame today. With Smelter and Waller completing their final year this year he'll have every opportunity to earn significant playing time next year. He definitely looks the part.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You know, I love that hit, but it's pure BS that that is a legal hit, but cracking a WR over the middle is a penalty.

The emphasis on offense, offense, offense (driven by the NFL) has really taken some of the enjoyment out of the game for me.
Not really sure what you mean by this. The DB was running full tilt right towards Messick. He tried to run through Messick and end up on his rear. Not only did he see Anthony the entire time, he was fully protected and was actually trying to inflict the pain. Turns out AM is bigger and meaner than he was. That was 100% on the DB for thinking he could out-tough a GT wide receiver.

AM is bent at the waist, square to the DB to start and then lowers his shoulder and slams the DB who's running into him full tilt. AM took maybe 5 steps from the LOS and was totally stopped when the DB made contact. it wasn't like a blind-side hit where the DB was tracking the runner in another direction and got blasted (like Smelter did). He totally either ignored or lost Messick. Not AM's fault.

turfjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not really sure what you mean by this. The DB was running full tilt right towards Messick. He tried to run through Messick and end up on his rear. Not only did he see Anthony the entire time, he was fully protected and was actually trying to inflict the pain. Turns out AM is bigger and meaner than he was. That was 100% on the DB for thinking he could out-tough a GT wide receiver.

AM is bent at the waist, square to the DB to start and then lowers his shoulder and slams the DB who's running into him full tilt. AM took maybe 5 steps from the LOS and was totally stopped when the DB made contact. it wasn't like a blind-side hit where the DB was tracking the runner in another direction and got blasted (like Smelter did). He totally either ignored or lost Messick. Not AM's fault.

I disagree with everything here. That guy got lit up and never saw it coming. He had his eyes fixed on our AB and was running downhill toward him. AM took about three steps straight down field and then takes an angle toward the oblivious Tulane player and lights him up.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I disagree with everything here. That guy got lit up and never saw it coming. He had his eyes fixed on our AB and was running downhill toward him. AM took about three steps straight down field and then takes an angle toward the oblivious Tulane player and lights him up.
I agree he never saw AM

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
You know, I love that hit, but it's pure BS that that is a legal hit, but cracking a WR over the middle is a penalty.

The emphasis on offense, offense, offense (driven by the NFL) has really taken some of the enjoyment out of the game for me.

FWIW, I agree with you. I love the hit but, to be honest, it's a borderline illegal hit because he hits him close to the helmet. If we get into a game with flag happy refs, that kind of play may even get you ejected.