Vince Dooley RIP

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
It took Dooley 20 years to win a championship. If he had coached in todays game he would have been fired before they ever did it. But he did bring Erk Russell over to UGA, then him staying a year after the 1980 championship when he was going to retire at the behest of the boosters actually lead to Georgia Southern football being born (and erk hiring a certain defensive coach he decided to make an OC), and well, we kind of benefitted from that. Dooley was a legend of the sport and truthfully UGA football would never have had any momentum to grow like it did without him.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Grew up in N Ga. Like almost everyone, I was a gagger fan back then. Dooley, although I believe far from a genius coach, always seemed to be a class act and family man who actually cared for his players

As a follow up, when I began attending GT in 1982, and I was able to see their fans from a new perspective, my mind was made rite. THWG, but RIP Coach Dooley.

GTwreck

Georgia Tech Fan
The guy won the Dodd Award in 76 i think.
When i arrived 65, he was just starting and Dodd was departing. We never beat uga in my 4 year at gt.

He had aCHARLIE BROWN LUCY and the kick the football sucker play we fell for in the 2 grant field games.
We had them back deep in their end of the field and its 3rd and short. As students we were screaming like crazy. Into the line goes the full back followed by the rb. Whoops, the full back kept running cause he didn’t block anyone. Then the qb raised up and thru a pass to the full back to flip the field.
Hat Tip - your teams played damn hard and helped to cause lots of coaches to loose their jobs.

We were at GT for the same 4 years. Thank God for Bubba Hoats, Steve Norris, Rock Perdoni, and a host of other swarming Yellow Jackets we won in 1969 6-0.

SilverFox81

Georgia Tech Fan
Grew up in N Ga. Like almost everyone, I was a gagger fan back then. Dooley, although I believe far from a genius coach, always seemed to be a class act and family man who actually cared for his players

As a follow up, when I began attending GT in 1982, and I was able to see their fans from a new perspective, my mind was made rite. THWG, but RIP Coach Dooley.
Exactly. He was a class act but that fan base can stick it.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I know we are supposed to speak well of the deceased but there is a huge elephant in the room revolving around Herschel Walker.

What’s the deal? I’m assuming you’re cryptic because explanation would devolve into politics?
If you’re talking about improprieties at that Athens institution I’d love to hear more.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What’s the deal? I’m assuming you’re cryptic because explanation would devolve into politics?
If you’re talking about improprieties at that Athens institution I’d love to hear more.
There’s no good way to discuss this.

Mr Walker has had a scandalous life and Vince Dooley extolled Walker’s virtues right up to the end of his life. Understandable, given that Walker delivered for him a national championship, but regrettable that Dooley would so prostitute himself. It is one of the main reasons I am a Tech fan. Call me naive but I just don’t believe The Institute would engage in that level of law breaking and then be forever proud of the “product they produced.”

That’s all I care to say about it.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
There’s no good way to discuss this.

Mr Walker has had a scandalous life and Vince Dooley extolled Walker’s virtues right up to the end of his life. Understandable, given that Walker delivered for him a national championship, but regrettable that Dooley would so prostitute himself. It is one of the main reasons I am a Tech fan. Call me naive but I just don’t believe The Institute would engage in that level of law breaking and then be forever proud of the “product they produced.”

That’s all I care to say about it.
Fair... I have seen all about mental illness and I’m sure there were events surrounding that. I’m not aware of law breaking going on at UGA or Dooley’s role in glossing over it afterward but it doesn’t surprise me to hear that he (and other college coaches) cover for kids who insure their paycheck.
Honestly, I’m sure a lot was covered up when it protected UGA and their program. Now that politics is at the center, everything gets thrown at the wall to see what sticks. Weird situation.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Fair... I have seen all about mental illness and I’m sure there were events surrounding that. I’m not aware of law breaking going on at UGA or Dooley’s role in glossing over it afterward but it doesn’t surprise me to hear that he (and other college coaches) cover for kids who insure their paycheck.
Honestly, I’m sure a lot was covered up when it protected UGA and their program. Now that politics is at the center, everything gets thrown at the wall to see what sticks. Weird situation.
Yep. And hence, I can say no more. Or at least until after election season is over.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Sorry for his family and friends. Seemed like a decent enough guy after he retired. I always thought he was basically a decent coach who caught lightning in a bottle for three/four years and then reverted back to the mean. Averaged 8 wins a year. Take out '80-'83 when they won 10-12 per year and he averaged about 7.5 wins a year. Similar to a Dye-ish kind of coach. Not great, but pretty good. Rode Herschel to a title. Program was dirty as noted previously. Sorry he passed, but not a fan of his former program.