Vince Dooley RIP

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Y'all might not want this here, but as an Athenian originally, I'll always have a deep respect for Coach Dooley. Went to high school with two of his kids. All around a class guy who supported our local Y football program and always involved throughout the community. Glad I got to run into him last month at mass when we were in town - just at last minute decided to go to the Catholic Center - right across from the UGA practice fields - versus St. Joseph's. Here's to hail Mary's in heaven.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Look, I hate UGA with very bone in my body. But it matter where he coached. He’s a legend on and off he field. Tomorrow will be one of the few times if not the first time ever I want UGA to win. (If they lose id still love it though)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The guy won the Dodd Award in 76 i think.
When i arrived 65, he was just starting and Dodd was departing. We never beat uga in my 4 year at gt.

He had aCHARLIE BROWN LUCY and the kick the football sucker play we fell for in the 2 grant field games.
We had them back deep in their end of the field and its 3rd and short. As students we were screaming like crazy. Into the line goes the full back followed by the rb. Whoops, the full back kept running cause he didn’t block anyone. Then the qb raised up and thru a pass to the full back to flip the field.
Hat Tip - your teams played damn hard and helped to cause lots of coaches to loose their jobs.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Y'all might not want this here, but as an Athenian originally, I'll always have a deep respect for Coach Dooley. Went to high school with two of his kids. All around a class guy who supported our local Y football program and always involved throughout the community. Glad I got to run into him last month at mass when we were in town - just at last minute decided to go to the Catholic Center - right across from the UGA practice fields - versus St. Joseph's. Here's to hail Mary's in heaven.
I live in Athens. He and Barbara attended there frequently. Shook his hand once during the segment of Mass where you greet your pew neighbors. Just turned around and there they were. I always admired them both personally, though I disagreed with both their football and their politics. Good people.

SilverFox81

Georgia Tech Fan
Look, I hate UGA with very bone in my body. But it matter where he coached. He’s a legend on and off he field. Tomorrow will be one of the few times if not the first time ever I want UGA to win. (If they lose id still love it though)
A true Tech person NEVER pulls for the mutts. I have respect for Dooley and his legacy but he's still a mutt.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
A true Tech person NEVER pulls for the mutts. I have respect for Dooley and his legacy but he's still a mutt.
I’d still LOOOOOVE it if they lose. I’m not rooting for them full on… but my heart has softened for them a bit after Dooley’s death. They deserve to win in his honor. Don’t worry about me. It’s still THWg forever and always. Come next week I’ll be back to normal.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
I’d still LOOOOOVE it if they lose. I’m not rooting for them full on… but my heart has softened for them a bit after Dooley’s death. They deserve to win in his honor. Don’t worry about me. It’s still THWg forever and always. Come next week I’ll be back to normal.
your heart is soft as baby ****

Smw357

Georgia Tech Fan
Was lucky enough to meet Coach Dooley at a Rotary event with my Old Man a few years back - he got a laugh out of asking the moderator what The Good Word was.

Bamajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Had a near encounter with Coach Dooley the day before the Tech-Ga game in 1973. The Ga football team was working out on Grant Field while we were having track practice. As we came off the turn on the track from underneath the old North stands, Coach Dooley stepped onto the track. Fortunately he quickly got out of the way, but the surprised look on his face was unforgettable.
Condolences to the Dooley family.