Various Notre Dame thoughts

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Ted Roof is doing a good job of calling defense. He is varying when he sends extra rushers, who is in coverage, and who rushes when we do send them. They can't anticipate what we are going to do, and that makes the blitzes more disruptive and not picked up as often. The key to whether this one goes to the wire or not is how well Roof does this. I doubt we'll get enough pressure with line alone. And I worry much more about hurrying the quarterback than I do run stopping. We haven't had a team run well on us in I don't even remember.

Why did PJ chose to show the a back passes and the play where the B back becomes the pitch man? We haven't run either much lately. Did he just want to see them run against live competition? Why not save them until today? Or maybe he wanted to give Van Goiter some more stuff to worry about.

The TO prep thing is interesting to contemplate. No doubt it helps a team to know what they are going to see. But then PJ has hours of Navy film and no doubt has an idea of what to expect from BVG. It will always come down to individual athletes at some point. Knowing you have the quarterback helps, but can you get your hands on JT in space? Does our blocker get a piece of the tackler, or does he avoid the block and make the tackle? You know you have the pitch man, but can you outrun Brod to the corner?

We all wondered how JT could improve over last year. Well, I think his passing accuracy has improved. Even when he misses, it isn't by much.

I am reminded myself not to panic if the offense sputters in the first half. In some of the games we love to think about from last year, it was only after PJs second half adjustments that we started to click.

I am so glad this day is finally here! Since whenever the schedule was released we have known this game is when we will know if we still have the 2014 magic.