Vanderbilt Game Thread

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
No TV for Vandy.

The zones disrupt our offense too much in my estimation. We tighten up, the PG's can't drive in the lane...feel the pressure on their shot. I won't get into the 2G's, the tweeners and post players seem taken out or the ball is forced in. If we are picking or double- screening or running different plays, I am missing it.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Played some big boy basketball today. I wish we could hit some wide open 3s, can't even get mad at the guys taking them. Just wish they'd fall. Either way, good win for the jackets today.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
REally good win for the Jackets, which they deserved. Did a lot of good things today and I'd have hated to be here talking about moral victories.

Great ratio of 14 assists to 26 makes. Strong on the boards as usual, +9, 20OReb. Also, really limited the turnovers.

On top of that, managed to keep Vandy's shooters in check, playing solid defense.

By no means was everything perfect, but a well-deserved W, given a very good effort.

ETA: Once again, the contributions came from all over the place.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Only saw the first half and the end. Wasnt confident when i left the house but the good guys pulled out a W against a team that should be in the top? 5-6? In the SEC.

We just dont play pretty basketball and shooting is our achillies heel and not in one area. Paint, mid range, deep and at the line. We did appear to tighten up on the perimeter in the first half. They hit a few threes right before the half but early on we seemed to close out a little quicker

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
First Tech basketball game I have been to in about 10 years. Happy for the win. Our guys really play hard. Our offense grinds to a halt when Jorgensen isn't in the game, and our perimeter shooting leaves something to be desired.

But defensively I think we are going to give teams trouble, and that will keep us in a lot of games. Hopefully we can make the NIT.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
this is exactly the way this team has to play this year. It simply lacks shooters who are consistent in hitting shots.
They played hard, rebounded everything and kept fighting.
I still think Travis is going to make a really good PG. He is a year away, but he has such a good feel at both ends of the court. He makes sneaky good defensive plays. Hit a couple of threes and had the big basket driving against the zone to take the lead.

if Jackson could ever get going on offense it would really help. Bolden is actually playing solid ball.

I said early in the week i thought we needed to sell out on the shooters and let their bigs get their points and that is basically what we did. I would never have guessed Vandy would make only 3 three pointers (heck GT had 4).

RamblinRed

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
The BRUISE brothers KILLED on the OFF boards.--13 between cox and Mitchell? and we had few TOs

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Played some big boy basketball today. I wish we could hit some wide open 3s, can't even get mad at the guys taking them. Just wish they'd fall. Either way, good win for the jackets today.
Pretty much sums it up.

Was able to finally watch after the game was over. A minor inconvenience to to check phone for score updates, but glad I didn't.

Overall the team played with intensity. TJorg made a couple of hard determination steals. Mitchell and Cox were/are answers to CBG prayers, Heath too.

If we can start hitting 3 pointers at a 33% or greater rate it would make a BIG difference in our '14-'15 season.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Haven't been able to watch the complete games the past 3 outings...what's going on with Heath? This year is the first time I saw him play, but looking at the box score he's not playing to the level he was earlier. Is he just regressing to the mean or is he just struggling? Notice that TJ's minutes have gone up as well and he's playing better in terms of Assists/TOs.

GT_ATL

Georgia Tech Fan
Very pleased. Not really expecting us to run any decent teams out of the building at this point, but Vandy has some pieces and we were able to control most of the game and dominate the second half. I would go so far as to say that if it turns out that Gregory is successful here, this game will have been a major inflection point in his tenure here. One of the few times we were able to beat a solid team by imposing our bruising style of play on a smooth shooting team, not by having a fluky shooting night (like last year vs Notre Dame at home) or whatever black magic let us beat Miami in 2013 and Syracuse last year. It really looked like we had the better team out there where we'd win 7/10, and it was refreshing.

• Jorgenson looked like a real player. If he can give us 85-90% of the production he showed today on a daily basis, I'd lock that in in a heartbeat.
  • Bolden finally stopped playing like he is a Buddhist priest in the midst of a 40 day fast. Actually had a motor out there.
  • I love Sampson. VERY few teams have a quality 3rd big who can stretch the court and play athletically. He seems to attract a lot of criticism and I don't see why.
  • MGH, please stop trying to shoot threes. You are a bad shooter and a borderline elite finisher when you slash. Look to slash or pass out.
  • Mitchell is a turnover machine and really needs to tighten it up.
Bonus thought: College teams get way too many timeouts. If you're going to give each team 6 or whatever, they need to decay with time. Like, each time can have no more than two timeouts after the under 4:00 tv timeout, or something. Between the intentional fouls and the timeouts, the endsof CBB games are unwatchable.
All in all, hooray. Dayton is a must win with their roster depletion.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Vandy is a decent team and our guys played very well in the second half to pull this game into the win column. The first half was about as bad as I have seen them play, so it was a nice turnaround.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
What I wouldn't give to see a couple of guys actually get their shooting touch and help this team (Bolden and Jackson).

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If MGH cannot establish his jumpshot as a credible threat, the driving lanes will be impossible. He actually has a nice looking shot and the range is not that different than where he's quite comfortable. I think he is forcing the shot late in the 35 second count and not taking it in the normal flow of the game.[/QUOTE]

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
If MGH cannot establish his jumpshot as a credible threat, the driving lanes will be impossible. He actually has a nice looking shot and the range is not that different than where he's quite comfortable. I think he is forcing the shot late in the 35 second count and not taking it in the normal flow of the game.
[/QUOTE]

He doesn't seem to elevate much on his jumper and he appears to hold it a bit too long IMHO. His jumper looks different this year than years prior.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
This was a big, credible win for the Jackets. They looked like a solid team against Vandy: passing well, defending well, and rebounding very well. Now if they could only shoot well...

8-2, baby! Keep it up, Basket Jackets!