Vad Lee's Ceiling

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
I was reading through the Top 5 Players post and I was surprised to see Vad so low or not even on the list. I would like to get yalls opinion about how high you think Vads ceiling is and why some of you doubt his potential to be the best player on the field because I believe he is going to carry this team and put up monster numbers. Not to mention he can throw the ball on a dime.

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
I didn't post on the top 5 player subject. However, my guess as to why Vad isn't being mentioned is that there is some doubt as to who ultimately wins the starting QB job. Justin is going to give him some good competition. I love the potential of both our young QB's.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I was reading through the Top 5 Players post and I was surprised to see Vad so low or not even on the list. I would like to get yalls opinion about how high you think Vads ceiling is and why some of you doubt his potential to be the best player on the field because I believe he is going to carry this team and put up monster numbers. Not to mention he can throw the ball on a dime.

Eric left it an open-ended thing for how each of us ranked the players. I would have had Vad in my top 5 if I included "potential" as one of the items I used to rank them. Vad still has a lot to prove in my mind.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Haha ya some of y'all did..but I agree with all of y'all's opinions he hasn't really proved anything yet but the times he was in he made some sick plays. Revisit this page in about two months then see if you have him in your top 5

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
He has a heck of an arm, but he needs to learn when not to use it. I'm really hopeful about that and he is an incredibly vocal leader which I like and think we've been lacking for a long time.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Haha ya some of y'all did..but I agree with all of y'all's opinions he hasn't really proved anything yet but the times he was in he made some sick plays. Revisit this page in about two months then see if you have him in your top 5

My biggest concern with Vad is actually not with Vad himself but the rest of the team.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Vad has too high expectation for people to "hope" for a breakout year. He does not have enough experience to rate him a top player.

I want him to have a breakout year that exceeds his already high expectations and rate our number 1 player for 2014. That is a tall order for a 1st year start.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
He wasn't high on my list because people are expecting him to perform. I think those expectations are a little high for a sophomore and first time starter, but those expectations are there regardless.

If you desire an excellent read on Vad, check out this award winning article on Hillside's first State Championship team lead by Vad. It's very inspirational and highlights exactly what I love about the kid. As far as potential, I believe he has Heisman potential, but he has to learn how to play the game.
http://reesenews.org/2010/12/14/the-hillside-journey-part-6/7643/
http://reesenews.org/2010/11/16/the-hillside-journey-part-2/5683/

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I was rating players by where I think they are now, not where I think they will be in the future. Finch, Attaochu, Jemea, Golden, Watts and Sims are all on watch lists. So, that's a place to start. Jabari came on so strong in the last couple of weeks you have to look at him, and Nealey has been strong for the last couple of years. I think Vad's got a higher ceiling than either Joshua or Tevin, but I don't expect him to play at that level yet this year. We'll see.

xenoabe

Jolly Good Fellow
He wasn't high on my list because people are expecting him to perform. I think those expectations are a little high for a sophomore and first time starter, but those expectations are there regardless.

If you desire an excellent read on Vad, check out this award winning article on Hillside's first State Championship team lead by Vad. It's very inspirational and highlights exactly what I love about the kid. As far as potential, I believe he has Heisman potential, but he has to learn how to play the game.

I get the first time starter part, but at the same time this is his 3rd year in the system and he played a significant portion of last year. He's not coming in as a true freshman that hasn't been there at all.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He is not coming in as a true freshman as you state. We all see Vad's potential, but he was not able to clearly and undeniably beat out Tevin for the starting job in the last game of the season. If he could have done that, Vad would be seen as a top player. To some small degree he is taking over by default in the absence of Tevin.

Vad has a chance and is working very hard to be that top player in 2013. His ceiling is very high, but he must reach it and dominate out on the field of play to earn the reputation.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
I get the first time starter part, but at the same time this is his 3rd year in the system and he played a significant portion of last year. He's not coming in as a true freshman that hasn't been there at all.

Thank you my point exactly

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck

Really nice articles. Thank you very much for posting those. I had never seen them before this.

xenoabe

Jolly Good Fellow
He is not coming in as a true freshman as you state. We all see Vad's potential, but he was not able to clearly and undeniably beat out Tevin for the starting job in the last game of the season. If he could have done that, Vad would be seen as a top player. To some small degree he is taking over by default in the absence of Tevin.

Vad has a chance and is working very hard to be that top player in 2013. His ceiling is very high, but he must reach it and dominate out on the field of play to earn the reputation.

This is totally my opinion, but I think Vad had beat Tevin out. Tevin made better reads but Vad had a much bigger chance for an electric play. Watching them last year I saw Vad make several throws I don't think Tevin had the ability to complete. I think Tevin was a popular guy with his teammates and CPJ was trying to ride a line without pissing a bunch of his players off.

Ramblin Wrecker

Jolly Good Fellow
From what I gather, CPJ isn't one to make decisions based on fear of backlash, especially from his own players. I also think that, like you said, Tevin made better reads, which I think is much more valuable to CPJ than a QB making electric plays.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
OK a redshirt sophomore who is still a first time starter and only experienced limited playing time. Not everyone is Johnny Manziel that can go out there their first year and dominate. Some players take time and seasoning before they reach their college peaks, Joe Hamilton comes to mind, Tajh Boyd, ect. The point is that we don't know what we have in Vad, yet.