Vad Lee Interview on 790 the Zone

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
This interview had so many telling remarks:

1 - Vad kept mentioning the word "fun". He wanted to have fun again and play in an offense where he could have fun.

2 - "They have their system"

3 - Came to GT expecting CPJ to expand the offense. "Just wasn't showing when I was there"

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
This interview had so many telling remarks:

1 - Vad kept mentioning the word "fun". He wanted to have fun again and play in an offense where he could have fun.

2 - "They have their system"

3 - Came to GT expecting CPJ to expand the offense. "Just wasn't showing when I was there"

Regarding #3, it's hard to expand the offense when the QB can't run the base offense.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
To paraphrase:

"I throw 4 TD Passes against Duke and we win and he say's that's not our way" (c) Vad

Wow.

DallasBuzzFan

Georgia Tech Fan
Basically at the end he said that if the QB, BB and wide receivers was as good as Nesbitt, Dwyer and BayBay, they could win ACC championships. Well at least he included himself as an issue.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I can't listen to the interview at work, but I read a summary of what was said. Sounds like the radio guys were trying to get Vad to trash Coach. Even though he was diplomatic and didn't completely trash him, it still seems like he thinks PJ somehow handcuffed the team on purpose just to run the option. I just can't understand this. Maybe because I am a coach and will do whatever it takes to win and have had players not understand this. Coaches want to WIN. And if you know your best chance of winning is being able to run your base offense before you start slinging it around, then that's what you do! What worked against UGAg in the first half didn't work in the second half! And had we been able to run the base, we cruise to victory in that game. Just frustrating...

xenoabe

Jolly Good Fellow
Basically at the end he said that if the QB, BB and wide receivers was as good as Nesbitt, Dwyer and BayBay, they could win ACC championships. Well at least he included himself as an issue.
Our biggest issue there was at BB IMO. Sims and Laskey are solid players but not playmakers. We rarely established a legitimate threat up the middle so teams would often send more guys to the outside and then it became a numbers game that we were losing.

Animal02

Banned
Our biggest issue there was at BB IMO. Sims and Laskey are solid players but not playmakers. We rarely established a legitimate threat up the middle so teams would often send more guys to the outside and then it became a numbers game that we were losing.

Our biggest problem was we had a double option, Dive or pitch. For the most part, the QB keeping the ball and gaining yards was not an option all season. The fact that Vad thought he had the "run portion down" just shows he was never really into the system.

DallasBuzzFan

Georgia Tech Fan
He also mentioned that when they played teams with grown men ready for the NFL caused problems. Basically he says exactly what we already knew. We need the line play to get better (More Nasty) and our BB to be a game breaker. I think Custis could fix that. I also think Anthony Autry will stretch the field along with Smelter.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
Obviously we would rather not be dealing with our starting QB transferring and all of the bad press the media gives us. However, I will say that Vad is a classy kid. He could have completely thrown CPJ and GT under the bus, but I think he did a good job of not doing that and still voicing his opinion. Both parties are probably better off, but I hate to see him go.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
These guys seem to be pushing an anti-CPJ agenda hard from the outset. Mentioned Coach saying that Vad had "missed some reads" and that the option was "not being run like he wanted," and then basically asked if he was mad that CPJ would call him out like that in public. Then said he must have a great relationship with the fans and tried to get him to contrast that with how bad a relationship he had with coach. Vad wouldn't admit that he had a bad relationship with CPJ, but it sounds like it wasn't great either (for sure). But as far as the fan base v. CPJ, I would have to say that CPJ consistently defended Vad publically against fan/media criticism FAR more than he ever called him out in public. To try to push the interview to the contrary is trolling to me.

I thought CPJ was very very fair with Vad when it was all said and done. He gave him every opportunity in 2012 and probably more than he deserved in 2013 (given that most folks feel JT should have gotten more reps). He did try to open the offense up for him, but Vad was never able to get the base offense part of it. Sounds like CPJ and Vad simply disagreed about that. As I have said before, this is probably a good decision by all parties.

In the end, nice interview by Vad. Good kid. He refused to say bad things about CPJ or GT. "Had no regrets." Just frustrated that the guys doing the interview seemed to be trying to push an agenda instead of figuring out what happened.

DallasBuzzFan

Georgia Tech Fan
Our biggest problem was we had a double option, Dive or pitch. For the most part, the QB keeping the ball and gaining yards was not an option all season. The fact that Vad thought he had the "run portion down" just shows he was never really into the system.
Vad couldn't run the option period. We only ran a BB dive or a toss sweep. When JFN, BayBay and JD was here the option was a thing of beauty, If (Thats a big if) we can get JT to run the option as smooth as JFN we will be good if we can get the line to block. Idon't have any doubt that JT can throw the ball as good as JFN did. I think if I'm not mistaken, Vad's completion percentage was worse than both Tevin and JFN. If it wasn't, it sure wasn't much better. Vad only had 1 or 2 runs of 20+ yards. That's terrible in this offense.

DallasBuzzFan

Georgia Tech Fan
Obviously we would rather not be dealing with our starting QB transferring and all of the bad press the media gives us. However, I will say that Vad is a classy kid. He could have completely thrown CPJ and GT under the bus, but I think he did a good job of not doing that and still voicing his opinion. Both parties are probably better off, but I hate to see him go.
You couldn't ask for a better kid or a more polite kid. He was always great to GT fans. I have several pictures of him with my kids. He seems to be just a great person.

AnotherBee

Georgia Tech Fan
I've heard coach say more than once that if he thought he could win by throwing it 30 times a game, he'd do that. I just don't believe that he would. I have always thought that while he is a fierce competitor who hates to lose, he hates being wrong a little bit more. He will never open up the offense past adding some plays here and there as it takes too many reps to get the Flexbone/3O perfected and there just aren't enough reps remaining to do anything else.

I've often wondered if one of the failings of CPJ's offense at this level isn't that people figure it out, but that the margin for error in running it where it is effective is simply too small. It is just so difficult to learn and is dependent on all players doing their job perfectly. One missed block on the O-Line of a missed read basically end the play unless you have extreme talent at your ball-handling positions. Having a Dwyer or Nesbit makes the execution more fault-tolerant.

Animal02

Banned
I've heard coach say more than once that if he thought he could win by throwing it 30 times a game, he'd do that. I just don't believe that he would. I have always thought that while he is a fierce competitor who hates to lose, he hates being wrong a little bit more. He will never open up the offense past adding some plays here and there as it takes too many reps to get the Flexbone/3O perfected and there just aren't enough reps remaining to do anything else.

I've often wondered if one of the failings of CPJ's offense at this level isn't that people figure it out, but that the margin for error in running it where it is effective is simply too small. It is just so difficult to learn and is dependent on all players doing their job perfectly. One missed block on the O-Line of a missed read basically end the play unless you have extreme talent at your ball-handling positions. Having a Dwyer or Nesbit makes the execution more fault-tolerant.

One missed block / read blah blah blah.....that is true of ANY offense. I have heard so many ridiculous complaints about CPJ and his offense over the last few years......can't get a good defense because they practice against the TO, etc. etc. The fact of the matter is when the QB doesn't have his head in the game, no matter no matter what you do, you are not going to get the desired results.