Vad at Elite 11 QB Counselor Challenge

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Thanks peesonpups!

Just so you know, a few years ago a poster on Stingtalk used to link to Southern Pigskin stories about GT. He'd post the link with only "Pretty Good Look" as his comment. So, for the last few years, "Pretty Good Look" has become a somewhat sarcastic, dismissive post on stingtalk. So, I was wondering if you were using it in this way to say, "meh," or meant it as actually appreciative.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
They were calling out points earned in the last video if you care to go back and listen. Remember, Vad is coming into his first year as a starter versus many of the other QB's present.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Those videos honestly gave me a reality check as far as my expectations of Vad Lee this year. He looked like he was struggling a bit. I've been very optimistic based on the predictably positive offseason news and also with the changing of the guard at QB, but I have to say I expected more. To top it off at one point in the second video I think it could be inferred that Vad was last overall cumulatively in the drills.

All that said here are my disclaimers and reasons I could very easily be wrong -
- Vad is being compared to Heisman candidates
- Vad was doing drills (all passing, different dropbacks) that aren't necessarily prerequisites to executing our offense well
- I didn't watch all 40 minutes of the videos
- I never played organized football and do not profess to be an expert, though I've been glued to the TV on Saturdays since I was 5

I'm interested to hear if anyone thinks this is a over-analysis or if my observations are completely off base.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I believe he finished ahead of Teddy Bridgewater and anotheer QB who I didnt recognize.

the order as I heard it:
matt stafford looking guy
tahj biyd
coach
manziel
vad

Ramblin Wrecker

Jolly Good Fellow
The beauty of being a fan is that we are entitled to make huge conjecture based on a very small sample size.Cede all over-analyze... It's all we have.

I also felt that Vad might have been in over his head while watching these, especially based on some of the comments by coaches, but after all 40 min, he had just as many "wow" reactions as any of the others. Big picture- our sophomore, First year starter can throw almost as well as the best in the country, and he can damn sure run the triple option better than all of them. I'll take it.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The beauty of being a fan is that we are entitled to make huge conjecture based on a very small sample size.Cede all over-analyze... It's all we have.

I also felt that Vad might have been in over his head while watching these, especially based on some of the comments by coaches, but after all 40 min, he had just as many "wow" reactions as any of the others. Big picture- our sophomore, First year starter can throw almost as well as the best in the country, and he can damn sure run the triple option better than all of them. I'll take it.

+1

UrinatesOnDawgs

Georgia Tech Fan
Thanks peesonpups!

Just so you know, a few years ago a poster on Stingtalk used to link to Southern Pigskin stories about GT. He'd post the link with only "Pretty Good Look" as his comment. So, for the last few years, "Pretty Good Look" has become a somewhat sarcastic, dismissive post on stingtalk. So, I was wondering if you were using it in this way to say, "meh," or meant it as actually appreciative.

Not being a "meh" guy, Enjoyed the videos. I like seeing stuff like that, makes the days leading up to the season a little shorter.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Tahj Boyd has ridiculous talent and is great at doing what he is told, his problem comes in game situations when he needs to make a real decision. Good thing for us is he has Dabo making the play calls. He'd be a juggernaut with a coach who knew how to call plays

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Those videos honestly gave me a reality check as far as my expectations of Vad Lee this year. He looked like he was struggling a bit. I've been very optimistic based on the predictably positive offseason news and also with the changing of the guard at QB, but I have to say I expected more. To top it off at one point in the second video I think it could be inferred that Vad was last overall cumulatively in the drills.

All that said here are my disclaimers and reasons I could very easily be wrong -
- Vad is being compared to Heisman candidates
- Vad was doing drills (all passing, different dropbacks) that aren't necessarily prerequisites to executing our offense well
- I didn't watch all 40 minutes of the videos
- I never played organized football and do not profess to be an expert, though I've been glued to the TV on Saturdays since I was 5

I'm interested to hear if anyone thinks this is a over-analysis or if my observations are completely off base.

I watched all the videos and Vad slipped up here and there but there were also alot of sequences where Vad probably did the best out of the group..he got some oohs and awes by some people on some throws.. BrainBridge Jackets list is legit

BerryGT

Georgia Tech Fan
Tahj Boyd has ridiculous talent and is great at doing what he is told, his problem comes in game situations when he needs to make a real decision. Good thing for us is he has Dabo making the play calls. He'd be a juggernaut with a coach who knew how to call plays

Dabo doesn't call plays, his OC Chad Kelly does. I believe he jumped from the HS ranks fairly recently ala Malzaln. Same system too.

BerryGT

Georgia Tech Fan

+1

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I think I read that all the counselors were the QBs that participated in the Whitfield QB academy. I didn't recognize some of the other guys that were part of the challenge but Vad hasn't even started a game for us yet. So playing time wise, Vad has got ways to go and in fact has the time to get there. I've got high expectations for Vad based on what I saw last season but as this season progresses, we will all get a better look at Vad in all types of situations. That is one of the items that I'm most looking forward to this season.

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Not sure about you guys but it sounded like as if Vad had just gotten there. Like HE JUST GOT OFF THE PLANE and barely got there in time to be out there. After Vad ran through the first drill, it sounded like as if one of the coaches told Vad to warm up a bit.

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Any hoot, the fact that Vad is out there competing and trying to learn as much as he can on his own dime/time, tells me all I need to know about our starting QB. Our offense is in good hands folks.