Va Tech - ACC Weekend #8

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Do you know why he didn’t pitch for a month? I really feel like there is so much more to the story than we know about. Unless you’ve been a college coach/pro coach, I don’t think you can fully comprehend all that is going on behind the scenes or why certain choices are being made. To my knowledge they are only allowed to take 27 kids on the road....less than half of that number being pitchers. You have to imagine they have to be very cautious and methodical in their choices of who to bring out each inning with it being a 3 game series on the road. Maybe they left Huff in for a specific reason we don’t know about. These men are in their positions for a reason. Let’s trust they know what they are doing. Instead of trying to comment and coach from the sidelines, let’s let them do their job without condemning their choices. We may not like their record or the outcome of each game, but that’s any sport and that’s baseball. Give the kids and coaches a chance after coming off a shutdown Covid year...give development a chance. Greatness doesn’t happen overnight. Let’s cheer them all on instead of trying to breakdown every bit we don’t like.

Based on past results, I trust that our fielding will come around as will our hitting. Also based on past results, our pitching probably will not. Hopefully this year will be different.

You are right that every situation is different. It's the decade trend that I base my comments on.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Bright note of the day: Austin comes in the 8th with one out after Chapman loads bases on three walks. Austin only gives up one run.

Rest sucks. Good Ole Slow Hook didn't want to develop any more pitching.

Another bright spot is that we have a better winning percentage on the road (9-5 road versus 7-9 home ). So we don't want to host.

Tomorrow is a new day for our bipolar team. Wiley said that the VT starter may not be available so maybe we can win the series. Didn't waste any runs in today's loss.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Wiley brought up the Huff hasn’t pitched for a month yesterday, not me. Wiley and other on TV and Radio commented on the bullpen performance. So the finger your pointing needs to point to a lot more folks.

We also haven’t tried everyone available across the 27 on the road or the 43 at home. Multiple commentators have expressed the same and that we’re all waiting for someone to step up. I do know a little bit about pitching, rotations, and recovery.

We’re also commenting on program improvement and depth. We have the talent. Jenkins and grenkowski also pitch as do some other we haven’t seen this season. I’m also supportive of the staff and know DBo didn’t recruit any of these arms but Huff and Medich. Gotta work with whatcha got.

Not sure I follow the Covid off season comment given they’ve all been back on campus and in the pitching lab since August....

We’re all cheering and rooting for Yellow Jacket success but unless you haven’t watched a single series or games this year with again, not my words, “subpar bull pen or fielding”, you would share more in the “we can do a lot better” camp.

Together We Swarm

NW GA JACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
Can’t wait til next years class of pitchers gets here. I’m eager to see them and what DBo can do with them. You sure have high expectations and rightfully so, but they still haven’t thrown an inning in college. Most all of these guys played high level travel also. It’s not the same , you have your opinion, and I have mine. Yes, most will succeed, but no guarantees, just like 1st rounders in any draft of any sport. I’m with you tho, TOGETHER WE SWARM

Sportsfan!

Georgia Tech Fan
Wiley brought up the Huff hasn’t pitched for a month yesterday, not me. Wiley and other on TV and Radio commented on the bullpen performance. So the finger your pointing needs to point to a lot more folks.

We also haven’t tried everyone available across the 27 on the road or the 43 at home. Multiple commentators have expressed the same and that we’re all waiting for someone to step up. I do know a little bit about pitching, rotations, and recovery.

We’re also commenting on program improvement and depth. We have the talent. Jenkins and grenkowski also pitch as do some other we haven’t seen this season. I’m also supportive of the staff and know DBo didn’t recruit any of these arms but Huff and Medich. Gotta work with whatcha got.

Not sure I follow the Covid off season comment given they’ve all been back on campus and in the pitching lab since August....

We’re all cheering and rooting for Yellow Jacket success but unless you haven’t watched a single series or games this year with again, not my words, “subpar bull pen or fielding”, you would share more in the “we can do a lot better” camp.

Together We Swarm
My bad for making you feel I was pointing my finger at you...truly an overall observance and I saw your post comments last. I’m just trying to back our players and coaches in an uplifting way. As far as the Covid comment, these boys didn’t play in a full season competitive atmosphere last year getting in their innings/pitches/hits. They only played 16 out of 56 regular season games before being shut down In early March. Being back in the pitching lab since August is a totally different atmosphere physically/mentally than in actual competitive game situations. Most of these pitchers are pitching more then they have in two years. Who knows the true physical and mental toll it could be taking. But yes, are they capable of doing better, of course, and I believe they definitely can! I’m just going to cheer them all on (like you obviously do as well) in good games and bad games, and realize the coaches know a heck of a lot more than I do, and that we aren’t privy to all the details behind the scenes.

Last edited:

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
@gtrower Did you attempt to get tickets into game? ...or just decide to setup shop outside?

Went in Friday night for a few innings. They literally just waved us in for free. Saturday we were planning to tailgate but got there a bit late after some morning golf so we decided to just post up outside with cheaper beer/food and a good view from behind the fence. Not sure if we’re gonna stick around for today’s game or not with the 4 hour drive back to DC looming.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Went in Friday night for a few innings. They literally just waved us in for free. Saturday we were planning to tailgate but got there a bit late after some morning golf so we decided to just post up outside with cheaper beer/food and a good view from behind the fence. Not sure if we’re gonna stick around for today’s game or not with the 4 hour drive back to DC looming.
Color me jealous. I was too chicken to make long-ish trip from Fredericksburg... scared I wouldn't get in with their advertised ticket policy.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Color me jealous. I was too chicken to make long-ish trip from Fredericksburg... scared I wouldn't get in with their advertised ticket policy.

Yeah we probably wouldn’t have made the drive just for the series. Have some friends down here and some others with a sibling at VPI so they made the drive up from atl. Called ahead on Friday and they said they haven’t been filling up their 1,000 fan capacity. Although they might have yesterday.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My bad for making you feel I was pointing my finger at you...truly an overall observance and I saw your post comments last. I’m just trying to back our players and coaches in an uplifting way. As far as the Covid comment, these boys didn’t play in a full season competitive atmosphere last year getting in their innings/pitches/hits. They only played 16 out of 56 regular season games before being shut down In early March. Being back in the pitching lab since August is a totally different atmosphere physically/mentally than in actual competitive game situations. Most of these pitchers are pitching more then they have in two years. Who knows the true physical and mental toll it could be taking. But yes, are they capable of doing better, of course, and I believe they definitely can! I’m just going to cheer them all on (like you obviously do as well) in good games and bad games, and realize the coaches know a heck of a lot more than I do, and that we aren’t privy to all the details behind the scenes.

Agree that because of COVID, that DBo hasn't had as much opportunity to work with the players. With the new facilities and more access, I expect we'll see improvement next year. Plus we we have our best pitching class in a long time. Till then, we are largely where we were pitching wise before DBo.

Deleted member 2897

Baseball is a unique sport. Win today, and we’ve won three of our last four ACC games and we would probably all feel that we are playing reasonably good baseball again. Lose, and we’ve lost yet another series and the swoon continues. 🤷‍♂️🤪

THWG

Helluva Engineer
HUGE SERIES WIN!!!! We desperately needed that and the pitchers were awesome today. Smith was solid and has pitched well over his last 3 outings. Maxwell had a rough first inning, but was dominance after that and Grissom was really good. That was a huge win without our ace.