#UWiscy (not our kind) coming to town Wed 9:15 EST tip

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
My thoughts exactly. Usher had a bad shooting game, but Sturdivant, Deebo and Kelly were 0-6 from the floor. Deebo and Kelly are the keys as we need some scoring from the wing.Have to keep bringing them along. Would have loved to try and get Deebo that look that usher got.

Smith has had his ups and downs but I like his energy at PG, just has to stay grounded.
When we get bubba back 100% we will have more options for him going balls out.

If Howard added any sort of jump shot he would score 10+ per game. Guys run away from him at 10 feet. No threat at all. Love his d though.
The FAA is the only group that can keep him grounded!

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Just back from the game. Geez… it’s 1AM. Anyway, great game. That was fun! Such a gut punch that we couldn’t get the W, but like others have said, I think it bodes well that we played right with a good top 25 team. If Davidson doesn’t go unconscious and score 9 in a row, we probably win. If Usher doesn’t go 2-7 we probably win. If Howard doesn’t go 2-7 we probably win. AND… if STEVE didn’t totally screw us over and over all night long we definitely win. Am I right?

P.s. not sure if the ref’s name was really Steve, but that “you suck ref” chant was on point, and then when it morphed into “you suck Steve” or “Steve you suck” that was next level.

The student section was overflowing and they were great. The rest of the crowd was pretty good too. I hope the loss doesn’t discourage fans from supporting this team. Attendance was 6300. We need 2300 more there on Sunday to fill McCamish to the rafters for unc.

LET’S GO TECH!!!
It'll be filled with many wearing blue. Just like our UGa friends, uNC doesn't mind buying our season tickets to see their team and also get ACC Tournament tickets.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
The Wisconsin players looked like they were a fish out of water... flopping all over the place

dying fish out of water GIF by Bare Tree Media
Some of them were flopping on their way out of the water.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
The two fouls called late on Howard right after he hands of the ball and the defender hits him from behind. are those called because the ref thinks Howard moved into the defender? Also, late when Devoe got the defender up and took the three point shot so the defender fell into his legs, is that a foul or not? I see some refs call that and some do not. Thanks!
From what I saw they called fouls on Howard when he turned his back on the defender to hand off the ball I don’t claim to know the rule but that seemed to be the issue. If it is simply all picks must be done face on then that is a fixable issue. If that isn’t the rule then the refs ****ed up

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
This.

And also Deebo should be setting the backscreen on spain PnR (we FINALLY started running this in the last 2 games... only a couple times, but damn it is loaded with potential for us and fits what we already do with roll/replace. Mike attacking off the high ball screen, 5-man rolling, Deebo setting the back screen for the roller and then popping. If the back screener is a deadly shooter (and can drive off a shot fake after the pop and catch), it's very difficult to defend.

Dammit, now you got me going and I'm gonna want to write a full analysis of our new offensive stuff this year -- which I LOVE compared to last year... Pastner has added some stuff that aligns with and fits into our existing systems while providing more diversity and simultaneously being tailored to our players strengths. I love it.
I would love to see this. I wasn’t happy with what I saw with the set having Devoe and Devion working around Howard with Coleman and Usher sitting in the corner waiting for the pass. Deebo in particular didn’t seem to know what to do to get involved and didn’t have much impact. My issues were everything was hard and we didn’t do anything really to get switches off of Devoe or anything to get Devoe or usher an easy shot

If everything is grinding through Devoe that is easy for acc coaches to see coming

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
I would love to see this. I wasn’t happy with what I saw with the set having Devoe and Devion working around Howard with Coleman and Usher sitting in the corner waiting for the pass. Deebo in particular didn’t seem to know what to do to get involved and didn’t have much impact. My issues were everything was hard and we didn’t do anything really to get switches off of Devoe or anything to get Devoe or usher an easy shot

If everything is grinding through Devoe that is easy for acc coaches to see coming
1. i was surprised by how much pastner was calling stuff for deivon. i know a lot of swarmers here love him because of his electric atheticism - i do too - but imo that doesnt necessarily mean he is a "go to" yet. it looked to me like pastner was really confident/comfortable with calling stuff for deivon to go get buckets.

2. imo, your last point about ACC coaches and our reliance on mike is the million dollar question. (that said, wisconsin is superbly coached and very tough on defense... and mike was doing it in a variety of ways. it was not just a hot shooting night for mike. he dissected that **** and hurt them in almost every way possible. even the last play when he drove and found ush for the weakside kickout was a fantastic play from mike.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I have no argument that Devoe had a monster game. He did a lot better against an NBA body than I ever expected. Full credit. It did seem that when we ran the return to Devoe Howard went off to the side and gave Devoe his left hand to work

Devion got multiple open shots from 12 feet that he either didn’t tak or didn’t make. He over committed more than I have fingers and toes but Pastner must think he is going to knock down the 12 footer consistently.

I have just skimmed your other post and want to get into it in more depth - and I am not a Princeton expert - but my understanding of the offense involves the wings more than just looking for corner kick outs. Will go look that up. But given the opposing 5 is constructing a camp site in the lane there isn’t much of a rational for any corner defender to help to give Coleman a kick out.

Again I am not a Princeton expert but the 3 man motion to me looked like more of an NBA variant than a Princeton variant but I can be way wrong. Need to go do a bit of research. But regardless I do like the other post

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Some of you need to relax about the future team. Earlier last year, people were criticizing Devoe, and look what he is doing. Look what happened between Moses’ freshman year and senior year. CJP’s message of “get old, stay old” makes sense. Our coaches have done very well at developing talent. We have some really talented young men on this team. Only time will tell how they develop. Enjoy the ride with the older guys, and look forward to the potential of the future.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good analogy on the 8/9 comment. One of the refs last night was Pat Driscoll, and every hard-core Badger fan knows his name - he was one of the refs in the national championship game against Duke in 2015, and his calls were, um, "impactful", in that outcome. I don't have the data, but UW tends to fare worse in games where he (or another hated one, Bo Boroski) is refereeing. Last night did seem like an exception in that regard (though the fouls were only different by 2).
Hah.. I went to high school with Bo Borowski. He was known as Craig back then...Good dude, but he was a baseball player, never even saw him play pick-up basketball.

Good for him though, he has reached the top of food chain in terms of NCAA ref's.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
I have no argument that Devoe had a monster game. He did a lot better against an NBA body than I ever expected. Full credit. It did seem that when we ran the return to Devoe Howard went off to the side and gave Devoe his left hand to work

Devion got multiple open shots from 12 feet that he either didn’t tak or didn’t make. He over committed more than I have fingers and toes but Pastner must think he is going to knock down the 12 footer consistently.

I have just skimmed your other post and want to get into it in more depth - and I am not a Princeton expert - but my understanding of the offense involves the wings more than just looking for corner kick outs. Will go look that up. But given the opposing 5 is constructing a camp site in the lane there isn’t much of a rational for any corner defender to help to give Coleman a kick out.

Again I am not a Princeton expert but the 3 man motion to me looked like more of an NBA variant than a Princeton variant but I can be way wrong. Need to go do a bit of research. But regardless I do like the other post
you could be entirely correct about the 3-man middle game. as i said in the other post, idk. it starts with the same look (PG feeding the 5 at the elbow) but maybe thats just to disguise it a bit? i beleive i have seen a few times when it broke down and mike could not get what he wanted out of it and it "flowed" into regular princeton tho. but the core "action" of it may not have anything to do with real/traditional princeton as it might just be something pastner wanted to do for mike and to make teams pay for sagging off howard (and therefore out of position for helping/hedging on mike when gets that curl handoff). either way, mike is doing real damage on that set, and doing it in every way possible. drives, pullups, stepbacks, assists inside, assists on kickouts, drawing fouls, etc. whatever it is, i love it.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I don't think so. I think that Kelly and Coleman will become very good scorers. I especially like that Kelly can take it to the rim as well. Deebo is going to be an animal when he gets comfortable in his skin. It's going to take both of them a little time.

Sturdivant has shown to have a nice intermediate game. His stop and pop will be very effective. If Smith can improve that part of his game (as others have said), he'll be very dangerous with his speed. With us not having anyone in the Class of '22 yet, I'd not be surprised if we don't bring in a grad transfer or upperclassman transfer to stabilize the team. I don't think we'll have a problem at all, but that's next year's worry. I'm still enjoying watching these guys grow as a team.
I'm glad you are happy with what we have but the tallest guy you mention is 6-6 maybe and isn't prone to rebounding.We need a 6-8 225 stud who can defend bigs and reb as well as score some.I don't him see
here and without such a guy we are hurting next yr. Either that or hit 50% of shots always., Lotsaluck.. (could be grad transfer but until he shows-if he shows. --Big problems.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm glad you are happy with what we have but the tallest guy you mention is 6-6 maybe and isn't prone to rebounding.We need a 6-8 225 stud who can defend bigs and reb as well as score some.I don't him see
here and without such a guy we are hurting next yr. Either that or hit 50% of shots always., Lotsaluck.. (could be grad transfer but until he shows-if he shows. --Big problems.
Meka, Howard, Gigi. They'll all be a year older, a year more top-notch coaching. Jalon Moore.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Meka, Howard, Gigi. They'll all be a year older, a year more top-notch coaching. Jalon Moore.

You are aware that we just got ZERO pts from the 5 position?? .ZERO.NONE--that is terrible and nobody can win in our league doing that. Will be a yr older? what about now? btw-At this rate they might total 7 pts a game maybe --with average defense at the position...
Losing by 17 AT HOME is not good-- if you think you have a good team..

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You are aware that we just got ZERO pts from the 5 position?? .ZERO.NONE--that is terrible and nobody can win in our league doing that. Will be a yr older? what about now? btw-At this rate they might total 7 pts a game maybe --with average defense at the position...
Losing by 17 AT HOME is not good-- if you think you have a good team..
We weren't talking about now, we were talking about next year.

Right now, we don't need points from the 5. We need rebounds and defensive stops. There's plenty of offense from the other 4 positions. Besides, you are aware of how many games we have had ZERO points from the 5 position this year, right? That's right, just the 1 you're pointing out. Forget the other 7 games, they don't matter.

3 Losses: 12, 9, 0 from the 5-spot. That's not the reason we lost.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
We weren't talking about now, we were talking about next year.

Right now, we don't need points from the 5. We need rebounds and defensive stops. There's plenty of offense from the other 4 positions. Besides, you are aware of how many games we have had ZERO points from the 5 position this year, right? That's right, just the 1 you're pointing out. Forget the other 7 games, they don't matter.

3 Losses: 12, 9, 0 from the 5-spot. That's not the reason we lost.
It didn't help.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It didn't help.
Much more interested in rebounds and defensive stops from the 5 spot than points. Any points we get from the 5 is gravy. We should be able to generate enough scoring from the other 4 positions that we don't need to rely on the bigs to score. We need them to rebound and stop opposing big men first and foremost.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
This year the 5 spot is the 5th option on offense and that is fine. Howard/Saba will get the points generated for them by others, and maybe a put back or two.

Offensively the UNC game the problem was missed shots. We started out 5-5 and then went 1-11 the rest of the way with a lot of good missed open looks. If we make even 3 more of those then we score 69, and we also had a couple of other close in misses as well. We need to shoot better. UNC was playing two bigs and it would be hard to get anything from the 5 spot so there was no reason to force it. If the issue was getting good looks because the 4 man was helping off then you could argue that, but I don't see that as being the case. We got good looks. We just need to hit more of them, and especially play better defense.

Would it be nice to get more production from the 5? Obviously. Are we doomed if we don't get more? No.